1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota TechStream Software

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Dat Boi, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Dat Boi

Dat Boi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi guys!

So tell me, what does the Toyota TechStream have to offer?

Can it read waveforms from sensors? Specifically the 02 Sensors? (Primary reason why I would buy it)

Thanks in advanced!

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It can read lots of sensor values, and other calculated values and parameters in real time, as well as reading the usual diagnostic codes and freeze frame data, etc. It's one of very few solutions able to read data from all of the 20 or so computers in the car, not just, you know, basic engine and brake info.

It will let you select values you're interested in and plot them in graphs over time.

The values it reads, it gets by querying the computers over the network. So this is not quite the same as having a real oscilloscope that you connect directly to a sensor. The sensor is connected to a computer, the computer is repeatedly digitizing the value, and sending the numbers to techstream.

For O2 sensor values that's almost certainly good enough, since the rates of change you're looking for are not superfast.

It also offers a bunch of active diagnostic and utility commands, things it can tell the computers to do for you to help diagnose certain problems, register new keys, etc.

-Chap

3. Dat Boi

Dat Boi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you! I will be investing in this soon :)

4. gatorglenn

gatorglenn Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Good luck. I bought one of the inexpensive USB connectors with the software and could never get it to work. It seems to need Windows 7 or older to work? I tried three different computers with no success.

Glenn

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You get what you pay for.

If you want to install one of those inexpensive USB connectors on Win 8 (and on) you need to ensure it comes with 64-bit drivers.

You can (possibly) install 32-bit drivers, but you need some (a lot) of computer nous and courage to get it to work. But then, in some cases, you never get it to work on a 64-bit system.

6. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    ^what they said. It is an absolute chore to get the software up and running. Do yourself a favor n just buy a cheap windows xp or 7 laptop with the mini vci.