1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Suspends Sales of Eight Models - NOT Prius

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The Prius is not involved in this temporary suspension of sales, but it looks like the Highlander Hybrid's sales are suspended. Still, with 8 models no longer available for sales, today is not a good day for Toyota. Toyota Press Release:
    Toyota Temporarily Suspends Sales of Selected Vehicles
    TORRANCE, Calif., January 26, 2010 - - Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., today announced that it is instructing Toyota dealers to temporarily suspend sales of eight models involved in the recall for sticking accelerator pedal, announced on January 21, 2010. “Helping ensure the safety of our customers and restoring confidence in Toyota are very important to our company,” said Group Vice President and Toyota Division General Manager Bob Carter. “This action is necessary until a remedy is finalized. We’re making every effort to address this situation for our customers as quickly as possible.” Toyota announced it would recall approximately 2.3 million vehicles to correct sticking accelerator pedals on specific Toyota Division models. Toyota has investigated isolated reports of sticking accelerator pedal mechanisms in certain vehicles without the presence of floor mats. There is a possibility that certain accelerator pedal mechanisms may, in rare instances, mechanically stick in a partially depressed position or return slowly to the idle position. Toyota’s accelerator pedal recall and suspension of sales is confined to the following Toyota Division vehicles: 2009-2010 RAV4, 2009-2010 Corolla, 2009-2010 Matrix, 2005-2010 Avalon, Certain 2007-2010 Camry, 2010 Highlander, 2007-2010 Tundra, 2008-2010 Sequoia No Lexus Division or Scion vehicles are affected by these actions. Also not affected are Toyota Prius, Tacoma, Sienna, Venza, Solara, Yaris, 4Runner, FJ Cruiser, Land Cruiser and select Camry models, including all Camry hybrids, which will remain for sale. Due to the sales suspension, Toyota is expected to stop producing vehicles on the following production lines for the week of February 1 to assess and coordinate activities. The North America vehicle production facilities affected are: • Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Canada (Corolla, Matrix, and RAV4) • Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Indiana (Sequoia and Highlander) • Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Kentucky – Line 1 (Camry and Avalon) • Subaru of Indiana Automotive, Inc. (Camry) • Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Texas (Tundra) No other North American Toyota vehicle production facilities are affected by the decision to stop production. The sticking accelerator pedal recall is separate from the on-going recall of Toyota and Lexus vehicles to reduce the risk of pedal entrapment by incorrect or out of place accessory floor mats. Approximately 1.7 million Toyota Division vehicles are subject to both separate recall actions.
    ###​
    The latest news about the sticking accelerator pedal recall:​
    The latest news about Toyota's consumer safety advisory for potential floor mat interference with the accelerator pedal in certain Toyota and Lexus vehicles:​
    NHTSA report (Nov. 2, 2009)​
    Toyota owner letter (Nov. 2, 2009)​
    ###​
    NOTE TO CONSUMERS: We’ve received a number of comments and questions about the floor mat issue and understand the safety concerns. We want to be responsive, but the Toyota USA Newsroom is not intended as a place for consumer complaints, or detailed information about any vehicle features, specs or capabilities. These types of concerns are best handled by our Customer Experience Center where they will be routed to the appropriate customer service representative for Toyota, Scion or Lexus. You can reach our customer service representatives by calling 1-800-331-4331. Prefer to email or chat? Simply access our website email or live chat links for Toyota, Scion or Lexus.​

2. Hidyho

Hidyho Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Toyota needs to do a major overhaul of itself, if it can't do that, its doomed to follow GM.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Every now and then the military has faced a safety problem and "stood down." They suspend flight operations and all hands turn to the task of flight safety. Toyota has done exactly what is needed.

When you find yourself in a hole, the first step is to stop digging.

Bob Wilson

4. CharlesJ

CharlesJ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Or, that may be the 2nd step after admitting that you are in a hole.:D

5. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is pretty shocking! It must be a Big Problem for Toyota to shut down so many factories, they didn't mention shutting down any plants in Japan on NBC news which I thought was interesting.

6. DetPrius

DetPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just checked the board attached to the article in the Detroit Feee Press and wow, the Detroit metal fanboys are having a great time. It appears they believe that if you can't beat the competition, just hope and wait for them to stumble.

I'd like to ask them what they drove for a couple decades when Detroit built mostly junk and recalls were far more frequent than Toyota's.

7. GreenGuy33

GreenGuy33 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    From what I understand, it is just 3 plants in the USA and 1 plant in Canada where the problem is.

8. LeadingEdgeBoomer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    In an earlier thread I began about this recall:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...t-toyota-recall-includes-no-prius-models.html
    DeadPhish noted (post #2) that all the recalled models are being built in North America, and that this points to a domestic firm that supplied a defective part that wears, slowing accelerator return to idle, and eventually sticking. How to find out which supplier that is?

NBC confirmed that plants in Indiana, Kentucky, Texas and Canada would be idled. I think that all Toyota hybrids are built in Japan.

9. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This may not bode well for the planned Mississippi plant...

10. ToyotaFleetManager

ToyotaFleetManager New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is what I know at the moment. NOT all Toyotas are effected and NOT all domestic. The problem is with vehicles built in North America that have CTS accelerator pedals. Vehicles built in North America and globally with DENSO accelerator pedals ARE NOT affected.

CTS supplies components to several auto makers including Detroit.

The action by Toyota is voluntary and not ordered by the government.
    There is a fix that is awaiting approval by the NTSB. As soon as it is approved then Toyota can start retrofitting the components.

Dealers currrently are going over their inventory to identify which vehicles produced in North America has a CTS pedal (which WILL NOT be sold) and which ones have the Denso pedal (which can be sold).

No Hybrids are affected by this.

10 people like this.
  11. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

I called the dealer, as we own a 2009 Corolla. I think I received conflicting/confused info. First of all, she said that my particular car, according to its VIN was manufactured in Japan, so there is no recall on it. I then asked her about the Prius. it is not recalled -- today -- but did receive a recall notice last year for carpets. She said that there is no recall on it, and doesn't know why it would receive the notice -- the notice is for carpets. My real question is about the rumored runaway car issue that exists APART from any carpet issue. Is there a runaway Prius or Corolla, or other Toyata car problem that has been identified, and which is not related to a floor mat being lodged over/under the gas pedal?

12. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From a report in USA Today it appears that the supplier is a Canadian subsidiary of Aisin located in Statesville, Ont. This plant also supplies Honda and Nissan but these two say that their designs are different from Toyota's.

The same article indicates that Denso supplies the JDM-made vehicles which are imported here including the Prius. There is no issue on these.

13. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

Sorry, I failed to read the above comments that clearly explain that the issue is a gas pedal. Now that I read that here, I recall that the woman at Toyota did say that if my Corolla had been recalled, it would have been for the gas pedal, not for carpet alone. So, I guess I am answering my own question?

There are two problems that I know of.
    1. a carpet getting stuck under/over the gas pedal.
    2. a gas pedal that is too long, according to the woman at Toyota, and I don't know if this problem must coexist with a carpet issue or not.

I know people will clarify for me.

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So... that means Toyota switched supplier for the 2010 Highlander because the previous two model years are not affected. Why the switch for 2010? Cheaper parts? Toyota might wanna rethink that strategy (not completely but at least a little more closely)

15. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The 2010 MY Highlander is the first one to be moved from Japan to Princeton. Now why it uses the CTS assembly and the Sienna also at Priinceton does not???

Maybe because the new 2011 now in production has switched suppliers.

1 person likes this.
  16. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe that is
    Automotive Products
    80 Thomas Street
    Streetsville, ON. L5M1Y9
    Ph: 905-826-1141
    Fax: 905-858-9058

17. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

Let me put this question in clearer terms. EEEEGAAAADSSSS Is there really a runaway car issue? If so, is it due to accelerator pedal, carpet, both, or.... and this is what I am really worried about....

some other mystery issue?

If there is some other issue, please tell me more!!!!

18. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You can always lookup recalls on cars at Safercar.gov.

As for "carpets", no. The earlier recall was due to floor mats (which might be carpeted). It's not the carpets on the floor of the car.

As for the 09 Corolla, see my posts at http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-h...as-pedal-sticking-unrelated-floor-mats-2.html. It seems that only NA made vehicles are affected due to the Ontario, Canada based supplier of the pedal assemblies (CTS). If your VIN starts w/a J, the car is made in Japan.

As for other mystery runaway issues affecting the Prius or Corolla not related to the above two recalls. We don't know. There may/may not be one.

BTW, judging by the poll at http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...-you-removed-your-drivers-side-floor-mat.html, 2nd gen Prius owners here don't seem too concerned about the floor mat recall.

FWIW, I don't even have the factory floor mats and have non-secured aftermarket ones. My parents and I have run w/stacked (unsecured aftermarket on top of OEM) or just unsecured aftermarket mats for decades w/o issue on Toyotas and non-Toyotas.

1 person likes this.
  19. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Camry hybrid is built in Georgetown,Ky. But I believe I read somewhere that only line #1 is stopping production there or something like that which leads me to speculate that maybe the Camry hybrid is staying in production there.

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Someone needs to remind them ... it's not nice to laugh at their owners ... us ... the U.S. taxpayers. I don't see OTHER welfare recipients laughing at those that are supplying their handouts.