1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Reveals All-New Prius

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Jan 12, 2009.

1. nameless dude

nameless dude New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Really, sounds great. But can you tell me what the SRU is?

But I'm still a little dissapointed with the power. After all, everyone was expecting 160hp.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We weren't expecting 160hp. It was a last minute rumour.

3. nameless dude

nameless dude New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  4. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Gen III Prius

Shifter closeup

Same shifter, different position. It simply moves from the dash down to the centre console. Looks like it's momentary as before (i.e. you push it to a position to select a mode, then it returns to the 'dead' position when you release it). A compromise between being more agreeable for current owners, and more acceptable to prospective new owners, I suspect.

It was reportedly quite easy to knock when feeling for audio controls - Art's Automotive detail a problem report.

5. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  6. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    There were also rumors of a turbo, and anywhere from 60 to 100 mpg. All industry speculation, and unless it comes directly from Toyota, should be taken w/ a grain of salt. Anything after that is left to interpretation.

7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  8. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I feel like the solar paneled moonroof is a bit of overkill ... needless cost practically or at least not worth the money ... I mean really, open up the windows when it's hot for a few seconds and the hottest air is gone.

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the HUD is recessed so therefore covered. you would have to be pretty far north (like me) for sunlight to be an issue, and that would only occur in summer in late evening. (sun sets at 10 PM here in middle of summer)

as far as clarity, its primarily symbolized. if you dont have issues seeing the dash now, you wont with this one either. the HUD (dash) is much bigger and still has brightness controls for personal settings

10. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going to disagree. In Phoenix when it's 118°F outside, parking in the sun yields a heat soaked car of 140°F+ and a heat soaked A/C condenser. If we can keep the interior at "anbient", and give the A/C the 3 minute head start, that's a bit better for the HV battery and the occupants. I'm also interested in keeping temps lower to minimize dash warping that I experienced w/ the 2004.

Even w/ Heat Shields (I still have the one I won here for my 2004), the interior temp w/ cracked windows and one shade exceed outside temps.

11. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i remember it very well and am reminded of it every time i look at the picture (autographed by the Prius chief design engineer) of the development stage which includes the above along with 2 clay model interims and the final design

12. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Where we live this is true. It's pretty nifty, but not "needed" here. That's why it's an option. If you don't need it or want it, don't get it.

One of the things Toyota was very clear about is that the Prius is their technology flagship. You expect to see new and over-the-top features available on a new Prius. Eventually some of them work their way into other vehicles.

Tom

13. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    In fact, looking at the headlights alone, it looks like the second clay model, no?

14. fredthepostman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I agree about the cost of a solar moon roof being to expensive . Do you think its possible they would offer the moon roof without the solar panels? I like the open feeling a moon roof gives.

15. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Toyota has not released package information. We know about three pre-release packages, but that is all. Only one of the three pre-release packages has a moonroof, and that comes bundled with the PV panel and remote A/C.

Tom

16. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yet, almost all of the country ISN'T like Phoenix in the summer ... and a lot of people would like a sunroof but not if it costs THAT much more solely b/c of the solar panels ... all being said, no one knows the cost of that particular option.

17. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Exactly, and we don't know if the PV panel will be bundled with the moonroof on all of the moonroof packages. All we know for now is what is on the pre-release packages.

Tom

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    See, this keeps the interior cool BEFORE you enter the car. In fact, it keeps it cool WHILE the car is parked. Hence, it makes it easier to cool down the interior faster (whether you use the window method or not, the starting temperature is cooler). It'll put less strain on the A/C and hence the HV battery.

19. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Below shows the Iconic Prius setup. MG2 moves along with the wheels.
    [​IMG]

This one shows MG2 torque being multiply with a second planetary gear-set (Speed Reduction Unit). Notice: The ring gear is grounded so it will not move.
    [​IMG]

20. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Although I love the new Prius and can't wait to get my own, I'm disappointed about one thing. The steering wheel. It's dangerous. The top entire 180 degrees has ZERO steric hindrance. VERY dangerous! At the ten o'clock and two o'clock positions, there should be two protuberances to add steric hindrance while gripping the wheel. Otherwise, the driver's hands can easily slip on the wheel (especially in dry weather, when skin is dry).

[​IMG]

Here is the steering wheel from the Corolla, Matrix, Celica - tried and true Toyota safety standard for more than the past decade:
    [​IMG]
    I am including this just in case it's difficult to see the protuberances in the image above.
    [​IMG]
    MOST other auto manufacturers have these notches on their steering wheels. BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Porsche, and many, many more. I don't know why Toyota would not include such an important safety feature. :confused:

Attached Files: