1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota to drop price of prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by trueaspects, Feb 2, 2011.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I seriously doubt Prius prices in the US will drop significantly unless either the dollar gets stronger against the yen, some other much cheaper competitor (and viable) comes out or Prius demand nosedives for some reason.

The yen is far too strong against the dollar. Go to USD/JPY Currency Conversion Chart - Yahoo! Finance and click on max.

The strong yen is really hurting Japanese automakers w/cars made in Japan, like the Prius. If they started Prius production in the US and most parts were sourced from NA suppliers, that'd help bring the costs down.

From Toyota, Panasonic Recoveries Limited by Yen Strength - Bloomberg
    Right now $1 USD = 81.635 Japanese yen

When I first visited Japan in late 01, $1 got you ~110-120 yen. Fast forward to late 09 and ouch!

2. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Nah. Oil prices are soaring ever higher, so wouldn't all consumer goods go up in price, including cars? That, and the Prius is the best selling car in Japan (I said that in the other thread too), so why in the heck would the price go downwards?

3. Unlimited_MPG

Unlimited_MPG Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Current incentives in my area show they are trying to move them and cut the price a little.

2010 Prius 0% financing for 60 months or $1000 cash back
    or
    2011 Prius 2.9% financing for 60 months or $500 cash back.

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I thought it was supposed to compete with the Insight. Insight starts around $18k. Prius C will get a lot better MPG so Toyota can probably charge premium. I wouln't expect it to cost less than $18k but more.

5. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    IF IF IF gas prices continue to rise at the clip they have a price depression on the Prius is just unlikely.

6. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I actually support a small rise in the fuel tax over the course of a year or two. From what I've read, it's one of the few taxes that goes specifically into a trust solely for road work. I could be missing information there, but if that's actually the case, then I can live with a small increase. It would cut people back on the frivilous driving and maybe make them start to plan more of their trips appropriately. I also think that GWB pumped about $8B into that trust because it didn't have funds to cover expenses. What I don't support, is raising the fuel tax to cover the national debt (or any other items). At least, not at this point in time. But, raise the tax 1 cent/month for a year, and most people will never notice. If it helps keeps the roads I drive on in better shape, then I'm OK with it. We all use the roads, we should all be responsible with the cost to maintain them.

The downside to higher FE vehicles, is less fuel consumed, less funds to maintain the roads, and then the roads are in worse shape. Let's start with maintaining what we've got, before we go and build a bunch more that we can't afford.

7. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That was until the Insight wasn't selling too well.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nissan pulled the Cube out of Europe b/c of the exchange rate.

9. mainerinexile

mainerinexile No longer in exile!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base