1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Signal Mirrors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Shane, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dang!

Yeah, it might be the auto-folding feature.

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus @ Oct 11 2006, 10:30 AM) [snapback]331151[/snapback]</div>
    According to Dave Hermance of Toyota they'll never be an option in the U.S. So it has to be done after market as much as you can manage. BTW this isn't a Toyota decision as it's driven by some marketing company. According to them there isn't enough demand for signal mirrors on CARS in the U.S. (SUVs or trucks only I guess.) I think it sucks.

3. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well that's stupid. First no side indicators, now this?

Honestly, the side markers help with regular cars as much as with longer vehicles like busses and lorries. Ever been in a blindspot for a second and that same second, the guy indicates and moves over? Ya... It doesn't help if we can't SEE his intentions.

Of course it works if the light on the mirror wraps around like the Prius ones. Some just face forward.

4. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cairo94507 @ Oct 10 2006, 08:52 PM) [snapback]330957[/snapback]</div>
    Cairo:
    What you bought is "signal mirror COVER". Please make sure that is what you wanted.
    It is very misleading at first to me. That is not the same as what SigmaAuto is selling (JDM signal mirror).

5. Inthewind

Inthewind New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ceric @ Oct 12 2006, 02:12 AM) [snapback]331598[/snapback]</div>
    So, the SIGMA come with the cover, mechanism and wire harness but not the mirrors and the ebay ones come with the cover, wire harness and thats it.

Is there any reason why you can't re-use the old mechanisms?

6. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Inthewind @ Oct 12 2006, 09:13 AM) [snapback]331635[/snapback]</div>
    I don't see why not. It all depends on what actually comes in the box.

For the Toyotaones, the only parts you reuse are the motor assembly and the mirror. Everything else is replaced.

If this is only the cover, then it is probably just replacing the body colored shell piece of the mirror. I would imagine that you would HAVE to reuse the old parts.

ALso, about not including the signal mirrors because of no demand for them, that's just silly.

THey include them in the Scion line, which is the bargain division of Toyota.

Also, do Mercedes and BMW know something that Toyota (Lexus) doesn't?

Just seems like a bad reason.

7. Inthewind

Inthewind New Member

Here's a picture of the auction. Looks like covers, wire harness and that's it.

[attachmentid=5260]

Attached Files:

• ed_1.jpg
      ed_1.jpg
      File size:
      16.8 KB
      Views:
  8. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Inthewind @ Oct 12 2006, 10:56 AM) [snapback]331687[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, it looks like it is only a set of mirror covers that simply replace the existing body colored part of the mirror.

This would not have worked for me, since I cracked not only that painted piece, but also the frame as well. I needed to replace the whole thing anyway.

Also, if the Toyota kit does in fact include the folding feature, then it is EXTREMELY worth the $400 price.

I'm getting the reverse tilt feature, and I'll be installing that. Also, I still need to replace the passenge side motor assembly (broke that too), so there is more to come. When I do that stuff, then I'll play with the "mystery plug."

9. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Inthewind @ Oct 12 2006, 10:56 AM) [snapback]331687[/snapback]</div>
    This will be an upgrade for my old and cheap side blinkers for a year now
    This flexible, self adhesive silicone compound, wraps around the case and the LED's turn on a row at 1.5 sec speed. It worked very well but the silicone grabs road grime very easy and is dificult to keep these very clean. ;)

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know about replacing the covers. If I remember correctly, the turn signal mirrors are a bit elongated compared to our stock mirror housings.

11. Inthewind

Inthewind New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrbigh @ Oct 12 2006, 11:27 AM) [snapback]331711[/snapback]</div>
    Did you order them from the seller off of Ebay? Or the SIGMA? And, have they arrived yet? We are all waiting for someone to get them to give us the lowdown.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 12 2006, 11:46 AM) [snapback]331719[/snapback]</div>
    Doc? You've done them. How did the "Remaining Good" mirror fit in the new housing? :lol:

12. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Inthewind @ Oct 12 2006, 11:51 AM) [snapback]331725[/snapback]</div>
    The housings for the Toyota kit are indeed a bit longer, but the mirrors still fit perfectly. The opening for the mirrors does not change size, so reusing the mirrors is not an issue.

13. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Oct 12 2006, 08:57 AM) [snapback]331731[/snapback]</div>
    Interesting. Whenever I have extra cash lying around, I'll keep this mod in mind lol. For now, education and finding a job and securing assets LOL.

15. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    WOW, I just received an Email with the tracking number from Hong Kong for my " in my way" side housings. :D :D :D

16. FL Buckeye

FL Buckeye Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrbigh @ Oct 12 2006, 04:30 PM) [snapback]331925[/snapback]</div>
    Got the same today too. Wonder if there's an import duty to pay when it arrives.?

17. mee081224

mee081224 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i bought a compass rear view mirrror and paid nothing it was shipped on friday i got them sunday, YES SUNDAY, weird! from USPS, hand delieved to my door, didnt ask for anything. It didnt even say gift, it was like merchandise with 47 value on it i was like uh ok, are the feds outside, so i peeked, nothing yet, soooooo i do not know

paid nothing = didnt pay custom fees, in case you were like FREE lol

18. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrbigh @ Oct 12 2006, 03:30 PM) [snapback]331925[/snapback]</div>
    Congrats!
    I asked the guy for Tideland Silver ('05 color) and they don't have it! :angry:

19. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I thought I read somewhere that the ones from Sigma (the japanese parts) are for right hand drive and that they had to be shimmed in some way to accommodate left hand drive. Anyone remember?

For this reason I'd think the housing for them mirrors would be find. While I'd love for them to fold, I'd rather just have the signaling capability than to have to mess with shimming them to try to get them to fit and maybe looking like a "make do".

If the 2009 in fact don't have signal mirrors, I'll be buying them after market and having them installed.

Looks like I might still need a BT plate too. I looked under a 2007 touring edition and it has the same old crappy plate.

20. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Oct 12 2006, 10:40 PM) [snapback]332089[/snapback]</div>
    Nope, no shimming at all. THey bolted on just fine, and the mirrors popped in just fine.