1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota slighted again

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by macmaster05, Jan 15, 2011.

1. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Car and Driver's "10Best Cars" for 2011- Yahoo! Autos Article Page

On top of excluding any Scion/Toyota/Lexus vehicles from the 2011 list, they just have to slight Toyota in the opening. Yes, I hate Yahoo and these car magazines a little more each day. It's the reason I'd rather visit car forums like PriusChat, over reading what the so called "experts" have to say.

2. M8s

M8s Retired and Lovin' It

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I wouldn't take it too hard.

Consider the source. They called the Mazda MX-5 a "Miata" about 8 times despite the fact that it hasn't been called that by Mazda since 2005. How smart can they be?

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's unfortunate, but Toyota's publicity was so (mostly unfairly) negative this past year that it doesn't suprise me that they are being "unembraced" in many reviews.

Honestly? When you are involved in one of the largest, highest profile runs of recalls and repairs in automotive history, whatever the reasons, it's probably unrealistic to think many 2011 vehicles of Toyota's are going to surface on Top Ten for The Year lists.

I don't mind any opinion. I think one of the dangerous things about communication today is it can become so user specific. You want to hear great things about X,Y,Z?.....well just go to the corresponding website or blog or chat room that supports that idea or product...you never have to hear the negative...

Perhaps it is unfair that Toyota is excluded from the list, but again, given the year the company had? Not real suprising.

If your job is to give recommendations about vehicles? Then you would have to hesitate in giving a recommendation about a vehicle or company that had as many specific issues as Toyota had last year.

I mean, production was actually halted. Sales were halted...and 100,000's of vehicles were recalled...

I think hysteria was blown way out of proportion. News reports became grossly sensational...but bottom line Toyota made history last year...and NOT in a good way.

Hopefully they make some of those lists for 2012...

And "Neener Neener" my Honda Fit is on the list as one of The Best....

4. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    and al the same color..................

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Maybe the cars Toyota submitted to C&D weren't red. The promo Dept. needs to change that next year.

1 person likes this.
  6. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Their selections are overall ok but car and driver is an absolute shameless pimp for BMW and has been for years, and they even admit it in not so many words.

7. UsedToLoveCars

UsedToLoveCars Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The POS Chevy Vega was once MT's Car of the Year...

1 person likes this.
  8. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius is amazing on fuel economy. It is very practical, safe and reliable. But, IMNSHO, it still needs interior refinement. Sorry to say, but the 2nd gen was the most annoying car I have ever owned which is a big shame because it has just about same length as the new one which seats me better.

C&D is pretty harsh on the Prius, even the new one. They just think it is so boring and monotonous to drive. I think they are somewhat off in their current review.

It's been a long time since I've driven the new Prius on backroads, but my 2009 was not very good at it. I understand the Touring is better.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Lexus CT200h makes this list next year :) C&D should like that one.

9. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here are the car mfr ads in my 2009 buyer's guide -

inside full page - Ford
    Suzuki
    Hyundai
    Buick
    Lincoln
    Saturn (oops they're gone)
    Nissan
    Honda
    BMW
    Cadillac
    Acura
    Infiniti
    Chevrolet

I'll bet Toyota never ad's with them.

10. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ^That's what I like about Toyota. Even though they do the usual car commercials, they don't play games within auto cliques. They're discreet, yet make arguably the best motors in the world.

11. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No doubt Toyota's are very reliable, but I would really, really like to see them refine their interiors and not forget the joy of driving factor. To me, it seems Toyota is not 100% serious about interior design by what I see in the 3rd gen.

What's crazy is the current Camry ... I can't even fit in it well. With sunroof, forget it, my head just about hits ceiling. w/o sunroof, kinda looking at sun visors. Shouldn't be that way in any Camry. Geez, I'm only 6'2". And I fit fine in my Accord Coupe w/sunroof. That's because Honda is willing to make seats lower more than Toyota.

12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I understand (I think) what you are saying. But I'd have to say that within the auto manufacturing world, if your goal is to remain the biggest and the best? You cannot afford to ignore auto cliques and discretion is NOT an attribute you want associated with your marketing approach.

The game might be unfair, unbalanced...but you have to play it.

For example, I thought Jeremy Clarksons dagger timed review of The Honda Insight was devastating to The Insight. I think those that follow Clarkson, and the automotive cliques, knew that was simply Clarkson being Clarkson.

But...his sarcastic and caustic review was read by many who simply were searching for valid comparison. I wonder how many people on the outside fringe of considering a hybrid, read his review and retreated like a Ground Hog predicting 6 more weeks of winter?

Discretion is not the better part of valor when it comes to marketing and selling automobiles. You have to fight.

13. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well you make a good point: you have to fight. The same reason Toyo needs to update the Celica to compete with the 370z.

14. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    C&D editors/the magazine is infamous for being BMW fanboys. They've even have poked fun at themselves about this in some reviews.
    Keep in mind that they way their competition works (right or wrong) is that from 10Best: 2011 10Best Cars - Feature - Car and Driver.
    They've stated in the past that if it a car was available for a previous year's "competition" that didn't win and didn't receive significant updates, it's not included for the next year because well, it didn't win before. Why would it "win" the next time?

The 2010 Prius was a nominee for the 2010 competition (see 2010 10Best Cars - 10Best Cars - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver) and well, it didn't win there.

15. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed. Every bit of marketing helps. Honda site runs few second videos that pop off automatically when you hit the page for most models. Then can press play and see people driving in the car, enjoying it, touting its features.

edit - Just checked toyota.com, don't see any videos showing some happy driver's inside or out going down the road enjoying their Prius. I see videos expounding on the features and technical aspects of the car. Where's your actors enjoying the car?

Toyota can do the same with the Prius. Have a tour video on front page. Show happy drivers from inside and outside the car, enjoying the heck out of it.

http://automobiles.honda.com/insight-hybrid/

16. tonyrenier

tonyrenier I grew up, but it's still red!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  17. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Funny that you'd bring up the Insight II. It hasn't exactly caught the world on fire w/the Prius totally decimating it in sales and it falling well short of even Honda's lowered expectations. So, I'm not sure how much the above has actually helped them.

18. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Because Insight II is small and it probably couldn't average 37 MPG if it was as large as Prius.

But look at the list of heavy hitters below. Chevy Silverado outsold Prius by 100k units in first half of 2010.

2010's Top-20 Selling Vehicles in U.S. Through June

19. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Celica hasn't been on sale for years. hell, Toyota hasn't had any kind of sports car at all in the lineup for years.

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Obviously mpg was of little concern ... they mentioned some of the low powered rides getting 35 & 37mpg ... but failed to mention the Volt that will get about 41mpg (presuming you burn 10 gallons at 37mpg then add 40EV miles). That's at least a bit better than the TDI's combined mpg of about 38mpg.
    http://www.greencarreports.com/blog...10-volkswagen-golf-tdi-go-on-a-tank-of-diesel
    So the fact that some of these rides are priced in the $40K and above range is not a detractor too. ok then.