1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota teases all-new RAV4 ahead of L.A. Auto Show debut

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by ggood, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Assuming they farm it out again to Tesla.
    Doing that, and cancelling the iQ EV, leads me to believe Toyota isn't serious about BEVs. They are betting the future will be fuel cells.

2. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

They are probably betting on developing better battery before having successful BEVs.

3. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In terms of not being serious about BEVs, They probably are looking at sales numbers; Leaf = 1,539 units and Focus Electric = 172 units for November.

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Focus EV is mostly a compliance vehicle for California. Like with the RavEV, Ford farmed most of it out. Unlike the RavEV, they decided to offer it outside of the compliance states.

The Leafs numbers are reason to give them pause. The BEV market is in its infancy still. Out of the ones available, the Leaf is the only one priced for a large market, but its range isn't quite there for that market. Perhaps Toyota is waiting for an advancement in battery tech.

If it is about sales and BEV tech not being ready, why are they bringing a FCV to market in 2015? It will priced $50,000. Higher than the RavEV and base battery Tesla S. A hydrogen gas FCV has the advantages of gasoline in fueling times, but the network by 2015 will only be southern California, and will be for awhile.

So if it's waiting for improvements in tech and market acceptance(sales) with BEV, why move forward with the fuel cell car, with an even smaller possible market?

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Whatever the case may be, would it not be better holistically to have more hybrids on the road than a handful of EVs?

It lowers the cost of hybrids, it gets more people familiar with hybrids and probably has a larger decrease in vehicle emissions than EVs because more people are buying them.

6. Quentin

Quentin Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Plus, depending where you live, your electricity might not come from the cleanest sources. I'm in WV coal country, for example.

7. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    still cleaner than gasoline and also locally-grown. plus, "upgrading" a power plant is much easier than upgrading 1000 cars to have cleaner emissions.

8. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    If you think BEVs selling 2600 this month is slow, just wait for the tiny trickle of FCV in the US in 2015, they will be lucky to sell 10%. There should be over 200 QC in california alone, not to mention tens of thousands of L2 and home charging by then and under 100 fuel cell stations.

Why are they doing FCV, they spent a lot of money in R&D and promoting it, and its hard for a large organization to admit they are wrong until they have to. They also want to continue getting government money, and are getting a large amount from the Japanese, US, and German governments. Saying yes we can also goes along with CARB politics where Toyota and GM have gotten many regulations that favor them, and many that don't.

Your right. I don't think they are, they just are behind Tesla and Nissan in BEV. They backed the wrong strategy with city car. I don't know what is going on back in the lab. I'm sure they are working on something. Perhaps a more aerodynamic CUV that is hybrid, phev, and BEV.

On the RAV4 HV its fairly straightforward that they want tech to improve and/or costs to come down. I"m sure they are looking at c-max to see how well it does and how people feel about the mileage, along with hihy.

lensovet likes this.
  9. Quentin

Quentin Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The companies that strip mine around here would love to advertise "locally grown". :)

lensovet likes this.
  10. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The strip mining pollution is a failure of regulation. Its going to be there with or without plug in cars. Legislation for this is needed. WV is one of the few places where pollution will increase with plug-ins, but it is less than many think. IMHO the reduction of imported oil is worth a slight bit more pollution, but you may disagree. I'm sorry if I'm going OT here.

SO2 and NOx are capped today, but these should be tightened with something like a resurected clear skies program. The only marginal pollution for plug-ins that really contributes in WV is that of mining and CO2 if you consider that a pollutant.
    EPA: Clear Skies -- Clear Skies in West Virginia
    There are lawsuits and some EPA tightening of regulation, but more needs to be done.