1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota suspends sales of Lexus GX 460

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by jburns, Apr 13, 2010.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Side note:

malorn has been noticably quiet regarding the Lexus rollover warnings from Consumer Reports, and it dawned on me why. It's a paradox! GM LOVES SUV/land barge sales, as it's easy profit. Never mind the danger of ALL SUV's ... never mind their inherant poor mileage ... because profit is most important to GM ... not dwindling fuel supplies that come from countries that want to kill all "non-muslim infidels". But if you raise a red flag about SUV's ... in essence, you've just cut off your own nose to spite your face.

I was reading an old article suggesting "roll-over" danger be posted on window stickers, because so many deaths happened during the Ford SUV debacle:

Formula Predicts Rollover Risk | The Center for Autosafety

And of course, now days the risk/danger IS placed on the window sticker. Sure makes Unintended Acceleration look pale in comparison. Now ... how is it that over 10,000 deaths are alowed to take place via high center of gravity vehicles ... and yet the design is still allowed. Might it be the balancing act between profit, versus ... what.

2. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Honestly, it's not like Toyota doesn't make a killing selling SUVs either. Apparently the Lexuses in particular (like the GX, especially since it has a unsophisticated, cheap to construct body-on-frame design) make 5-10x as much in margin as a run-of-the-mill Corolla.

3. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'd guess its pretty much like why in Colorado, you can talk on your handheld cell phone and don't have to wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle. Or why you can talk on a hands-free cell phone in CA (even tho the evidence says its no safer). If enough people like SUVs...

4. EJFB1029

EJFB1029 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Seems consumer reports is CORRECT.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100418/OEM/100419899/-1

LOS ANGELES (Bloomberg) -- Toyota Motor Corp. said it's seeking a fix for the Lexus SUV identified as a “safety risk” by Consumer Reports as a U.S. congressional committee set a new hearing to examine unintended acceleration in Toyota vehicles.

Toyota said Friday its engineers reproduced the same “slide” Consumer Reports magazine found in its tests of the 2010 GX 460 SUV.

5. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    As I said in earlier post:
    As for the new hearings, I find it interesting that with thousands of experts on automotive engineering, electronics and computer in this country, they have to bring us the same bunch time and time again. Of course, even CR admits that at worst, SUA would happen only once in 2 million miles of driving. I'm amazed that the politicians think this is the most important issue in auto safety today.

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Silly boy, it's a very public and effective smokescreen to keep the sheep ... I mean the "public" baaaaaa .... from worrying about REAL issues

Like the Global Economy teetering on the edge of the cliff, a volcano that could wipe out all of the EU, etc

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Do you have something against sheep?

:D

Tom

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Of course not baaaaaa

9. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sorry that struck me as sadly funny!

And I thought the volcano was God's punishment for make it harder for some folks to make money at the expense of the sick and helpless...