1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Signal Mirrors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Shane, Sep 28, 2006.

1. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Doc, what's the verdict on your "skew" factor?

Nate

2. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Oct 18 2006, 04:11 PM) [snapback]334688[/snapback]</div>
    You know, I forgot to check. I'll have to check in a bit and post later.

3. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The first thing I noticed was that the black part wasn't exactly the same on both sides. On one side, it kind of melded into the mirror, on the other side, it was distinct all the way around. See if you can tell what I mean.

Nate

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    but they do fold manually like the stock mirrors right?

5. Inthewind

Inthewind New Member

My patience is wearing thin. No tracking number yet..payment made on Saturday last. :angry:

6. FL Buckeye

FL Buckeye Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Inthewind @ Oct 18 2006, 11:27 PM) [snapback]334899[/snapback]</div>
    Hey, being an Army man, you should be used to that "hurry of and wait" drill. :D I know that my kids were deprived because I wouldn't wait in a line anymore after my tour of duty.

I feel your pain, so I went through my emails from Tommy to see how long it took for him to send me the tracking number. I paid on a Sunday night, didn't get the tracking number until about 2AM Friday morning, and the mirrors were here on Monday. So go paint some rocks white, etc., to keep your mind off it. ;) Isn't this exciting?

7. Inthewind

Inthewind New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FL Buckeye @ Oct 18 2006, 11:49 PM) [snapback]334906[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: Too funny...that made me laugh though because painting rocks is about the truth of it...
    There was this 2 star when I was in the 4th ID at Ft Carson who had a wife that didn't like white rocks, so we pulled them all up and turned them over. Then the new CG wanted the white rocks back....so, we went back out and turned them back over, cleaned them off and viola! We saved paint during those commands... :D

I have to admit though, I was a Drill Instructor for 2 years and never made anyone paint rocks.

8. Inthewind

Inthewind New Member

Has anyone else ordered and received these yet? It's been a week and no word on the shipping yet.

9. JHSmith

JHSmith 2020 Avalon Hybrid Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Howdy,

Although I have a TCH, I read this Forum since most of your members have lots more experience with the hybrid and modifying your Prius' (or is it Prius's, I'll leave that for the grammar experts [​IMG] ) than some of we TCH owners have. I'm thinking of installing this type of turn signal on my TCH's mirror.

From the pictures that have been posted, I see that the lights wrap from the front and partially around the side of the mirror. My question/concern is: Have any of you put yourself in another car back off the left rear quarter of the car (as though you are passing or are in the "fast lane")? What I'd like to know is: Is it OBVIOUS when the turn signal is activated (such as the newer mirrors that have LED arrows imbedded in the mirrors themselves so you can see the other car's intentions (really, the driver's intentions) before you get alongside it? Or, is it just as you're near the left rear door or driver's door that you MIGHT see the signal (in the day-time)?

I would appreciate any feedback y'all can provide.

10. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2007 TCH? Toyota Camry Hybrid, I assume?
    Regardless these mirrirs will add additional safety for you and other drivers, but I have not positioned myself next to a car with them to see when I can see them. I am pretty sure they will be visible once they are illuminating, especially when it is dark out. I will see if I see one on the road this week.

11. JHSmith

JHSmith 2020 Avalon Hybrid Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cairo94507 @ Oct 23 2006, 09:07 AM) [snapback]336691[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you for responding so quickly.

Yes, TCH is Toyota Camry Hybrid.

I'm not too concerned about someone being in the blind spot at night since I'll see HIS lights (if they're turned on -- I know, that's a rash assumption) either in my peripheral vision or due to their intensity. I'm more worried about in the daylight, where someone could be loitering in the blind zones (right rear and/or left rear).

I was hoping that someone with two cars had checked out the visibility of the turn signal lights (from the viewpoint of the driver in an overtaking car). I have a feeling I may wind up waiting until Toyota changes to the LED turn signals that are imbeded in the mirrors themselves. Or they are available through after-market sources.

12. mee081224

mee081224 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John Smith @ Oct 23 2006, 10:06 AM) [snapback]336716[/snapback]</div>

imho Those look tackier, compared to the sleek look of the mirror, but i have seem them on ebay, well the knockoff version, they are strong adhesives, that you place on the mirror and run the wiring. So hit or miss on them, but i have seen many lighted mirrors, and are very noticable.
    But you make a valid point, why are the lights almost behind the mirror, only one small part of the mirror is visible from behind. but it is visible, from the side, which i guess is the point, since someone behind should see your butt, its the blind spot that is the issue. I guess if there are 2 people in a city, they can ride in 2 cars and test it out. lol. me and doc live in tampa, see if he minds me driving up behind him with his light lol :)

13. Inthewind

Inthewind New Member

Finally got my tracking number today! FL Buckeye, have you heard anything yet about your exchange?

14. FL Buckeye

FL Buckeye Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Inthewind @ Oct 24 2006, 06:29 PM) [snapback]337643[/snapback]</div>
    No I haven't heard anything. I was hoping to hear from him today. Let us know when your mirrors arrive.

15. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ITW- Heck, please do not forget, if you can figure out the wiring on these mirror installs, please take some digital pictures of exactly where the harness plugs in. Thanks, Cairo94507

16. nyconrad

nyconrad Cconrad in Virginia

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just got my email from Tommy that the mirror covers have shipped! Syclone and I will be installing them on our cars this weekend and will post pictures and instructions.

BTW - We ordered 2 sets and shipping was $40 (we saved $15 each by ordering together)

17. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cairo94507 @ Oct 25 2006, 09:41 AM) [snapback]337918[/snapback]</div>
    Browsing in the car I found where the main plug goes," USA vehicles " drivers side, remove plastic door treshold, remove plastic cover inmediatelly forward and left to the emergency brake pedal.
    [​IMG]

- - - - - - - - It is a row of connectors, the one to disconnect is the first one on top
    [​IMG]

- - - - - - - - -Connect a greenish connector (male pins inside of it) in the connector end of the CAR original wiring harness.
    [​IMG]

- - - - - - - - - Install the matching greenish female connector from the provided harness in the socket that just was uncover
    ,[​IMG]

- - - - - - - -- - And It should look like this
    [​IMG]

Complete the installation of other wires by the instructions provided through the car and doors and test directional right and left and Hazard lights.

NOTE: I'm not using this wiring harness, my installation was previusly made many months ago and DO NOT fallow this procedure, I'm providing this pictorial guidance based in the original instructions provided by Optionamber, Ebay dealer

18. Inthewind

Inthewind New Member

mrbigh,

So this was effective? That would seem too easy!! :unsure: Great post! Thanks!

There ya go Ciaro!

First one to get em in post! I'm looking @ Monday before I even get them and it'll have to wait for the weekend.

Hell, I don't even have them yet!

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wow, that's just as easy as plugging in my footwell lighting lol.

20. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

This is different than the installation of the Toyota mirrors. Not necessarily harder, but different.