1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Reveals All-New Prius

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Jan 12, 2009.

1. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You've not been around a student driver for the past 5 years have you?

Driver's are no longer taught to grip the wheel at 2 and 10 and or use a crossover technique as these are now considered to be dangerous due to the airbag.

Instead, new drivers are taught to place their hands at 4 and 8 with their palms up. Instead of the crossover technique they are taught the "Push Pull" technique that keeps your hands from crossing.

Steering wheels have slowly been adapting to these new methods. It is not by accident that all of the wheel buttons are on the bottom half of the wheel and more companies are switching to a 4 spoke wheels. The new Prius wheel as about perfect for the 4 and 8 position.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I can vouch for this explanation. It is correct.

Tom

3. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    WOW!! I learned a new phrase today: steric hindrance.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well, i can say i read it, so.... what does it mean?

5. carz89

carz89 I study nuclear science...

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  6. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Use 9-3 then? None of the Prius had a steering wheel with those protrudences.

8. KAR IDEA

KAR IDEA Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Just when I thought their couldn't possibly be any more topics...dang. : )

9. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Your hands go just below 9-3, exactly where the cross bars are.

Tom

10. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I always grip my steering wheel 9-3 - my hands go between the 9-3 spokes and the 10-2 protuberances - when I'm going straight. But as soon as I enter a turn, I move my hands to maintain the 9-3 and that's where those knobs come in to play even more so.
    Yes, you can use the 9-3 position when going straight (make a shape of a gun in your hand with two fingers sticking out, then wrap the bottom two under the 9-3 spokes on the wheel, and your thumbs over the spokes. Your two remaining fingers can either go on the wheel or operate a paddle shift. Congratulations, you're now a Formula One driver) BUT there's a problem that all of you are missing!!! Unlike a Formula One car, where the entire steering radius is covered by tilting the steering wheel from 90degrees to the left to 90 degrees to the right, a street car steering wheel requires you to move your hands and turn the wheel well beyond 90 degrees. As a result, you find many situations where the wheel is turned and you still need to be able to SAFELY grip the wheel ! Do you want a full 180 degrees with no spokes or protuberances? DANGEROUS! (FYI: note that in the third steering wheel photo above, when you grip at 9-3, your hands rest BETWEEN the spokes and the protuberances (in this case, you would not be using the F1 grip). Same with the Toyota steering wheel, pictured above it (2:30-9:30). How do I know the F1 grip? I watch F1 on television all the time; I know how they hold the wheel.

As a chemist, myself, I can inform you that the Wikipedia definition is correct for the use of steric hindrance in chemistry, BUT the term steric hindrance has a much more general meaning; to block something by spacially being between the object and where it is trying to go. You can clamp down on a steering wheel and hope that you have enough friction, or you can add a bunch of spokes that physically block your hands from moving on the wheel. That is steric hindrance. If a bouncer at a night club grabs your arm and relies on friction, that's not steric hindrance. If he stands between you and the stage and you push into him and he doesn't move, that is steric hindrance. I use the term at work and with engineers and physicists and everyone knows what I'm talking about.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/steric%20hindrance - in this sense, one functional group is at one end of the molecule and an apposing functional group is at the other end of the molecule. The atoms between the two functional groups prevent them from being spacially close enough to interact. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/steric
    Gosh darnit! I know I've heard the word used outside of chemistry. I know it! I know it! I know it! :D

11. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Look, I'm in love with my current Prius and the new one too, I might sell my bike, trade the RAV4 and buy a new 2010 Prius them my wife can have my 2004. I can have my cake and eat it!

12. carz89

carz89 I study nuclear science...

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep - I've heard it used outside of chemistry too ... here at PriusChat.

13. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ack, mountain out of a molehill. My coworker's $50k+ Porsche Cayman's leather wrapped steering wheel doesn't even have those 10-2 protuberances you like.

I doubt any Prius driver is going to miss them, either.

14. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Maybe he can add a speed-knob. :D

Tom

15. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    HUH ?????? :confused: A coworker of mine has a Cayman (hardtop boxster), and they sure do! Heck, even the Cayenne SUV has them! Are you sure? I don't know how to explain how your experience varies with mine. Maybe he has some special trim package or something that modifies the interior and steering wheel. hmmmm. not sure.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can tell you that the Alcantara wheel isn't standard. It's an option.

17. LYLUVLY

LYLUVLY New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Solar panel roof ! WOW. Now, has anyone thought of channeling all that solar power toward the HSD rather than to the AC system. It would have been nice to have the solar panels extend from the edge of the roof line to the front of the hood to double the sq inches of solar power. Hoping Toyota engineers keep up their good work.

18. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The solar power isn't even directed to the AC system... it drives a few fans, not the ac compressor.

19. dallas27

dallas27 Love my Jeep

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I feel very confident that the Solar Ultraviolet Cabin Circulation System is an evolutionary dead end. I predict you won't see any other companies doing similar sillyness.

And yes, that spells SUCCS.

20. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The solar panel and moon roof is the most popular choice among those that are pre-ordering.

It may be offered as an option now probably due to the cost but imagine when the price falls and panel efficiency increases in the future? It could potentially power other accessories and recharge the HV battery at a lower price. What if the solar panel powers the automatic window blind? ahem... I got carried away.