1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota teases all-new RAV4 ahead of L.A. Auto Show debut

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by ggood, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If no HSD for Rav4, then, how about the e-AWD rumored for the next gen Prius and Plug-in (20-25 ev) for Prius v.

2. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hard to believe a hybrid Rav4 wouldn't be possible or economical to make given that they can do it with a camry, and already have ev version of rav4.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I find it hard to believe esp. since they're spreading the cost of the hybrid system into as many vehicles as possible (ES, TCH, TAH). The only difference is that the RAV4 would be the first application that I know of where the 2AR-FXE is paired with 4WD-i.

I wouldn't be surprised if this finds its way into the next Venza, HiHy or even GS. (as a model below the GS350)

4. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

Hybrid Rav4 is coming for sure... cost is nonsense completely as we have Camry with similar pricing and exactly the same engines.

5. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

new RWD version of the engine - that is coming in IS300h, will also come to GS300h... This is in Europe and confirmed.

Now quite possibly not everything will come to USA, but with Toyota saying they plan to introduce 21 hybrids by 2015, and with Rav4 being one of the "core" models for Toyota......

Tideland Prius likes this.
  6. Quentin

Quentin Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My contacts at the plant that builds the Rav say no hybrid Rav. Maybe in a few years but not planned at all with the redesigned launch.

But hey, my plant is only providing the transmission for the new model. How would I ever have good info. ;)

austingreen likes this.
  7. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

maybe they will built it in Japan for whatever reason... like they did RX450h for a while.

Because it sure is coming to Europe.

8. Quentin

Quentin Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    While it makes perfect sense that the Rav would get the AR hybrid, the automotive world doesn't always make perfect sense. The guy I was taking to made it sound like the hybrid wasn't coming at all; not just not being built at TMMC.

I think offering e-AWD in the Prius v (maybe slightly lifted) would fill the needs of most.

9. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

yeah, problem is that e-awd prius will never happen while Rav4 is certainly coming :)

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unless it's not assembled in the US? I'm not sure. All we know now is that the RAV4 Hybrid (if it exists at all) won't be built in Woodstock. It would be a pity but I guess Toyota would've done the market analysis and determine whether there's a market for it.

11. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I personally would have bought a highlander a long time ago if the hybrid had been paired with a 4 banger. The ride in that car was very smooth years ago when I test drove it, compared to the very bouncy Rav4. Of course they also seem to want an arm and a leg for their highlanders. It's not very clear to me where the added value/content is in a highlander over a Camry.

12. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  13. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Outside looks nice enough but the inside is boring. If they don't come up with spectacular FE numbers then my money is on the Santa Fe. It's a damn nice CUV.

14. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No upper glove box? :(

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

15. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Santa Fe has a nice new look, but Mazda Cx-5 seems to have the best mileage. Compare Side-by-Side

F8L likes this.
  16. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yikes. Hyundai really revised those numbers. The CX-5 really stands out if that is a true representation of the fuel economy it gets.

17. Quentin

Quentin Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't confirm right now, but I'm thinking this is the non-US market version. That grille style is something normally found on non-US market Toyotas (Auris, Avensis, etc). Maybe a different bumper skin on the US market Rav? I'll have to ask my coworker that has seen the new Rav in person if my gut feeling is correct.

18. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

It is European Rav4... i just got all the high res pics and videos from my buddies.

Top model being shown is diesel with automatic. Which means no hybrid at launch in Europe for sure. What I see is that this "top end" Rav4 doesnt have usual top-end pizzazs that European Toyota's have. So quite possibly they are either doing that because of Lexus SUV coming or because there is an hybrid coming out soon enough which usually has more features in Europe than non-hybrid Toyota's (like in Auris and Yaris, they saved some features for Hybrid models).

Of course, Euro models are still luxurious - there is a big piece of real leather wrapped dash going across the front, there are xenons, big screen smart nav, LED DRL, LED blinkers, auto closing rear door (it opens up), all of the buttons are backlighted, real leather, dual air, auto mirrors/dimming/lights, etc, etc, etc.

But still, i would expect more from their top European model in terms of luxuries - for instance instrument display is too plain with small trip computer, there is no safety features being shown like in Auris (and they "have to be there"). So I am thinking that they are saving hybrid for Geneva or something, and that it will be true top end model.

Or they are simply doing it on purpose and saving stuff for Lexus SUV in Europe.

I am sure US Rav4 will not have most of these things, but from high res pics, looks like interior will look much better even in low spec variants, as every model will get multimedia screen and back camera.

19. Quentin

Quentin Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, the US Rav will have different bumpers and trimming. We'll see exactly what at the end of the week.

20. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

unveil at LA auto show is live tomorrow...