1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Safety Connect First Use

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by JimN, Jan 19, 2010.

1. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    New Announcement today as per Edmunds.

Roadside Assistance via SC = AAA Roadside Assistance

How this will work in the future is unknown at this time but I'm guessing that a call from the SOS button will be routed through Toyota to a local AAA office identified by the GPS locator.

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This makes sense as all Toyota does is find someone with a truck to tow the car. AAA has an established network. I would expect it to be cheaper for Toyota to outsource the process.

3. F512M

F512M Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My dealer did the set up and I tested it. It works well.

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    On the way home tonight there was a pickup truck blocking a lane which was causing traffic to back up. I used SC to get help for them. This time there wasn't any problem. AFAIK SC is now 2 for 3.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    1) Isn't / wasn't SC also supposed to be able to update the HD NAV system (otherwise, the HD is a waste, isn't it) ??

2) Isn't / wasn't SC also supposed to be able to disable motor operation the way 'on-star' can?

6. ToyotaFleetManager

ToyotaFleetManager New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    [1) Isn't / wasn't SC also supposed to be able to update the HD NAV system (otherwise, the HD is a waste, isn't it) ??

No. Safety connect does not update the NAV system. The factory nav system is DVD based and there is a map DVD installed in the system. Updated DVDs are avaliable though your dealership's parts department.

2) Isn't / wasn't SC also supposed to be able to disable motor operation the way 'on-star' can?

Again no. Safety Connect as it is currently set up cannot disable the vehicle. On Star can only do it on a very limited number of 2009 and 2010 models equipped with On Star. Most OnStar equipped vehicles cannot disable the vehicle.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The HDD nav (not applicable to NA vehicles) is updated via a USB drive or PCI card.. I forget. We used DVDs.