1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota to continue offering stripped-down 2G Prius alongside 3G Prius

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Jan 22, 2009.

1. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, they tend to fall off in car parks etc.
    Are you telling me that manufacturers make pissy hubcaps for the UK (and maybe European) market that fall off but in the rest of the world they make tough ones that stay on? I doubt it. Very rarely hubcaps fall off here normally the cheap ones from discount parts stores or if they aren't put on correctly after servicing or tyre change but I don't see cable ties on hubcaps here.
    Anyone like to buy some hubcaps? :D

If I was running Toyota I'd be fitting the 2G drive train into a Corolla hatch shell. I'd leave out all the gadgets like touch screen but have a simple economy display, maybe even mono-chrome. But alas, I am not running Toyota.
    This would mean the 3G is the cutting edge and the draw into the showroom but if a customer isn't comfortable with a stand out greeny car they can go up to Camry or down to Corolla and still drive a hybrid. Of course that didn't work for Honda did it?

2. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I could sell the hell out of them at $19,995 MSRP versus the Insight II. Too basic? I have this nice Package #2 Gen 3 at $25000 with sooo much more.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ohoh... making the Pri a two-tiered vehicle will cause a two-tiered price structure. one of the things that "could" (since we dont know what the prices are yet) attract me to the 2010 is more whiz bang features at what i hope to be a modest increase in price.

if this is going to push the Pri near Lexus pricing, which would be a huge mistake, that would not work at all

4. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    are there already list prices for the 2010 prius?

5. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    no

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No but given the features listed, it could very well push into Lexus territory. I think TCI and HCI are playing the waiting game. Each waiting for the other to announce the price of their hybrid. I've heard nothing yet, not even finalized features/specs!

7. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i still think that putting the Pri into a higher cost bracket would be a mistake and i find it hard to believe that Toyota does not know that.

so i still hold to my contention that the top of the line trim will be only the "normal" MY markup to around $31,000 or so. although, as stated in another thread, the top of the line trim for MY 2004-08 has hovered right around $30,000

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ACC/PCS/LKA cost quite a bit (at least the same cost as a nav, if not more) so $1k for those is pretty generous of Toyota.

The reason why is to attract those that come from luxury vehicles into a Prius. They may or may not like the HS250h and would rather want a Prius thus giving them those features will make them go "hmm, a Prius for $30-$35k with features my luxury car didn't have and won't have unless I spend closer to $50k or $60k."

9. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

well toyota ALREADY said that difference between silver and platnium packages will be between 10k and 12k... silver is probably going to be around 25k.. which means that top prius will be >35k vehicle.

10. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    sorry but do not in any way believe that the silver will go for $25k. i figure it to be around 22 at the most

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What's the current price? then add JBL.

12. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    speaking of JBL, after browsing many of the pics on Jay's FTP site, one thing i notice is that all the stat sheets, including the Platinum, states a 6 speaker system. but the PCD pre order site says its 8 speakers... so, what is the story?

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's an 8-speaker JBL system. You can tell by the extra two speakers (I assume tweeters) in the rear doors just like our current car. Oh and the front speakers will have the JBL logo.

Standard is 6-speakers.

14. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry but I'm positive that this will never happen. The 2010 Silver is nearly exactly the same as the 2009 Pckg #4 with these changes

Plus
    • Tilt/Tele SW
    • Adjustable Dr Seat
    • XM
    • 4 Wheel Disk
    • EV / Eco / Pwr Modes
    Minus
    • Only 1 Door SKS
    • HID's
    • [edit] Back up Camera
    The current package #4 in the US goes for about $25900 MSRP. I'd certainly plan on the Silver to have an MSRP of about $25500. But I'd also plan on there being several other packages like today going down as low as $24000 then all the way up to the Platinum in the $33000+ range.

15. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Last night in DC the Prius Team confirmed that there are NO plans - at this time - to continue the Gen 2 past the launch of the Gen 3 in N America. That's a JDM issue only in their minds. I suggested that as per the prior discussions herein it might not be a bad idea.

But there are no plans for the NADM.

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep in mind that a silver is basically one step up from a base 2010 Prius, right?

The only option is the JBL/Bluetooth/XM Radio option so you know there'll be a base model without it. So are you saying the base price of the Prius will be about $24k?

17. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Yes as I understand it the Base Price is supposed to be about $23500 if the Edmunds info is correct. Today's Base Prius in the US is $23300 + $720 Freight, no mats.

18. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i honestly think (and we will find out in 3 months or so) that the new base package will have more on it then previous models. heck i remember paying like $195 for the "option" of a rear wiper on my 2004... well, that is now standard and i think that several things we currently pay extra for will now be standard and i think the silver is pretty much the basic package with little or no "extras" and yes, the 3 mode, bluetooth (hands free is now required in a fast growing list of states anyway) coupled with the loss of SKS for the other 2 doors and the MFD will be standard.

so i have to stand by my prediction that the silver package is around 22,000

19. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

oookay. But I think it's unrealistic to hope for a $4000 discount from the G2's. From yesterday's discussion in DC with the Prius Team if the currency remains against Toyota they specifically said that the deciders in Japan may just go with the flow on the currency. That would put the Silver ( Pckg #4 ) in the $29000 range, or IOW, 'Fuggedaboudit, we'll catch you later when the currency issue returns to a better level.'

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That and they have to think about the future. If the economy improves, they'll have to make sure that the price is competitive without having to drop the price (and thus ruin the resale value of those who bought it prior)