1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota says brake actuator needs replacing...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by HappyHybrid, Mar 1, 2023.

1. HappyHybrid

HappyHybrid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ... and they're wanting over $3000 to do it.

I normally take my 2007 to a local mechanic for repairs, since my local dealership has said things needed to be replaced before and really didn't. Local mechanic, for some reason was not picking up the phone today, so ended up having to take the car to the dealership where I bought it, they've had it most of today, and came back and said the above issue and replacement cost.

Backstory, ABS light came on about three to four weeks ago, next morning it was out again, and stayed out for several weeks. Saw that one of the first things to check was brake fluid, it looked a little low but was still between min and max, so since the light was still out, never topped it off.

It came on again when I was half way home from work last night and this time the red BRAKE light was on as well, and both stayed on still this morning.

Prior to all this, the brakes have been making the occasional pooty honking noises when I've been stopped at various stoplights, but when I asked about that before, multiple people said it was just air in the lines and wasn't a safety problem. So I left it.

Do I need to take my Prius for a second opinion before spending $3000+ to have this repaired? And is it something that HAS to be repaired immediately? The brakes themselves still work fine, don't feel any issues with stopping or anything.

They're going to have my car overnight to work on tomorrow, and send a shuttle back to get me so I can get a loaner tomorrow, would be nice if I could at least appear SOMEWHAT informed when I go back there to pick up the loaner.

Or just get my car and NOT have them do it and take it someplace else for a second opinion.

[edit - just got a second opinion over the phone from a smaller repair shop that specialized in hybrids, after pulling up my vin, they quoted me 2900+, with a better warranty (3 years) than the 12 months I will get from Toyota. Seriously thinking about taking it there instead.]

Need some help, please, Thank you in advance.

#1 HappyHybrid, Mar 1, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2023
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    sounds like a typical failure of this component (being over 15 years old). I would go with the cheapest option that will offer you a BRAND NEW Toyota actuator. Don't put in a used unit for a lower price. This original one lasted 15 years without issues.

Also many dealerships will offer coupons to reduce the cost of the repair, especially ones this high. They will generally have a 10% or 20% off coupon if you ask.

SFO likes this.
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Dang You are in Raleigh so where's your car at Fred Anderson I guess? My buddy doesn't work out they're any more but I still have account they're . This is not a super hard repair.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    My '09 we drove for oh God 9 months until the brakes went completely out and then when they went out they didn't really go completely out but you could tell you weren't going to do much else I was like one caliper working or something but that took a long time to happen I was actually quite surprised and the pump wasn't running and whirrrying all that much

5. HappyHybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Fred Anderson wouldn't give me any pricing over the phone when I was shopping for the Prius originally. I ended up going with Leith on Capital, since they were closer to home as well.

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    This is not a super real bad job You might want to consider rounding up the part hustling it off to somebody I know somebody in stem right over there off to the side of Raleigh a little bit Franklin county I could call him

7. HappyHybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is good to know, thank you! I've got to go back to sign off on the estimate and get my loaner, if I decide to have them do it. The fact that I've got someone able to do it for several hundred dollars less gives me some options so far as pricing goes. If they have wiggle room on what they charge me, via that possible 10-20% off, that gives me the choice to either get them to charge less, or I can take it elsewhere. And I really would prefer to take it to a local business vs Toyota. Not sure if I'll be going to my regular mechanic anymore, so would be a great opportunity to take the car to someplace that actually specializes in hybrids, maybe find a new regular mechanic for the scheduled maintenance and things.

8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm at 919 892 0363

SFO likes this.
  9. HappyHybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've got a bedridden parent that I need to be home for as much as possible when I'm not working, so trying to do this with minimal muss and fuss if I can. Will likely just go with the local hybrid folks if Toyota doesn't work out, since I am likely looking for another mechanic to handle the routine stuff as well.

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Honestly, for me, the first thing I'd have checked would have been the trouble codes for why the light was on, and I'd have checked that three to four weeks ago. Doesn't take any special tools to do it this way:

Blink (a/k/a Flash) Codes – How to. | PriusChat

You can always check the fluid level next—or, if the codes you get include the one for low brake fluid. And if the trouble is something else, you'll have found that out right away.

If you can, see if you can remember who all the multiple people were who said air in a brake system isn't a safety problem. You can keep them as friends or whatever. Just don't ask them questions about brakes. (Or, see if you can find out whether any of them took out large life insurance policies on you recently.)

The most common way the brake system fails, if it's going to fail, is into a fail-safe mode where you have to shove really hard on the brake pedal and the car doesn't stop easily, but it does stop. Gets the blood pumping, but manageable.

On the other hand, if enough air's in there, the failure mode you get can be the one where you would like the car to slow down or stop and that doesn't happen. That one seems to be quite unpopular, though not everyone it's happened to responds to surveys.

11. ydoc5212

ydoc5212 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm in the same boat here for the $3000 estimate! Toyota recently told me during maintenance that I had to repair the ABS brake actuator. I asked if it was necessary, and they told me "I wouldn't drive a car that had this going on." Car has been making this noise for at least the last 6 months or so that I've noticed, and it's up to every 15 seconds. But I never got any warning lights, brake lights or ABS lights. The brakes aren't really squishy, it just makes that noise, and add in some squeaks when I depress the brake pedal. Car feels fine.

I'm going to probably keep driving it until brakes are totally gone, just keeping some distance between myself and other cars. I can't afford an expensive repair because i JUST replaced my front brakepads, which was itself a $1500 endeavor.

12. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    SFO likes this.
  13. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    1500 1500 for brakes on the front or all the way around a generation 2 Prius is a shocker to me no kidding wow even with new pads new rotors and new rear drums that's still pushing it this is an easy car to do this kind of work on too. The break actuator I would look around. The JDM importers can bring you a part in for about $150 from a low mileage takeout from Asia I could buy three or four of those and still be cheaper than the brand new part that should in fact last 15 years I realize but with some of today's manufacturing and whatever's going on I wonder if that will really be true Am I really buying a break actuator part that was made back in 2007 or 9? Or is the break actuator that I'm purchasing new today made 3 months ago? I think on some of this stuff it makes a difference then my case for my four vehicles I would order the actuator from the JDM guys just my take on it I can change it out in a couple hours at the house pretty quick.

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Can't endorse that position. Observations like "brakes aren't really squishy" and "car feels fine" are kind of beside the point, because the whole way this brake system is built, it completely masks the feel of incipient failure, until it doesn't. (If you were to read the repair manual, you'd find all kinds of odd implications of that, just in ordinary repair work, like checking for a warped brake rotor. Normally you'd expect to feel the pedal pulsate, but in a Prius there's an extra step needed to take the computer out of the loop so you can feel that.)

When things get to the point the system no longer can mask them, you will usually have an experience where you have to stand really hard on the pedal to stop the car, and it's only braking with the front wheels so stability may be weird.

If there are bubbles in there, though, and they're big enough, then the moment the car no longer can mask them can be the moment you find your car isn't going to stop.

Is $1500 a typical price for a front pad job in Menlo Park? :eek:

I would compare, though, to how easily you could afford some other person's personal-injury attorney finding out you'd been ignoring a brake issue for six months before hitting her client. Maybe a quick look at the current limits on your insurance policy, and what's covered/excluded.

15. ydoc5212

ydoc5212 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the feedback. That's good to know it won't fail soft before it fails hard, guess I'll just have to hustle and get it repaired.

In that case, I will search for a low quote in the San Jose area because car repair is expensive around here. Any known recs?

Can't say for sure--I've never had to replace brakes on a car before! That said, cost of living is extreme in this area and I would be inclined to believe you if you told me it's way too much.

16. Priutic

Priutic New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    How did your repair go? I’m also looking for a mechanic.

17. ydoc5212

ydoc5212 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I looked back at some files nad it turns out if was part of a much larger job, I wasn't able to get the itemized price for the brake repair.

I have a repair scheduled with Art's Auto in Berkeley, CA for $2800 on Monday. I'll also chime in about how it goes.

18. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Our area is fairly high cost, of the "just because you live there we will charge you more" type, although not Menlo Park levels. I will state categorically even in California that $1500 is an insane price for a front brake job, even if it included new rotors, pads, and every other piece of hardware near the rotors (except maybe the calipers or new brake lines). Maybe on some super expensive niche vehicle you would pay that much for a standard brake job, but never for a Prius.

19. PriuSocal

PriuSocal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Its crazy how much shops charge nowadays and some even do lousy jobs as is. I bought a prius from someone who was quoted over $3k to replace the actuator at a regular shop (not Toyota) and they opted to sell the car at a loss. I picked it up, went on youtube and saw 3-4 videos on how it was done, picked up a used part and 3 hours later, out with the old in with the new (used part that is). It's scary looking job but not as bad if you have the right tools and patience. Too bad you're in Northern cali, otherwise I'd be glad to assist with this.

I read that first rule of thumb when you have a suspected failing/failed ABS pump, to check your brake fluid (dot 3) levels. Then your ABS fuses under the hood, then for leaks and finally if your OBD2 reader gives the dreaded C1256, C1252 code...then its time for a new ABS accumulator/actuator/pump (whichever you prefer calling it).

P.S...some will say you need the matching resistor that is behind the dashboard for the accumulator to work as Toyota tends to also include that with the new part (so I have heard) BUT, I for one can say that is not the case as I did not use the matching resistor and car is running great with original one.

#19 PriuSocal, Mar 28, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2023