1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Toyota sees the electric light

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Apr 6, 2023.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: AD #3540 – Toyota to Make Major Pivot to EVs; Ram EV Gets 500 Miles of Range; Ford Debuts Small Electric Van – Autoline Daily

0:00 Toyota to Make Major Pivot to EVs
    1:36 GMC Adds Diesel to Off-Road Model
    2:39 Foxconn Makes EV Tractors in Ohio
    3:49 Ram EV Gets 500 Miles of Range
    5:33 Jeep Wrangler Updated
    6:30 Hyundai Reveals Kona EV Details
    8:09 Ford Debuts Small Electric Commercial Van
    9:56 Toyota Prius Prime Will be Limited (*)
    . . .
    TOYOTA TO MAKE MAJOR PIVOT TO EVs
    Look for Toyota to make a major pivot and start a big push into the EV segment. In fact, look for it to start copying a lot of what Tesla does. Toyota is not going to give up on hybrids, but it is going to scrap its current EV architecture, called eTNGA, and go with a clean sheet design. Toyota underestimated how fast battery costs would come down and how fast demand for EVs would go up. It’s now significantly behind Tesla and other OEMs which is hurting its sales and profitability. As we reported, Toyota lost $558 million in North America last year, and its sales dropped 9% in the first quarter. So why the sudden change in heart when it comes to EVs? Akio Toyoda, the former CEO, was skeptical of electric cars, but the new CEO, Koji Sato, recognizes the old strategy puts the company at a severe disadvantage, and that he needs to make big changes fast.

By the way this is going to be one of the topics on Autoline After Hours this afternoon. Laurie Harbour, a manufacturing expert with Harbour Results, and Dan Carney from Design News will also be on the show. And we invite you to join John and Gary when the show goes live this afternoon at 3 pm eastern time.
    Guess the electric light came on.

Bob Wilson

* - Southeast Toyota is so corrupt, I doubt even these will be available.

Montgomery and Zythryn like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    toyota copying tesla? that's going to make a few toyota fanboys here very unhappy.

let the doctors begin their spin! :p

Trollbait and PriusG909 like this.
  3. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it takes a long time to turn a big ship with a small rudder

PriusG909 and Zythryn like this.
  5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Toyota states that they will accelerate their transition plans, moving to a clean-sheet design sooner than originally planned. The media spins that as if Toyota is abruptly dropping their current offering, portraying an "abandon ship" scenario.

Reality is, the current platform works fine but will struggle to be competitive sooner than anticipated, since it is more expensive to produce and less efficient overall. It is still selling though. The example sighted on a regular basis is Norway, where in March there were 1,076 bZ4X purchased.

What really matters is what happens during the next few years. Each of the legacy automakers will face quality & realibity challenges. Now being a bZ4X owner, I can point out how Toyota isn't as far behind overall as the narrative portrays.

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Who?

Toyota already has plans in place for their next-gen traction-motor and new batteries. Focusing on a platform that can be produced faster for less is a logical step.

What unhappiness is there? Seeking greater profit from that... like Tesla... isn't a bad thing.

7. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Unhappy fanboys? Say it ain't so?

PriusG909 likes this.
  8. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A clean sheet design requires them to give up all the current profitability they have with their parts makers and factories... Them saying they're gonna accelerate their transition plans kinda sounds like the only one legged person in a foot race claiming they're gonna catch up with the other runners.

Trollbait likes this.
  9. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota says it will invest extra $2.5 billion in North Carolina plant (cnbc.com)

"Automotive giant Toyota said Wednesday it would invest an extra $2.5 billion in a U.S. facility that will manufacture batteries for both hybrid electric and battery electric vehicles.

Toyota Battery Manufacturing North Carolina is set to start operations in 2025, with the firm stating that total investment in the plant will now amount to $3.8 billion."

Toyota Will Assemble New EVs in Kentucky, Starting With an Electric SUV: Report (thedrive.com)

"A new electric RAV4 may be on the horizon, with a new home for assembly and rebate-friendly batteries to power it."

Toyota defends title as world's top-selling automaker in 2022 | Reuters

"Toyota Motor Corp (7203.T) sold 10.5 million vehicles in 2022, it said on Monday, defending its title as the world's top-selling automaker for a third straight year."

2023 Toyota BZ 'Corolla' electric car spied in China - Drive

"Toyota is believed to be working on a new small electric car with China's BYD – and prototypes have hit the road, with concept car-inspired styling."

Toyota plans solid-state battery by 2025, but it won't be for an EV - CNET

#9 John321, Apr 6, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2023
  10. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For perspective: Automakers electric vehicle investment plans

telmo744 likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    only one fanboy left to show up and defend toyota :cool:

12. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I test drove a bZ4x the other day. Absolutely loved it. Unfortunately, not enough range for our needs. We're likely going with a Rav4 Prime. But the bZ4x is an awesome 1st step. Hoping they get their act together on this "clean slate" they're starting with.

John321 likes this.
  13. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you the fanboy to which you're referring to? If not, who is this fanboy of which you speak? Not seeing them? Maybe I have them on ignore? :)

PriusG909 likes this.
  14. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    3/24/2023

Toyota is in talks with LG Energy Solution for a potential partnership - TechGoing

"Toyota is in talks with LG New Energy about a potential partnership, LG New Energy CEO Kwon Eung-soo revealed after a shareholder meeting on Friday local time, saying that talks between the two companies about a potential partnership, including a possible joint venture, are well underway.

Although Kwon did not reveal more details, Toyota is in talks with battery-focused LG New Energy about a potential partnership, apparently in the area of electric vehicle batteries, with LG New Energy supplying batteries to Toyota or the two companies forming a joint venture to manufacture batteries and then supplying them to Toyota for use in the electric vehicles they produce."

#14 John321, Apr 6, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2023
    Zythryn likes this.
  15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Zythryn likes this.
  16. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    PriusG909 likes this.
  17. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I test drove a bZ4X yesterday and really liked it. A very good offering, I just think that most buyers for that car size and price category aren't giving Toyota a chance...probably because of their anti-EV position over the years.

Why did I do this?
    4 days ago my 2012 Prius plugin had the catalytic converter stolen. Dealer says they have 60 people on the waiting list and it will take 6 months to be fixed. I didn't want/need another long range EV (I have a Tesa M3). So I bought a Chevy Bolt EV today. My local dealer said 6-8 weeks to order a Bolt, but I was able to find one 50 miles away ($30K instead of $50K for the Toyota) I was really waiting for the so-called Tesla Model 2 to replace the PIP.
    Anyway, if the range of the bZ4X is OK for someone then it is a great car and has a very familiar Toyota feel to it for a primary car.

Mike

iplug, Zythryn, hill and 2 others like this.
  18. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I suspect Toyota took a 'time out' based on some PowerPoint charts shared in 2001. Accurate at the time, batteries were too expensive, heavy, and costly. Also, hydrogen would be the fuel of the future where like fusion energy, it will always be. So the brilliantly engineered, 2001 Prius was the optimum solution.

Sad to say, Toyota became deaf to technology advancement. Even though they had an early collaboration with Tesla, they took their Tesla stock profits and stuffed cotton in their ears (or at least their engineering ears.) So I welcome Toyota catching up. Even now, their mastery of dual motor, hybrid transmissions remains technically superb.

I'm not in the market for their current EV (too inefficient and expensive,) but I suspect they'll pivot like an ice skater and head to the front of the pack ... in a short number of years. They are clever people.

Bob Wilson

iplug and John321 like this.
  19. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota also will have the benefit not just of their own expertise but examples like Tesla, KIA/Hyundai, Rivian and others who are and have improved electric vehicle cost efficiency-electrical efficiency of components and expanded the customer base for electric vehicles. Not to mention the current monetary allure of the EV market segment.

20. Prashanta

Prashanta Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    Every automaker copies best practises, reverse engineers, and benchmarks competitors'vehicles. Those that don't have gone the way of the dodo.

drash likes this.