1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Toyota To Build A Smaller/Cheaper Mirai

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by El Dobro, May 13, 2016.

1. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  2. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Wow... version 1 failed already?

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well if they come up with an electrolysis unit built-in to the fool-cell car, it could work and be sold anywhere.

You build a high-pressure, electrolysis cell with computer controlled valves, a water tank, and high-pressure, water pump. The water is pumped into the cell until just under the residual pressure in the hydrogen tank. Then plug-in the car to an electrical source. As the water breaks down into 2H{2} and O{2}, the O{2} is vented overboard after the hydrogen feeds the hydrogen tank. In fact the O{2} venting could help operate the high-pressure water pump.

The water comes from the same fitting that feeds electricity to the car. This allows temperature monitoring to prevent freezing in the winter.

Yes, this could work:
    [​IMG]

Hummm, maybe I could get a CARB or Government Grant to develop my idea of a 50-state, portable fool-cell station.

Bob Wilson

#3 bwilson4web, May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
    telmo744 and bisco like this.
  4. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It failed on paper the second they started telling people it was cheaper than the tesla and as good ;-)

I can't see how smaller will help. Those hydrogen tanks need to go somewhere. Size isn't where the cost is, its the tanks and the fuel cell stack. The EQ was a bad idea at this stage, and they were smart enough to cancel it before production. A smaller fcv is also a bad idea, although a luxury vehicle that is slow and hard to fill up never made much sense.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm picturing a hydro tank with wheels and a saddle.

Trollbait likes this.
  6. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    :D

If we can remember the excuses by david lloyd, I know its a lot of years ago, but

People want big heavy SUVs
    Batteries are too heavy to really give a big SUV its range
    Batteries are ok for small cars but big heavy suvs need fuel like hydrogen.

Mary nichols has been repeating these arguments, but stoped saying batteries can't do it, because they are doing it better and cheaper today.

Now Toyota wants to somehow go after the chevy bolt market, but with big tanks. Since their are soft barriers in japan to prevent the bolt from selling, maybe with enough government cash the toyota hydrogen bolt sells in japan, but no where else. It just doesn't make any sense.

Oh and the tesla model X proves batteries can do a big heavy suv, its just going to be really expensive. The race is on PHEV suv or hydrogen suv, diesel has a big head start.

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Then it choked.

Bob Wilson

8. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll stick with the Chevy Bolt, it's a tankless job.

9. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Toyota should make the Matchbox Mirai version for " ants and/or insects " transportation.
    Japanese monetary grants should be available.............

10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The Hot Wheels version will be faster than the Matchbox.

I didn't realize Toyota supplied Mirai to the circus industry--built by clowns for clowns.

11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    "It has urged more rapid deployment of the sites that will be required to fuel the cars it hopes to sell, in Japan and the U.S." - op link

Well Toyota, as I have heard numerous times in various ways, "if you don't like how someone else is doing it, do it yourself."

Only for VW.
    Chevy still has a 1.6L diesel Cruze coming next year, hopefully also available in the new hatchback. A Nissan Frontier with a Cummins 4 cylinder should arrive sooner than later. I haven't heard of Toyota cancelling the V8 Cummins option for the the Tundra. Then F150 test mules with diesels have been spotted running around Michigan.

12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    . . . and most of the diesels in the EU. Apparently 'saving the engine' by turning off the emissions control hardware has been a widely accepted practice: Revealed: nearly all new diesel cars exceed official pollution limits | Business | The Guardian

The good thing is large diesels already had gotten caught and that seemed to have been enough with the exception of VW. Having been bitten, the trust is gone.

The irony is a fuel cell, semi-trailer truck would actually scale well by using a cryogenic, liquid hydrogen storage tank. A set of trucks traveling between depots would do it very nicely (aka., Walmart? FedExpress, USPS, Grayhound):
    NREL: Hydrogen and Fuel Cells Research - Hydrogen Fuel Cell Bus Evaluations

Bob Wilson

#12 bwilson4web, May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
  13. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Many new petrol cars exceeded the official EU NOx limits when tested on the road, and driven in manner like the typical driver. The EU is not the US, and the diesels sold here by other manufacturers have been found to meet the EPA's stricter pollution limits.

14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    on its own dishonesty.

So the already compact Mirai just needs to be a super sub compact .... because their sub compact ev with just a 50 mile range does so well .....

#14 hill, May 14, 2016
    Last edited: May 15, 2016
  15. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep its the eq idea, ofcourse it will be impossible to sell a $40K compact 3 seater mirai when you can buy a prius prime or a tesla model 3 or a bolt, so they must be hoping for some miracles in japan only.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    perhaps they could increase popularity by adding a propeller and making it an amphibious vehicle.

17. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    detachable wings

18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So if we get this used BMW i3-REx in Houston, any chance of dinner at a TexMex in a week or so?

Bob Wilson

19. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wow lets hope this post is up in 10 years, it will be a good laugh for all to read. As they say no risk no gain, Toyota is betting big and their history since 1937 has proved that they know what they are doing.........lets see if Elon Musk has what it takes and the funds to keep going.

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    no - betting against Musk isn't their first bad gamble .... does the December 7, 1941 date ring a bell?
    scoff all you want, but just wait and see. It's all about choices. (wanted to see if I could say that without a smirk - nope)