1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Settlement - speculations

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Dec 27, 2012.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    All we know so far is there is a court filing. We'll have to see if our NHW11 Prius is covered:
    Source: Toyota seeks to settle acceleration case for $1.1 billion| Reuters

We know our Prius uses dual-pot encoders for the accelerator, steering torque sensors, and throttle body position encoder. Thanks to Doug, we learned failed accelerator encoders can be disassembled, cleaned, and returned to service. Thanks to NASA GSFC, we know at least one Camry with a similar accelerator encoder had tin whiskers. Examination of a Scion accelerator reveals a similar encoder design and the Scion was mentioned.

It will probably take 30 days or so before we hear the details and whether or not the NHW11 Prius is included. Given it is a decade old, long since out of manufacture, and the software is not field upgradable, we are likely to see a fixed settlement . . . IF ANY.

This is not a Christmas present but an attempt to deal with an unexpected but latent design defect. True, 99.9% of all run-away incidents were probably due to operator error: confusing the brake and accelerator. I have never felt it was impossible, just very improbable.

Thursday morning I will drive my 2003 Prius to work and run errands with no fear. However, I know that shifting into "N" instantly takes all power off and the engine controller won't let it 'blow up.' Even if it does, I won't care as we've gotten over 100,000 miles at 52 MPG.

Bob Wilson

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Reading the PDF, I find that we won't be offered a brake override retrofit, or the cash payment in lieu of such a retrofit, because our hybrid vehicles already include Parts Protection Logic providing a similar function. Any of us who, during the big adverse publicity period in 2009-2010, sold our vehicles, had them totaled, broke leases early, or were in the leasing business and had losses of residual value, may be able to submit claims for the economic loss.

Perhaps the nicest news for those of us still driving our cars will be a minimum three more years of warranty coverage on the ECM, accelerator pedal assembly, throttle body, cruise control switch, and brake light switch. That should at least save us the effort of dismantling our pedal assemblies if we should happen to experience Big Hand Syndrome in the next few years ... further reducing the expected costs of known trouble areas in our ten year old cars. Not bad!

-Chap

bwilson4web likes this.
  4. Catbird9

Catbird9 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Chap: "Perhaps the nicest news for those of us still driving our cars will be a minimum three more years of warranty coverage on the ECM, accelerator pedal assembly, throttle body, cruise control switch, and brake light switch."
    Right, saw that, but that coverage apparently would not start until the settlement is approved, in June 2013. I wondered if it would apply retroactively to a problem that might occur in the subject parts between now (car is over 10 yrs old, all warranties have expired) and 6 months from now, when the extended warranty takes effect. (If the settlement is approved.)
    Fingers crossed <--- (my default setting, at this point!)