1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Reveals All-New Prius

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Jan 12, 2009.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL! I applaud the creativity!
    I think that PV costs will go down over the years and it is likely that many companies will adopt the concept as costs decline and efficiency goes up. But I still like the post!

2. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This is what is currently taught in Driver Education: YouTube - Video Driving Lesson 2 Push-Pull Steering - www.2pass.co.uk

Note this is a UK video and he is using a 10-2 grip. In Tennessee they are currently teaching 8-4 as the home position.

3. carz89

carz89 I study nuclear science...

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, very clever with the acronym!

But, I disagree with your Darwinian postulation. That was pretty silly for Toyota to develop a hybrid vehicle. Notice, no one followed their lead. Pretty silly for Toyota to apply Deming's teachings on quality manufacturing. That one didn't catch on, either, did it.

Toyota is not infallible, but I think this solar application is only the beginning (baby steps). It's ingenious, speaking as an engineer who has a fair grasp of the concepts of energy. I'm kind of surprised it took this long for it to show up in a mainstream vehicle. I'm certain other companies will replicate the rooftop solar thing. (BTW - Toyota isn't the first. see Audi, Mercedes) And Toyota and others will take it further -- covering the whole car eventually. Manufacturing costs will come down, PV cell efficiencies and technologies will improve. There's a company right now that can create windows that serve a dual role as PV cells (great for tall buildings, but could be useful in cars). I'll bet a company is working on trying to turn the whole body of a car into PV cells, complete with different colors.

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Mainstream is the keyword. I am only aware of solar panel being an option in $70k+ cars. This is the first time we are seeing it in an average price car (~$26k).

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what are the front cup holders like?:)

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One flips up away from you and the second one is actually hidden underneath the centre console box. You slid the box back to reveal the cupholder and then if you wish to open the box, you then lift it up.