1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Suspends Sales of Eight Models - NOT Prius

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Jan 26, 2010.

1. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Shifting the vehicle to Neutral always works no matter what anyone else might think or say. I've never heard of the shifter failing. It doesn't take 2 sec and my impression is that it's less then 1 sec. Shifting to Neutral is the most direct thing you can do on the shifter. You have to 'go through Neutral' to get to Drive or Reverse. It's immediately to the left of the default position. One poster herein always goes to Neutral at every stop he makes. I don't but I could if I got into the habit of doing it.

I agree, I wouldn't power off the vehicle at anytime unless I wanted to get out. Shifting to Neutral then putting it into Park when stopped is all that I'd do.

2. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

Okay, got this. Actually, I thought I understood before, but then people started saying that pressing the power button for only 1 second puts the car into neutral. I had thought it was 3 seconds. So I still have that question, just because we want to know, just because.

It is a good idea to use the N position of the gear shifter. That's what I would do, if I were ever to be able to drive my husband's prius, which is NEVER here. I have practiced shifting to N in my corolla and have no difficulty whatsoever. I just can't imagine why people think this is difficult.

Anyway thank you all.

Jen