1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Signal Mirrors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Shane, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Inthewind

Inthewind New Member

Looks good. Now if I can just get them to respond to my one of 3 inquiries: Ebay, their website and an email. Lets hope they have a good amount in stock the way this thread is getting attention! :(

Oops, Ciaro...are the instructions in Japanese?

2. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Inthewind @ Oct 14 2006, 06:56 PM) [snapback]332852[/snapback]</div>
    The instructions are in a form of a booklet, I glimpsed thought it but there are very detailed drawings and in plain English.
    The wiring harness looks to be very well made for a retrofit of this kind and very complete. I will not use it; my wiring is already in place, from a year past. I will replace an existing signaling light.
    On Monday I will scan the instructions at the store and will post them on line so everybody can judge.
    My Engine Block Heater is finally in place, after few skin gauges. ;) ;)

3. FL Buckeye

FL Buckeye Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hope my order comes this week. But LOML is still waiting on a B-day card mailed from Ohio over a week ago, so hard to say now long a pkg from HK will take.

Can anyone comment on how hard it is to remove the mirror glass from the assembly? A picture of the backside of the mirror glass would be nice. My only concern so far is how to remove the mirror without breaking it.

4. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FL Buckeye @ Oct 15 2006, 12:30 PM) [snapback]333000[/snapback]</div>
    Here is a quick disassembly primer:

1) Push in the top of the mirror. You need to get a screwdriver in the bottom.

2) There are two places where the mirror is clipped on. If you peek under the mirror fromt he bottom you should be able to see two slots in the white plastic piece attached to the black plastic of the mirror. Insert a wide blade screwdriver into each of these slots and twist. The mirror should pop free from the white plastic part.

3) Now tilt the mirror away from the bottom and slide it up off the white plastic part. This may or may not be easy, depending on how tight the clips are. The mirror should come off.

4) Unplug the two wires for the heated mirror function.

Now you should be able to see all the clips for hte body colored shell. You can use a flat screwdriver to push these clips out from inside and get the shell off.

From there just follow the wiring instructions and before you know it you're done (or very frustrated :p ).

Whoever does this first needs to post pics so we can compare.

5. FL Buckeye

FL Buckeye Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Oct 15 2006, 12:44 PM) [snapback]333005[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the quick reply. I just checked the tracking # for my pkg and it was at Kennedy early yesterday and through customs for the USPS, so maybe sometime this week it will make it to FL.

6. Inthewind

Inthewind New Member

Tommy answered today and I've sent payment. Hopefully I can get them before I do my clearBra. Anyone have an order to delivery time to the east coast? I know several of you have already received them. Sometimes my impatience gets the best of me! :p

Once I get them I'll do a pictorial.

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Are you saying you can install the signal mirror backs without taking apart the doors? I thought you had to remove the doors and do some major wiring to get the mirrors to signal. (I don't care if mine fold or heat.)

8. Inthewind

Inthewind New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Oct 15 2006, 06:20 PM) [snapback]333115[/snapback]</div>

Godiva,
    You have to remove the door panels, not the entire door. :D Check DocVijays sig for hid mod website. He's pretty much detailed it out for us.

9. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Inthewind @ Oct 15 2006, 06:27 PM) [snapback]333121[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, the door panels have to be removed to run the wiring. At leat you won't have to disassemble the mirrors. Well not too much anyway.

10. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Oct 15 2006, 05:54 PM) [snapback]333132[/snapback]</div>
    The ddor panels are a piece of cake to take off- they come in about 1 minute. Do not sweat it all you have to do is make sure you pull carefully to unsnap the plugs that hold the panel to the door so you don't break on of the plastic replaceable clips. Probably 1.25 each or something. Nothing to lose sleep over that's for sure.

I will have my mirror backs back by Friday to install on Saturday- looking forward to it. Pictures will of course follow.

11. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Okay. Door panels.

For this amount of trouble (to *me* it's trouble) I'll wait for my 2009. I'm not going to do all this only to sell the car in two years. And by then they'll be great directions with pics I can follow.

12. Inthewind

Inthewind New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Oct 15 2006, 08:09 PM) [snapback]333178[/snapback]</div>
    Your patience is admirable ;) However, there may be flying cars in 2009...what mods would you put off until 2011 for that one? :lol: JK

Personally, I'm planning on keeping this 07 for a looooong while...

13. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Inthewind @ Oct 16 2006, 07:17 AM) [snapback]333347[/snapback]</div>
    She obviously has not been exposed to the car mod virus. I have a terminal case of it...

14. Inthewind

Inthewind New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Oct 16 2006, 08:21 AM) [snapback]333357[/snapback]</div>

I'm getting there as well! :lol:
    I think after the window tint, clear bra, these signal mirrors and a DICE, that's going to be it for me...oh, and maybe the side moldings, and some different tires...and maybe 16 or 17" rims and that's about it...well, and the EV Mode and a Nav over ride once someone gets one out to the general public...sheesh...I need to break my computer or something... :blink:

15. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Inthewind @ Oct 16 2006, 08:49 AM) [snapback]333365[/snapback]</div>
    Too late. Once the symptoms show up...

16. FL Buckeye

FL Buckeye Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, dang me, dang me.....the letter carrier tried to deliver a pkg from HK today but noone was home so got a "Sorry we missed you" card instead. Usually she will leave a pkg but must have not wanted to since it was from HK. We were away till 2:30 and on Monday the mail usually doesn't come till around 3:30 so go figure. Now I will be thinking about it all evening.

17. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FL Buckeye @ Oct 16 2006, 04:39 PM) [snapback]333667[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :lol: :lol: Oh the anticipation builds, he'll belike this all nite :blink: waiting till he can get the parts...
    Been there done that... ;)

18. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FL Buckeye @ Oct 16 2006, 04:39 PM) [snapback]333667[/snapback]</div>
    Some body must sign a delivery receipt in order to get it. :(

19. FL Buckeye

FL Buckeye Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Oct 16 2006, 04:52 PM) [snapback]333675[/snapback]</div>
    Well, you're right, I couldn't wait. Now for the good(?) and bad news. I remembered that the carrier delivers on the next street over quite a bit later than on ours. So I drove around the corner and saw her SUV in the distance. So I blocked her excape :D and got my package.

Now for the bad. :( The covers arrived and look great except they are 3Q3 (Salsa Red) instead of the 3R3 (Barcelona Red) that I requested. I have already sent "Tommy" an email explaining it to him, with the orginal email attached that shows what color I requested. Also, his web page doesn't even show 3Q3 as an available color for the Prius side mirror covers. Now I'll wait to see what he will do. I may have a set of covers for sale. If I could sell this set and reorder another set for the same price with shipping all would be well. We'll see how his customer service is.

[attachmentid=5343]

Attached Files:

20. Inthewind

Inthewind New Member

For those of us that were asking about removing door panels, maybe this will help:

[attachmentid=5344]

and as Doc said, 3 bolts for the mirror assembly:

[attachmentid=5345]

Attached Files: