1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota teases all-new RAV4 ahead of L.A. Auto Show debut

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by ggood, Nov 19, 2012.

1. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I would agree that is pretty good confirmation that it won't be at the launch.
    That doesn't mean it won't come in a year or three. The rav4 in euro land is a short wheelbase version, that was discontinued here.

I have seen zero, zip, nada, official toyota stuff on a rav4 hybrid, since they said they were not making one soon, only the ev version a year ago when questions came up. It does make sense though that they try to sell the beast eventually with a hybrid power option.

2. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

supposedly new rav4 will use same wheelbase everywhere (US).

Some Japanese site yesterday mentioned Rav4 Hybrid starts selling in November 2013... not sure if it is true or not... PR tomorrow might say something about future powertrains, at least Euro one. It makes sense to me, as I said this new Euro version top end with diesel looks like it is missing something to be top end version and lately they keep reserving stuff for Hybrids...

3. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Then your rumor is going along with my speculation that the RAV4 hybrid is at least a year out - in America - and will not be launched at the same time as the new RAV4. I would expect details though if it is only a year away at the LA auto show

You did add something though. I had no idea Toyota was cancelling the short wheelbase in japan and europe.

4. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

it will not be launched right now for sure - if Euro PR had diesel in it, it means Hybrid is not ready yet... otherwise Toyota Europe sets hybrids as their top end premium cars...

As to the wheelbase, it was rumored for a year now.

Market in Europe has shifted in 2008/2009 when many new slightly smaller / a lot cheaper SUV competitors came out and Rav4 marketshare dropped. So basically they are moving it up and keeping the price and they will probably introduce smaller SUV, slightly smaller than 4.3 Euro Rav4 to compete with cheap competition from Korea and Europe.

I am most interested in Hybrid model... Rav4 is very popular car worldwide, usually sold as premium car (unlike in US), so hybrid is very fitting and adds coolness factor that others dont have... I am sure there will be at least 2 diesels but they are old news now.

5. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have always believed that the main reason for the relative 'uncompetitiveness' of the THH is Lexus!!! While the Camry is Toyota's flagship model the RX is Lexus' flagship model; it's main money maker.

Making the THH a very affordable 2AR+THS model would easily bring the price in about $30-$32K. This IMO would cannabilize sales of the the current V6 model and actually remove support for the RX 350 Hybrid. Right now if you want a hybrid crossover from Toyo/Lex you've got to pony up for the V6 model at TMS or for a little more step up to the Lexus model. Mission accomplished.

I think Lexus drives this subject.

Trollbait likes this.
  6. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    2012 Escape hybrid (epa around 30mpg) MSRP is $30k - so if that's any indication .... the RAV4 ought to be in the same range, both price and mpg wise, if they ever get it in hybrid.

8. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife says she is buying one :) I told her to wait for the Hybrid version. Any word on the Sienna Hybrid?

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    No fly bridge?
    :D

WE0H likes this.
  10. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I see it is an open upper box. No lid. Wife still likes it :)

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

11. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Today is the day!

WE0H likes this.
  12. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    So far, the reports and pics suggest better interior finish and "larger footprint", which I assume translates to less bouncy ride. If there's a hybrid version at a reasonable price point, I'll definitely be interested.

13. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  14. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Noticed those EU pics show a very different interior than the one at the LA Auto Show.

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

15. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  16. Quentin

Quentin Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cargo space went up with seats up and down. It is bigger inside than the CRV and escape. Smaller outside, bigger inside = good design.

17. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I meant shorter. 1" less ground clearance is what it sounds like.

18. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The only real news here is the new 4wd system, although its unlikely to give the rav 4 off good off road skills, they added sport to help it stay in control at higher speeds.

I wan't expecting much more mpg. The top seller in the catagory is the escape that gets 23/33 with the 1.6 turbo, and 22/31 with the 2.5L. It is strange that there was a slight drop in hp in the rav4, but the 6 speed should be able to make up for it.

We get confirmation of a number of speculative things

No hybrid at launch, and no mention of it, meaning its at least a year out in NA.

6 speed transmission instead of the old 4 speed, that should help fuel economy and acceleration if they programmed it correctly for its modes.

Loss of the v6.

Move to make it more car like and less SUV like - lower by about an inch, and a little wider, and drop in max tow rating to 1500lbs.
    It was a refresh that was over due, and it should help grab sales from the escape and cr-v, but not very exciting if you are looking for high mpg.

19. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed. I don't think it beats out the Mazda CX-5 though. The 29mpg combined EPA estimate is nice. Moreso because owners on Fuelly are actually achieving it.

The trans on our 2006 is failing so it's good to hear they got rid of it for 2013.

20. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    No the skyactiv in the CX-5 makes it more efficient than the other vehicles in the class - 26/32/29 versus Toyota's Rav4 projected 24/31/27.
    Quick Comparison - 2013 Escape

I'm sure skyactiv makes good mileage easier to achieve. I wonder if Toyota will put their more efficient di engine in the rav4 when they are done with development.