1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota to add solar panels to Prius hybrid: Nikkei

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by lob, Jul 6, 2008.

1. theoriginalwheelstv

theoriginalwheelstv New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I don't know about solar panels but my dealer sold me a wind turbine.

Attached Files:

2. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You know that's a perpetual motion machine you've got there, don't you? Just give the Prius a push, and the blade starts spinning, generating power for the Prius, which then moves under its own power, causing the blade to spin faster , generating more power for the Prius, causing the blade to spin even faster, etc...

I power my Prius with a cat with a piece of buttered toast on its back. Simpler and less costly than your wind turbine approach.

3. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If the A/C has it's own dedicated battery, and it charges while your Prius sits in the parking lot all day, you should be able to power the A/C compressor for the 10 minutes it takes you to drive from work to lunch each day, right? (charge that occurs after lunch will be saved for the next day's lunch drive)

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Audi had the A8's A/C run off solar panels built into the size of the moonroof. Toyota has it covering the roof which is larger than a moonroof so yeah that's plausible

Well then you can have your A/C in rush hour traffic without draining the battery as fast.