1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Toyota Talks Prius Prime versus Chevrolet Volt, Mirai, TNGA, and CH-R

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Apr 30, 2016.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    EPA cargo space in my mind allows shifting passenger space to cargo space for Hatch Backs. Almost 10ft3 in Gen4. Maybe Volt likes to shift the vol to passenger to make it look better. Toyota obviously striving to max out shifting vol to cargo on paper, by adjusting windows/floors or whatever it is that allows making that shift in the EPA volume methods.

I think Volt quotes like 10-11 ft3 cargo and 19 ft3 cargo by EPA. Maybe Volt'd rather use 10-ft3 in their passenger vol calcs (Passenger Vol = Total - Cargo Vol). Toyota in USA just quotes 27 ft3 EPA Gen4 cargo (are you kiddin me)? Note Prime wil be -7ft3 so Prime is closer to Volt but Prime probably still lots more. But if Toyota quotes EPA cargo for Prime, the Prime passenger vol will look smaller than it really is.

#121 wjtracy, May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh I know I'm not the first to say it. I've seen people talk of a v Prime (PvP?) since the PiP came out.

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It goes to the EPA's size classes for vehicles; it is based upon total volume. Then there is likely some CAFE reason for identifying a vehicle under car or station wagon. A hatchback models seem to have no rhyme or reason as to which they get.

I think GM was trying to set some realistic expectations for those that research the Volt site. It is a hatchback with a very sedan profile. It gets cargo versatility, but not to the degree that a squared off hatch does. Plus, few people regularly pack even those squared off hatches over the rear seat backs.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's the irregular times that create a problem.

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK I see you mean the "old" idea of v Plug-in...no I did not invent that. That was so unjustified.
    I am in the *new* push for v plug-in camp to get back to 5 seats and cargo space Prime took away.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought it's the same thing? Lol. Ok either way, PvP!!

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I may have been one of the 1st ones, way back when Toyota revealed the v (future prius family) to us up at Frank Loyd Wright's estate, top of Malibu. Writing here, I think it was you that suggested to me that the existing v's chassis or suspension was too flimsy (my words) to support a plugin traction pack. Hearing that ... I sadly dropped it.
    why take away kWh's ?!? You'd have more room for not only that 5th seat, you'd have more traction pack room as well. Folks would want / (maybe even) expect more than the 4 seater's 20ish miles imo.

#127 hill, May 7, 2016
    Last edited: May 7, 2016
  8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    By making Prime a 4-seater and giving a variety of tech goodies, it should be easy to see how a second configuration... like v... could compliment the line up. It's a sensible way to diversify. Too bad some focusing solely on Prime haven't figured that out yet.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    while that's nice to hear, we have nothing from toyota alluding to the possibility. how could we figure it out?
    and not only that, all this insuring of batteries into chassis not designed for them is a poor way to go about it. if toyota were serious, they would develop something with a place to hold the batteries without compromising cabin space.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If I said that, my words were probably "the chassis is nearing its limits". The Prius v weighs 3,274lbs and the PiP weighs 3,165 lbs. The standard liftback is 3,042 lbs. A Prius v PHV would be close to 3,400 lbs (assuming similar weight increase plus a pound for longer cabling because it's a longer vehicle). This is before options and leaves very little in the way of cargo carrying capacity (weight).

The 2016 Prius weighs 3,010lbs (Two Eco) to 3,080lbs (3T/4T).