1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Signal Mirrors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Shane, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Now that issues seem to have cooled down, there is an additional mod that can be done to the signal mirrors.

I intend to wire in resistors and diodes from the parking lights to the signal mirrors so that the signal mirrors light up at a low level and, in effect, become side marker lights.

I will need to do some experimenting to determine the size of the resistor needed. A separate resistor/diode pair will be required for each signal light.

The connection can be made at the connector panel where the signal lights were originally connected.

2. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(syclone @ Jan 4 2007, 11:57 PM) [snapback]371123[/snapback]</div>
    Interesting-please keep us posted on this project; I would consider this modification.

3. nyconrad

nyconrad Cconrad in Virginia

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CyJak @ Jan 4 2007, 05:11 PM) [snapback]370980[/snapback]</div>
    My understanding is that its no easy task getting throught the firewall (from postings I've read) Making the connection under the dash is not very hard - getting through the rubber from the door to the car body is do-able, with patience.

One thought we had while doing our installs was tracing out the wiring that runs under the channel at the door threshold and tapping into the wires that go to the rear turn signals. You would need a signal tracer (fox and hound) to identify the wires, but it should be an easier connection there.

Good luck with your install.

4. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have been looking to install the signal mirror for a while now.
    This weekend, I finally did it successfully. Thanks for everyone who posted in this thread. Your postings have been of great help to me.
    Allow me to summarize my experience for those who wish to do it as well.
    I purchase my signal mirrors from the EBayer guy, Tommy.
    You should be able to find it by searching "Prius Signal Mirror" on Ebay.

- sequence to replace the cover (I describe the passenger side. The driver side is similar).
    1. Pull out the tweeter outward with gentle-increasing force.
    The metal pin on the top has the tendency to fall inside the mirror.
    No worry. You will take apart of the mirror anyway. You will have it again.
    Detach the wiring connector to the tweeter.
    2. unscrew the inside door handle - take it out.
    3. Pull the inside door latch.
    Pop out the plastic trim piece with the flat screw drive.
    Once done, you will see one screw. Unscrew it.
    4. Pull the door panel from the lower side (with gentle-increasing force).
    Gradually do the same to left and right side of the door panel.
    Once you have loosen the door panel, look behind the panel and disconnect connectors.
    5. Disconnect the connectors to the mirror (powered mirrors).
    6. Loosen the three nuts holding the mirror assemble to the body.
    Remove the mirror assemble by pulling the wire gently thru the hole.
    7. (now you have the mirror assemble free from the car).
    Push the upside of the mirror inward gently (you will hear clicking sound, but it is normal).
    The mirror is hold in place by four contact points.
    You need to use a flat screw driver to pop loose the bottom two.
    Once you have done that, the top two contact points are easy to slide out at certain angle.
    Don't force those two out. You may break the contact points.
    Now you have the mirror connected by two wires to the base.
    Disconnect the two wires (mark them so you know which is which).
    The mirror is now free from the base.
    8. Look inside the base and your will see 6+ latches that hold the cover to the base.
    Push some of them loose (I did mine on the top ones).
    Once you make some loose, others are easy to come off.
    Now you have the cover free from the base.
    9. Look at the base from the bottom, you will see three screws. Loosen them.
    Now the mirror base is loosely connected to the plate that holds it to the car.
    You need to do this step to run the signal wires.
    10. Run the wire pair (black and red) thru the hole by following the power mirror wiring.
    This should be obvious. So I won't explain it more.
    The trick part is that you need to cut a small hole on the tape so the wire pair could come out of the tube.
    You will see what I mean when you actually do it.
    11. Now the wiring is in place. Unscrew two black pieces with screws from the signal cover.
    Push the signal cover to the base with force enough to heard clicking sound.
    Make sure all sides are pushed into place by making sure all latches are latched properly.
    I found the fit to be very good. If you disagree, you need to try harder or investigate what is wrong.
    One latches are in place, screw on the two black pieces you just took out.
    The two are different from each other. Make sure you screw them on properly.
    12. At this point, you might want to tighten the wires with tapes along the power-mirror wires.
    13. Screw tight the three screws on the bottom side, make sure you tighten the wires while doing this.
    14. Run wires (power mirror and signal mirror) thru the hole on the door,
    and attach the mirror assemble to the door from outside so that the three bolts are visible from inside.
    Put on the nuts and tighten them.
    !!! Watch out: Don't over-tighten the nuts. You may break the bolts.
    15. Connect the power mirror wire connector.
    16. Pull the some portion of the clear plastic cover for the power window so that the
    signal mirror wires (B&R) can run reach inside the door toward the rubber boot.
    17. Pop out the rubber boots on the door side. You should be able to run the wires to the
    door-end of the rubber boot. Pull the wires out from the rubber boot.
    Put the door panel back into place by reconnecting all the connectors and snap all contact points in place.
    18. Pop out the rubber boot on the body end (not entirely - I found it impossible).
    Make a small cut on the top side about 2cm in length.
    You need to cut it on the inner portion so rain water would not cause a leak.
    19. Find a cloth hanger that is made of metal wires.
    Take a piece of metal wire from it about 1-ft long. Bend one end to make a circle and flatten it.
    Attach your signal mirror wires to the other end and hold them to the metal wire with duck tape.
    Put some oil (I used cooking oil) to lessen friction on the whole wire setup.
    20. Run the wire setup you just made from the door-end of rubber boot to the body end.
    This would not be easy but not that hard either
    (especially now that you have read this, I hope it becomes easier).
    When the wire setup reaches the body end (you can see it visually).
    Open the cut you made and use a plyer to pull the wire setup out of the rubber boot.
    With luck, the signal wires should come out if they are still attached to the wire setup.
    Don't give up. This is the toughest part.
    21. Loosen the trim pieces at the doorsill and the bigger piece near the rubber boot so that the wires
    can be reached from the rubber boot (it is hard to discribe w/o picture,
    but you will know which one. It is obvious.)
    21. Now, put the wire setup into the rubber boot thru the cut toward the inside of passenger side.
    This part is easier than the previous leg. Once this is successful, pull the wires inside the passenger side.
    Now the most difficult part is over. Congrads!
    22. Refit the larger trim piece near the rubber boot.

- running the wires
    1. You can either follow other people' suggestion by running the wires to the fuse box or other ways.
    As long as they are signal wires, the LEDs would light up properly.
    For me, I don't like to deal with dash assembly (cause rattles, noises, etc.).
    I ran the wires to the rear-end by following the doorsills, behind the rear seats, traction battery,
    then to the rear signal lights. Make wire taps there.
    Red->Green/Yellow. Black to Black/White.
    2. Put all the trim pieces back in place.
    3. Test the signal mirror. Voila!!!!

OK. One side is done. Repeat the whole process on the driver side. The only difference I found was that one connector (for power windows) inside the driver-side door panel is hard to disconnect, so I left it connected while working thru the whole process. No problem. Also, try not to over-tighten bolts. I broke one. My only regret!

Because I could not find detail guidance even on this site (Tommy no longer gives you instructions other than a small piece of paper describing how to work on the mirror glass...), I spent too much time on the rubber boot. It went OK at the end. I hope that, with my instructions here, your installation can go even faster.

I apologize for any typos and grammar errors you may have found so far.
    Just don't tell my English teachers. :lol:
    Feel free to refine or poof-read these instructions. I abandon any rights to these instructions, and
    I won't be liable for anything bad that could happen to you during the installation. Please follow the
    instructions with those in mind. In plain English, "Don't sue me!"
    Good Luck. ;)

5. mrg

mrg Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Jan 4 2007, 10:14 PM) [snapback]371110[/snapback]</div>

Sorry I have not replied about my Sigma signal mirrors. They did fit perfectly and are an exact color match. My installer says if we came up with the correct connection, he could make them fold electrically. I am quite please to have purchased the full mechanism instead of just the housings.

I still feel they would sell enough more mirrors, and customers would pay more than enough to pay for an english translations. Would as many people buy the miiros without the translation or unpainted? I don't think so. Those were a couple of reasons I almost did not buy the mirrors, though. It is a convenence thing not necessarily a deal breaker for everyone. :)

6. vinnysca

vinnysca New Member

Here's my mirrors that I ordered from Sigma. I finally got to post the pics. The install is by no means easy. But, with a lot of patience, it paid off!

Vince.

Attached Files:

7. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Vince- Very nice. You just have to love using your turn signals now. I really like mine and have spotted more than one Prius owner looking at them as I sit waiting to turn or while switching lanes. This is just a no brainer when it comes to added safety.

8. vinnysca

vinnysca New Member

My signal mirrors are by far one of the BEST mods I've done on my car. I had a couple in a Prius at a stoplight roll their window down, and they asked whether my car was an 08! Hehehehe. It's fun to drive around one of the only few Prius that has external mods like mine here in Ohio.

Vince.

9. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cairo94507 @ Mar 19 2007, 08:51 PM) [snapback]408672[/snapback]</div>
    I have seeing people drooling in their Prius while staring at my converted side view "bling" mirrors....Je Je Je B) me bad...

10. prius62

prius62 Junior Member

What type/kind of fuse do I need to add to Tommy's ebay version of the signal mirrors?

He has great delivery service by the way. Ordered on Sunday, received from Hong Kong the next Saturday ( while I was working on my speaker upgrade in the driveway).

I've read all the posts...what is the best way to connect the wires? I don't trust my soldering abilities...especially in tight places and I've read some concern about the Scotchloks. I know I can handle twisting wires together, adding a cap and then some tape to ensure the cap stays on, but this just seems a little "low tech".

Thanks to all for the help.

11. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius62 @ Apr 1 2007, 03:27 PM) [snapback]416047[/snapback]</div>
    Scotchlocks will be the most safe way to do this type of connections while pressing the wires properly and as a safety measure use in-line fuse holders with a 1Amp fuse inside for each LED side covers.

12. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I love these. I want these.

But I'm not doing them.

I'll be trading up when the Prius goes LiI and Plug-in. When that happens, if there are no signal mirrors I'll put them in. I'll probably also have the dynamat insulation done and a full tint. BT plate and mudguards I'll do myself.

Until there's a full EV my next Prius may be my last car so any investment in mods I make is going to wait for that car since I'll only have a few years left in this car before it's gone.

13. Hryb

Hryb electic

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am going over to Japan later this year, does anyone have a Toyota Japanese part # for the signal mirrors? I'd like to order them and then pick them up when I am in Tokyo,

14. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hryb @ Apr 2 2007, 02:16 AM) [snapback]416328[/snapback]</div>
    The web page on Toyota official web site is here
    http://toyota.jp/prius/dop/exterior/index.html
    If I were you, I would print it out and bring it with me.
    I have been to Tokyo twice myself. Have a nice trip.

15. Cip

Cip Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anybody have for sale for 2005-2009 Pri
    - either a seaside pearl driver side mirror insert (cover)
    - either a black passenger side mirror cover ?
    If so please post or PM.
    Thanks in advance!

16. tomlouie

tomlouie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thanks to everyone for the great photos and instructions!

17. a1rjumpman23

a1rjumpman23 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just bought a pair of these signal mirrors, but wasn't included with instructions on how to install these. Could anyone shed some light on how i would go about with this?