1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota should buy Chrysler from Daimler

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cnschult, Jan 10, 2008.

1. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well Mercedes put chrysler up for sale awhile back shortly after buying the U.S. automaker. here's why Toyota should buy Chrysler:

Toyota makes the most reliable, cutting-edge, fuel efficient powertrains on earth, their cars are also 99% as safe as a volvo or saab and have high resale value.

Chrysler still dominates the minivan market (although this years redesign is ugly). The rest of chrysler cars are unsafe, unreliable, unefficient, and have poor resale value. So why do people still buy them? Because those people are uneducated people who buy Chrysler cars simply because they are so sexy and attractive.

What if they merged?
    Toyota would stick to only making the frames and other safety devices, as well as the engines/transmission and all other mechanically devices.
    Chrysler would only make the sexy bodies and plush interiors.
    They would combine to make the perfect car.

the only downside is that their perfect cars would dominate the auto industry & put everyone else out of business, but maybe that's not so bad after all? . . . your thoughts?

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Why should Toyota weigh themselves down but throwing good money into Chrysler?

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What she said.

Toyota as a company is already very large. It owns Hino and Daihatsu (both are considerably smaller than Chrysler). If you've been to Japan, (or just check the Japanese website), you'll find that there are TONS of Toyota models available to the Japanese consumers. Take all the cars we have here (from Yaris to LS600h L) and double it. Heck, Triple it. That's probably closer to the number of models they have there.

4. MKL

MKL New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If history is a guide, the idea won't work. Remember the Sterling (sexy British interior / exterior with Honda mechanicals)? Remember Merkur (sexy German interior / exterior with Ford mechanicals)? Remember how many BILLIONS BMW lost a few years ago after trying to turn Rover around - Rover had nice styling a decent branding, but their powertrains were obsolete. There are many other examples, all with the same idea. None of them worked.

The same culture that leads the Japanese to produce such innovative engineering designs also leads to generally ultra-conservative (boring) styling both inside and out. Yes, I know, there are exceptions, but everyone has been dreaming for years for a car where European sex appeal is combined with Japanese reliability, and so far nobody has delivered.

When you find a Cindy Crawford who can dance like a stripper and is still a Stepford wife who performs the daily chores reliably, you've found a merger like Toyota and Chrysler. Unfortunately, it's very, very rare to find both of these very divergent personalities living together in one body (or organization, as the case may be).

-MKL '08 Prius Touring 6

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Maybe Toyota doesn't WANT Chrysler. Maybe their saving up for when GM is sold off by the banruptcy court ... pennies on the dollar ... revamping all their plants ... in Canada and Mexico. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

6. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    GM isn't going anywhere, they do very well in other parts of the world, including China, they only struggle here cause of the lazy & greedy american work force.

in america Buick is something your grandfather would drive.
    in china Buick is considered as nice as a lexus or benz.

GM has poor leadership, anyone see that gorgeous park avenue avail in china that won't be sold in america for fear that it would steal sales from the lacrosse. what idiots? the park avenue is better looking and is an american icon, the lacrosse is garbage.

the new malibu hybrid gets about the same gas mileage as a corolla, gimme a break, chevy should have dropped all projects & gotten that sexy volt on sale, even I'd sell my prius for a plug-in chevy volt

7. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What is the upside of Toyota buying Chrysler? There isn't one. Will not happen for a myriad of reasons.

8. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    And none of that will ever come out of a mini-van! hahaha...

BAM!

The only reason Toyota would buy Chrysler would be for the name... But every Chrysler that I know about is a complete FPOS. I'll bet that Toyota wouldn't take Chrylser even if it were given to them!

9. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Would it come with the idea of paying the health care of long term workers for life? Where todays car buyer subsidises last years car buyer?
    Who would buy into that?

I agree, Toyota wouldn't take on Chrysler even as a gift.

10. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    getting some more factories, a well trained workforce (sometimes a bad thing, since a TON of retooling above the neck will be required)

might not be a bad thing...however, i would only do it to get their resources, i would immediately dump their entire product line. nothing worth keeping.

11. blamy

blamy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Heaven forbid! Why burden yourself with such a bad Mark. Last nice car they built was a 64 Sport Fury with a 383 cu in engine and a Torqueflite tranny. (that ought to get the fuel mileage crowd's panties in a wad! LOL!)

12. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thats actually not true. The Minivans do VERY well. The Jeep line is very popular, Dodge trucks are very popular, the 300 series sedan does well, they do a lot of fleet business.

I do agree however Toyota would never purchase Chrysler. In any event Chrysler was already purchased.