1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota to halve hybrid price for next Prius

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by IsrAmeriPrius, Oct 27, 2007.

1. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But carbon fibre is very expensive, ABS plastics would be a good thing in non load bearing parts not things like bulkheads, roof, floor and rear quarters which are structural. I know the bonnet on the X-Trail is feather light. Was the Camaro and Trans-Am fibreglass or ABS? Correctly mounted and engineered ABS parts can still feel solid even if they are thin and light. See if you can find a steel bumper from a 1960s car and an ABS bumper from a 200? model, feel the difference in weight.
    Anyway, I was just thinking onto my keyboard, sleep time now.

2. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    35-40mpg in a Prius? That is not normal.

A gas Hybrid, like the Prius, was an excellent decision by Toyota. If they had gone for a diesel hybrid they would not have been able to achieve the PZEV status. Remember there are two main selling points for the Prius. 1. Excellent MPG. 2. Ultra low emissions. You need both of those items if you want to secure the "Tree Hugger" market.

Audi's idea of a performance hybrid is good too. Definately a different market than the Prius, and I think there is a big market for a "performance hybrid"

The public is probably ready for a Diesel hybrid. However, it will not be a "performance hybrid" so it will be competing with a Prius. It better get significantly better mileage than the Prius or no one will buy it. It will definately be more expensive, and it will pollute more than a Prius. Therefore, the only thing it could possibly have going for it is better mileage than a Prius. Good luck is all I can say to that.

Current EPA rating for a Prius are about 45-50mpg for a Prius? Right? A Diesel hybrid better get more than 65mpg or I doubt it would be very popular. 70mpg would be a really nice number to hit. IMHO.