1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Toyota Reveals EV Prototypes Ahead of 2020 Launch

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Apr 16, 2019.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    thanks for the factoid, & points well taken. Even so, one would think a heavy load would come through the cab rather than the cab pressing itself into the load. Rather than pull up another video that can't be disputed, the point still fairly represents many junk/cars trucks - even modernly.

#121 hill, Apr 24, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  2. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    China is the biggest car market in the world, the US the second. China is at 4% plug-ins on new car sales doubling in a year. World wide we are at 2%.

Each manufacturer does things a little differently. The coolant leaks we have all heard about were caused by a bad design on the volt system that could intrude during a crash test(collision). They redesigned it in 2012 I believe. Fiskar did an early recall because of a bad design for coolant leaks but that was around the same time and less than 100 were in custermers hands. All the manufacturers have a low coolant warning, but that might not come on during a small leak. We have had the biggest fire hazzard problems with non actively cooled lithium batteries (samsung phones was the latest). Crashes can cause battery damage with or without coolant systems, and these need to be inspected in plug-ins because of the high energy of the battery.

I'll just throw some random number out there, others can chime in with the real numbers. Let's say you car building today and pack cooling system adds $2000 to the the price to the consumer of a car. My guess is gm, hyundai/kia, and tesla model 3 are spending less perhaps bmw and tesla model S/X a little more. If you have a 40kwh+ system, that means you need to a temperature safe chemistry to cost less than $50/kwh more than a system that works fine actively cooled. Indications are that temperature safe chemistries cost much more than this depending on the envelope of temperatures. The marketing of cost of repairing/replacing a cooling system versus likely larger capacity loss in batteries is not a winning one. If the battery pack is small (8.8kwh, 68 kw) than the batteries may be much more expensive than those that require liquid cooling, but it may still be worthwhile to use them without a liquid cooling system. Who knows solid state appears to only need to be warmed and operate well without cooling.

3. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It is, but as I said, I know more about the USA market than the others. I suspect the same is the case for many others.

I wouldn’t call it fake news, just poorly written and you drew an, understandably, incorrect conclusion.
    The first number, 5.3 million, looks to exclude SUVs, light trucks, etc.
    The second number, I suspect, includes SUVs, light trucks, etc.

In the USA, when people refer to the auto market, they are generally referring to the Light Vehicle market. That includes SUVs, light trucks, crossovers, etc.

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I don't know if I'd call the Volt leak caused by bad design. The incident involved a crash tested car with a good chance that it would have been totaled or in undriveable condition that was left sitting for a week. It took that long for the leaking coolant to short the battery and start a fire. In order to reproduce the damage that resulted in the leak, the battery pack had to be crash tested without the surrounding car. GM installed some additional bracing, and a better level sensor, but in 5 to 10 years, such an incident would likely result in just the recommendation of draining the coolant after a crash.

PHEVs also have to engine to fall back on in the event the battery temperature does get too high. Switching to hybrid mode reduces the load on the battery, allowing it to cool.

If the Escape and Explorer NP hybrids and PHEV siblings do have liquid cooling, Ford may have opted for the liquid cooling for better PHEV performance and space saving, and determined using it on the hybrids resulted in cost savings in the part sharing between the models.

5. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We think they're expensive - but that's how markets go - they charge what people will pay. Our base models are often more highly specified than USA versions, though. My early Gen 4 base model had more gear on and, I think, some more safety gear than the US base models - eg RADAR Cruise was standard on our base model.

A Mazda3, Corolla etc are about AU$25,000 base model, KIA CERATO and i30 are available from about $20,000. But PRIUS is closer to $40,000 - because they can, and don't sell many as a result. Corolla Hatch hybrid is about $30,000 and Camry Hybrid is about $33,000.

NISSAN Leaf is coming (after 3 or 4 years absence) - later this year probably, no idea of the price. We used to have VOLT - but at $60,000+, they sold very few despite good reviews.

6. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  7. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Watching a FullyCharged YouTube, I saw the "Toyota Izoa" at a Chinese auto show. A nice car, they don't really go into the technical details so I found: Toyota C-HR Electric launched in China with 400 km range
    Spec Std Units SAE units
    1 Length 4405 mm 173 in
    2 Width 1795 mm 71 in
    3 Height 1575 mm 62 in
    4 Weight 2220 kg 4894 lbs
    5 Battery 54.3 kWh 54.3 kWh
    6 Power 150 kW 201 hp
    7 Range (*) 400 km 250 mi
    8 Top Speed 160 km/h 100 mph

* - range can be wildly inaccurate

Everything was fine until I read:
    The battery is waterproof, dustproof and also has an anti-rust coating on the bottom. To ensure the safety and performance of the battery cells and the high-voltage circuit, the battery pack is covered with cold air pipes to form a buffer zone.

Air cooled battery ... again! At this point, I lost all interest because we've seen how well air cooling worked for the Leaf and Prius.

It has the same size pack as our Std Rng Plus Model 3 but weights ~1,400 lbs more with a smaller motor. Add the air cooling and it has no appeal to me.

Bob Wilson

9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    In photos of the battery for this, or maybe the Lexus BEV, you can see the blowers.

10. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Leaf does not have any cooling system.
    Prius is forced air-cooled.
    UX300e-CHR EV have controlled (via ar conditioning, AFAIK) temperature forced air-cooled batteries.

11. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Air cooled is fine for hybrids, and is okay for PHEVs. A PHEV can always shift to hybrid mode if the battery gets too warm. The issue with air cooling there has more to do with packaging.

Packaging is also an issue for BEVs, but air cooling can work. The higher cost for heat tolerant chemistries will cancel cost saving from not having a liquid cooling system.