1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Survey - What Did You Say?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by bresna, Apr 19, 2017.

1. bresna

bresna Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I don't know if everyone who purchased a Prius Prime got sent a link to the same survey I got or if it was only for those of us who have bought multiple Priuses. For once, instead of ignoring this request, I decided to fill it out.

Most of my comments were positive. Fit & finish were great. Performance was great. I like the overall design. But I did highlight several problems with the hope that Toyota will actually read this and do something about it. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few but here are some of my major complaints:

Water easily gets into the gas filler and electrical plug areas when driving in the rain. This is particularly concerning in the electrical plug area as I have to dry the entire area before plugging it in for fear of electrocution.

The back up beeper masks any proximity warning beeps rendering them useless. I nearly backed into a post in my blind spot because I missed the warning beeps until the red screen "BRAKE!" came on.

The voice recognition system sucks, plain and simple. It converts simple voice commands into the weirdest things, like, "Call Mom, Home" coming up as "Finding Pep Boys", or "Call Dan, Mobile" as "Calling #MIN". And why do I have to confirm everything... twice? Just dial the contact already! I don't need to be asked to confirm and after I confirm, I don't need the system to confirm my confirmation!!!

The voice navigation is just as bad. For example, saying an address like "Address: 25 Main Street, Newbury, Massachusetts" usually results in "Multiple entries found for Main Street" and the list following will have something like "1 - Main St. 2 - School St. 3 - Telegraph Ave. 4 - Jasper Ave." And then after you pick number 1, it will still make you say the street number AGAIN. It's such a pain.

The nav system makes some very stupid "decisions" for us drivers. For instance, if you are leaving Boston and your destination is North on Route 95 North up past Route 1 in Danvers, it will tell you to get you to exit Route 95 onto Route 1 for about 3 miles of bumper to bumper traffic with about 10 traffic lights just to get back onto Route 95 North again. Wth? The first time it did this, I ignored it. It does it every time. Neophyte drivers will not appreciate this.

The rear view mirror is too high on the windshield, making it nearly impossible to adjust it to get a full view out the rear. Every vehicles' top is cut off by the top of the rear windshield.

The sun visors are (once again - Toyota - wake up) too short for use on the side window. This annoying "feature" always makes me wonder why they even have the clip up there. Un-clipping it and swinging it to the side is useless.

The cell phone charging plate in my Prime is only useful for straight ahead highway driving. Stops or turns that shift the phone the tiniest bit cause it to stop charging. I don't even use it anymore.

The mp3 playback from a thumb drive is much worse than in my old Toyota cars. No matter what I do, no artwork shows up. And there's no way to play the music back in filename order, which is how I was always able to play back complete albums in track order.

The passenger seat should have the same height adjustment as the driver seat. This is a problem with many car companies but I was hoping Toyota would fix this. My wife hates the passenger seat height.

I can't get a regular air pump onto the valve stem without removing the hubcap. This is extremely annoying.

I have a rattle in the back seat area that no one can seem to find. It's very annoying.

Once you put the 15 (joking) owner's manuals into the glove box, there is no room left in there for anything else. What happened to the secondary glove box of the old Priuses?

The center arm rest opens sideways, making it almost impossible for a passenger to get into it. Also, the coin tray in there is not lined with felt so if you do put loose change in there, it will make a racket. Luckily I had some felt sheets in the garage from an old craft project.

The plastic around the shifter knob should be black if I ordered a black interior. I should not have to pay $55 for a black applique to cover up your designer's mistake. Ditto the steering wheel. No applique available for that yet either.

Adjusting the clock is a pain, especially since you have to do it twice. There's one place for the clock displayed on the dash and another for the clock/calendar in the nav system. Both are somewhat buried in submenus. I would like a simple push button on the dash like my old Toyotas.

Samprocat, bisco and priuscatprimeguy like this.
  2. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    That is a really long survey.

I got about halfway through it when it lost my session.

I have no desire to go through that again.

bodgm likes this.
  3. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    They must have skipped me.

4. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's essentially impossible to get electrocuted that way, for about five different reasons, any one of which would prevent it.

5. Prius from Dad

Prius from Dad Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I did the survey in the beginning of Feb. Mine was mostly positive. I didn't go into as much detail as you, but I also put in the comment that my battery was empty and I was not happy. The dealer called the next day, apologized and said the were going to install charging stations for future customers. Did't help my situation. :rolleyes:

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what, they don't have any 120v outlets at the dealer? is everything running off of a water wheel?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all good points. small, but worth bringing to their attention.

8. bresna

bresna Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I assumed as much. However, I would not want to be the person to accidentally get around one of the protections. :) Also, the scariest thing is when you find that water got under the plug cover so that the actual car plug has water in the holes underneath. As much as I assume they've planned for this, I would still feel very uncomfortable plugging in without drying it first. The plug cover is not watertight. It's just a push on.

9. bresna

bresna Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I was going to complain about the lack of a spare tire but I know that would be just a waste of time. They aren't going to add one so I'm just going to have to get used to it.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they aren't going to change the plug either, but it's all part of a good review.

11. bresna

bresna Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    ----USA----
    No, but they could make the access door a little more resistant to water ingress and they could certainly make the plug cover a little watertight.

BTW, the gas filler access door lets in a ton of water too. I don't want water in my gas tank any more than I want it on my charge port. :)

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they can add a spar too, but they won't.:p

the problem is, most of your review (which is spot on) are ongoing issues for the last 12 years. toyota doesn't see them as a problem, and has no desire to change things based on user feed back.

fortunately, the gas cap is airtight. maybe they need the same for the charge port?
    anyway, i've never had any issues charging the pip in the middle of a nor'easter, if it's any comfort.

13. toyoduz

toyoduz New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Positive responses to the surveys are very important to the sales people.

14. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You'd have to get around all five - simultaneously. Some of them involve damaging the charge cord and electrical circuit that feeds it.

When you have the plug in your hand, it's not energized.

#14 Lee Jay, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  15. bresna

bresna Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    ----USA----
    BTW, one of the other things I said is that this is probably the quietest car I've ever driven with the windows down. It's eerily quiet cruising down the road with the windows down. It must be the aerodynamic design but there is hardly any wind noise, even at highway speeds.