1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Shows Distain: Even for their Own RAV4-EV

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by hill, May 6, 2014.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    similarly on the topic of tow rating & (the other/high voltage) inverters .... our hybrid Lexus (awd) suv had a recall due to overheating of the traction pack inverters - hot day / uphill / towing could make quick work of Toyota/Lexus' ability to keep the thing cool. I've tried to keep up on any issues the plugin Mitsu Outlander might have - as there's a ton of them sold world wide (soon in the US too). Haven't heard of any problems yet. So it looks like the existing cooling/towing technology won't be an issue . . . & the Outlander's supposed to have tow rating capability here as well - whenever it finally gets here.

2. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I remember gas stations, I was at one a couple of months ago. :D

mozdzen and cwerdna like this.
  3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    And it will likely have a tow rating lower than it does in Europe. The thing to keep in mind when reading about tow ratings for cars over there is that the tongue weight of the trailers are half that of trailers in the US.

So a US regulation trailer is putting more weight onto the rear of the towing vehicle. The least problem with this is that it is more weight that needs to counted against the vehicle's payload. The other issues that could arise is that the rear end structure wasn't designed for this extra weight, and with FWD, the extra weight at the back end can reduce front end traction.

The trailer could be loaded to have a lower tongue weight, but at the European level, the combination of car and trailer has a hard speed limit of 60mph. It is a hard one because at 65mph the trailer is uncontrollably swaying back on forth, and you will soon crash.

European regs opted for towing more while American ones opted for safety.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Seems like the issue still stands that I'd mentioned. Namely if u.s. tow ratings are higher - that's going to put more demand on the traction-pack inverters' cooling system - hybrid OR plugin.

5. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Tesla Truck is in the works, just wait and tow with a Tesla Truck! ;)

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    To segway back to the OP - rather than bash the plug - perhaps Toyota is planning a more effective way (than negative advertising) to forstall the ev market & image, by looking to release a puny plug ? ;
    https://priuschat.com/index.php?posts/2434782
    Could that be it? Push something so ridiculous maybe they believe it will turn off all perspective EV buyers for good? With so many affordable 200-mile + models coming soon from other manufacturers - it seems like that strategy would be useless. I don't get it. I see the 'Aygo' ... & it makes me want to say, "I go" - to another manufacturer.

#386 hill, Oct 20, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  7. PriusC_Commuter

PriusC_Commuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    All I can say is.... .... ........... ......... ... ... .. ............. I'm surprised that was filmed in Hermosa Beach instead of in Japan...

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: 2016 Toyota Prius Offers Light Towing and AWD In non-US Markets

[​IMG]
    For the first time in the Toyota Prius’ 19-year history are optional towing capability and all-wheel drive, but neither of these are offered in the U.S.

While the fully revised mid-sized hybrid is essentially the same in all global markets, Toyota has tailored it to meet specific government regulations as needed in different countries, and has made choices about what consumers may want.

In the U.S., news of no “E-Four” all-wheel drive, an approximately $1,450 option available only in Japan, was published last fall, and currently, adding to the list of options not sold in the States is towing, which Toyota in the UK recently began promoting.
    . . .

Any towing capability above 0 is better than none because it means inclusion of control law, wiring, and suspension mods. Otherwise, we just drop the tie-down anchors and bolt on a receiver. Worse, Toyota loses the option of selling the engineering that is isolated to Japan and the UK.

Every company has the right to make mistakes (i.e., EV1, Ford Pinto) and live with the consequences.

Bob Wilson

cwerdna likes this.
  9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    (sigh . . . . . ) towing on U.S. Prime? After all Bob's quoted article says Toyota is making choices to fit markets. Doesn't that mean choices we'd want ? Or does it mean choices that fit regulations and they won't beef things up if necessary to meet the U.S. regulations.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i should be making toyota's mistakes. just the crumbs would be fine...

11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I've seen our EU and Aussi friends also bitterly complain about the poor choice of Prius variants offered.

Bob Wilson

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Pat Sparks was always one to be vocal. That ought to bring him back onto the boards.

13. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You'd think they'd learn after the iQ EV, but maybe they have miraculously cut their price by half.

It's more the later. From other articles about the gen4 towing, it sounded like the hybrid system had inadequate cooling in previous models.The technical reasons for not towing are no longer in place, and they are on US versions of the car. But differing regulations for the trailer changes the forces that the car has to deal with.

The UK Aveo with the 1.4 turbo is rated for towing 500kg without trailer brakes and 1100kg with them. My Sonic is rated for 0. The cars are the same. No need to beef up the rear suspension in the UK since a 1100kg trailer there will put 55kg less weight onto the car than if the trailer was in the US. A traditional ICE car's drivetrain is more robust when it comes to towing than HSD and other hybrids. There is virtually no car in the US rated to tow.

Now they could have a rating of some type, but demand for a car that tows is low. The customers maybe brainwashed into thinking they need a truck to tow, but as long as the Corolla and Camry can't tow in the US, neither will the Prius.

14. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well there are customers outside the US for such a vehicle. https://priuschat.com/index.php?posts/2434782 Toyota has other markets to consider as well. I really don't get the need to tow with a Prius? What are persons in the US wanting to tow? Most RV's are 5th wheels in the US so you would need a full size pick up.

15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Perhaps the anti-tow crowd are thinking I would prefer:
    [​IMG]
    Seriously, let's get a sense of perspective.

A home owner, I occasionally need a sheet or two of plywood, some 2x4s, or other oversized loads to keep the house up. Buying or renting a vehicle just to carry those loads home is nuts:
    [​IMG]
    Strapping to the roof is equally nuts (before I got the receiver and folding trailer kit from Harbor Freight.)

I don't want or need a pickup 24x7 and sure don't want to rent one for $50 to carry $25 worth of stuff. So a light, utility trailer and tow hitch makes a lot of sense. I've also towed a 12 ft. Jon boat. This is not that hard of a problem to understand.

Bob Wilson

jtv, RCO and Trollbait like this.
  16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Yes, and many lightweight campers just need that portable or even collapsible trailer just to tow a couple jet skis or dirt bikes or a little bit of camping stuff. There are plenty of light weight trailer setup that i've already seen the pri pulling down the highway;
    New Picture (2).jpg
    Doesn't mean you'll get warranty support if you blow an inverter.
    Gone (for the most part) are the days when folks are regularly towing horses & steers where you need a massive tow package / trailer brakes / heavy duty suspension / cooling.

RCO likes this.
  17. mozdzen

mozdzen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    One could always "pay" for delivery instead of renting the vehicle, or borrow a neighbor's truck. Maybe this is a new category for Uber - pickup trucks swarming waiting for someone to come out of Home Depot with plywood that won't fit in their car?

RCO and bwilson4web like this.
  18. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Home depot and Storage spots in Austin already have U-Haul truck rental with low hourly or daily rates for short mileage hauls. I have and many friends have used this service.

mozdzen likes this.
  19. mozdzen

mozdzen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    And towing with a Prius is just ridiculous. I don't care what it would look like with a hitch, I would want to know what my 0 to 60 mph time is towing the max capacity and would like to know what my maximum speed would be going up a 6 % grade.

20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Research:

Bob Wilson

Ashlem, RCO, kensiko and 3 others like this.