1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota sued in carbon monoxide tragedy

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by PapaGallo, Nov 7, 2010.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Tragedy??? It was a lawyer! Toyota should get a medal.

1 person likes this.
  2. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

it is actually easier to leave key in the car, because Lexus/Toyota vehicles start beeping like crazy once you exit the car without turning it off and they wont let you lock the car, and will start beeping even more if you try to lock it.

not to mention that since it was in garage, car was quite audible (this is V6 not HSD!), and quite possibly it had DRLs on (if it has smart key...)...

In fact, leaving Prius on would be far easier than this Lexus.

I have been using cars with SKS in past 6 full years, and I have never ever left the car on (because of beeps), but I have at least 10 times been left without the key in the car... for me (and many others i would suppose), it auto shutting down would be much bigger safety risk.

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    On a regular car, if you don't remove your keys form the ignition after turning it off, and open the door, it beeps. My current car also delays looking the doors after shutting the door to give you a last chance of getting the keys if you managed to leave them in the car.

At least on the gen2 Prius, leaving the SKS on while going away for a week or more, might drain the 12 volt battery.

Despite that, and the idiot warnings on a standard keyed car, it is a superior system. I just wouldn't pay extra for it, and I also find it amusing that only time forgetfulness would have left me locked out and stranded at mall, was with the Prius. :)

4. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    The relevant standard is FMVSS 114, "Theft protection and rollaway prevention".

The relevant section of the standard is S5.1.1:
    Also relevant to the discussion:
    I'm not able to come up with an argument that SKS conforms to the standard. I'm a bit confused by S5.1.3(a) and (b) (when exactly does the audible warning need to sound?), but that's not really important to the suit.

Here is the actual lawsuit, which reiterates some of what I discussed above:

http://www.courthousenews.com/2010/11/02/NotSmart.pdf

And there's apparently another lawyer who is claiming that SKS does not meet the standard, but for a slightly different reason (relating to the transmission interlock):

Toyota "Smart Key" FMVSS 114 Safety Investigation - LieffCabraser.com

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm guessing (a) allows for the key to be put into the ignition while the door is open without the alarm going off. Without that clause, the SKS system alarm would go off when you opened the door to get into the car, and until you closed it.

(b) is when the key is at the accessory or on position. So you can have power for lights, radio, diagnostic testing, jump starting, etc. without the beep getting in the way to say. Presumably, a person is less likely to forget the keys when there is an clue to the keys being in the ignition (radio on), or they are doing something involving the car (oil change).

6. liskipper

liskipper Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A story similar to this made the "Today" Show this morning (2/17/11) regarding several CO related deaths because the car was left running. Here is the story: TODAY Show Video Player This seems particularly likely with a Prius because many times the ICE is not on when the car is stopped. In the story, Toyota was sited, but they mentioned the problem exists with any of 150 models equipped with SKS. To me, it seems like a very simple fix. Program the car to turn the engine off after 5 minutes (it already does this with the remote start) if a SKS Fob is not detected and the car is in "N" or "P". If there is an occupant sensor on the drivers seat, it could be programmed to detect that the seat is empty, instead of looking for a key fob - this will eliminate the problem if someone is lazy and leaves the fob in the car while the car is running.

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  8. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you make an idiot proof car, the world will breed a better idiot.

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just proves that natural stupidity will always trump artificial intelligence.