1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota to replace 2004-2009 Prius gas pedals, give new all-weather mats

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by hampdenwireless, Nov 25, 2009.

1. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    This morning Toyota announced details of their remedy for the "sudden acceleration" issues, or "gas pedal stuck under mat"-itis. Beginning in April of 2010, Toyota will offer to replace any 2004-2009 Prius' gas pedal. Starting in the beginning of 2010, dealers will be able to re-shape the existing gas pedal if you're interested in a half-way repair. Toyota will also provide any Prius owner who has a set of OEM all-weather floor mats with re-designed replacement mats. The specific measures of the vehicle-based remedy are as follows:
    1. The shape of the accelerator pedal will be reconfigured to address the risk of floor mat entrapment, even when an older-design all-weather floor mat or other inappropriate floor mat is improperly attached, or is placed on top of another floor mat. For the ES350, Camry, and Avalon models involved, the shape of the floor surface underneath will also be reconfigured to increase the space between the accelerator pedal and the floor.
    2. Vehicles with any genuine Toyota or Lexus accessory all-weather floor mat will be provided with newly-designed replacement driver- and front passenger-side all-weather floor mats.
    Full press release: Toyota Announces Details of Remedy to Address Potential Accelerator Pedal Entrapment
    Torrance, Calif., November 25, 2009 - - Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. (TMS) announced today details of the vehicle-based remedy to address the root cause of the potential risk for floor mat entrapment of accelerator pedals in certain Toyota and Lexus models. Toyota issued a consumer safety advisory on September 29 on this issue and has, as an interim measure, commenced the mailing of safety notices to certain Toyota and Lexus owners on October 30. The models involved are: 2007 to 2010 MY (model year) Camry, 2005 to 2010 MY Avalon, 2004 to 2009 MY Prius, 2005 to 2010 MY Tacoma, 2007 to 2010 MY Tundra, 2007 to 2010 MY ES350, 2006 to 2010 MY IS250, and 2006 to 2010 MY IS 350. The specific measures of the vehicle-based remedy are as follows: 1. The shape of the accelerator pedal will be reconfigured to address the risk of floor mat entrapment, even when an older-design all-weather floor mat or other inappropriate floor mat is improperly attached, or is placed on top of another floor mat. For the ES350, Camry, and Avalon models involved, the shape of the floor surface underneath will also be reconfigured to increase the space between the accelerator pedal and the floor. 2. Vehicles with any genuine Toyota or Lexus accessory all-weather floor mat will be provided with newly-designed replacement driver- and front passenger-side all-weather floor mats. In addition, as a separate measure independent of the vehicle-based remedy, Toyota will install a brake override system onto the involved Camry, Avalon, and Lexus ES 350, IS350 and IS 250 models as an extra measure of confidence. This system cuts engine power in case of simultaneous application of both the accelerator and brake pedals. Toyota is in the process of completing development of these actions and for the ES350, Camry, and Avalon will start notifying owners of the involved vehicles via first-class mail by the end of this year. The remedy process regarding the other five models will occur on a rolling schedule during 2010. Dealers will be trained and equipped to make the necessary modifications to these models starting at the beginning of 2010. Initially, dealers will be instructed on how to reshape the accelerator pedal for the repair. As replacement parts with the same shape as the modified pedal become available, they will be made available to dealers for the repair, beginning around April 2010. Customers who have had the remedy completed will have the opportunity to receive a new pedal if they desire. In the meantime, owners of the involved vehicles are asked to take out any removable driver’s floor mat and not replace it with any other floor mat until they are notified of the vehicle-based remedy, as notified in the consumer safety advisory and the interim notice. The brake override system will be made standard equipment throughout the Toyota and Lexus product lines starting with January 2010 production of ES350 and Camry and is scheduled to be incorporated into new production of most models by the end of 2010. The safety of our owners and the public is our utmost concern and Toyota has and will continue to thoroughly investigate and take appropriate measures to address any defect trends that are identified. Owners who have further questions are asked to visit www.toyota.com or www.lexus.com or contact the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 1-800-331-4331 or Lexus Customer Assistance at 1-800-295-3987.
    ###​
    The latest news about Toyota's consumer safety advisory for potential floor mat interference with the accelerator pedal in certain Toyota and Lexus vehicles:​
    Toyota USA Update on Safety Advisory - Video (Nov. 2, 2009/Updated Nov. 5, 2009)​
    NHTSA report (Nov. 2, 2009)​
    Toyota owner letter (Nov. 2, 2009)​

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Re: Toyota to replace 3.8M gas pedals - Washington Post

I'd like to see the formal press release from Toyota but we pretty well knew this was coming. Here are a couple of photos showing the smaller, NHW20 accelerator assembly, and the older, NHW11:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The older, NHW11 accelerator suffers a problem with 'noisy wipers' in the sensor. A replacement accelerator is ~$500 or the sensor can be disassembled and cleaned (Thanks Doug.) But the interesting part is the NHW20 accelerator.

The question is will the tip of the old accelerator be 'cut down in the field' or a new part issued?

I'd like to have the 'smart pedal' system retrofitted to my wife's ZVW30.

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  3. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

I'm so-o-o-o jealous. My wife's HyCam gets a new pedal, but my 2010 Prius doesn't get anything!

4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Let's wait until the formal press release comes out. I suspect our 2010 will be covered. Having taken delivery of a 2010 Prius without the floor mat clips (corrected the next day because I knew to call,) I suspect it will be covered:
    [​IMG]

OWCH! You were right:
    http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/toyota/toyota-consumer-safety-advisory-102572.aspx

Strange omission, the 2010 Prius. One possibility is the ZVW30 Prius may mount the accelerator pedal higher than the NHW20. Anyone have a photo of the accelerator area like mine to compare?

The press release mentions a letter coming that also asks:
    Bob Wilson

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

As a clarification, aren't almost all of the controls of the Prius fly-by-wire software controlled? Wouldn't the ability to brake while accelerating be controllable through a firmware upgrade? Has anyone tried to brake while accelerating?

6. mjv

mjv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

They just announced this on CNBC, said that Toyota had a conference call to recall 3.8 million vehicles, some to replace the pedal and some models would get a modified braking system.

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

It is called a 'forced charge' and used to put a maximum charge on a battery. With the vehicle stopped, mash on the brake and floor the accelerator. The engine will run and put a charge on the traction battery. It is often used at Hybridfest when members of the press are going to drive 'prepared' cars.

Bob Wilson

8. dorf

dorf Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Gas Pedal--Re-call ?

I'm confused about the gas pedal replacement (Recall)for the 04-08?.

I've got an '07 and there is plenty of clearance, between the pedal and the mat.

Comments ????

9. plowe2

plowe2 newbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Re: Gas Pedal--Re-call ?

Me too - it seems to be 2004-09 Prius models and I have a 2010 but the dealer seem to know mot much.

ANY insight from this forum would be appreciated.

10. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A

There's no reason why this behavior can't be maintained in addition to the smart-braking. If MPH = 0, allow force charge, otherwise, disable accelerator.

11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I would prefer use of "Park" for this function so the parking pawl helps to hold the car stationary.

Bob Wilson

12. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just posted the news item to the front page of PC. The recall effects all owners of 2G Priui, 2004-2009.

Toyota to replace 2004-2009 Prius gas pedals, give new all-weather mats | PriusChat

This morning Toyota announced details of their remedy for the "sudden acceleration" issues, or "gas pedal stuck under mat"-itis. Beginning in April of 2010, Toyota will offer to replace any 2004-2009 Prius' gas pedal. Starting in the beginning of 2010, dealers will be able to re-shape the existing gas pedal if you're interested in a half-way repair. Toyota will also provide any Prius owner who has a set of OEM all-weather floor mats with re-designed replacement mats.

The specific measures of the vehicle-based remedy are as follows:

1. The shape of the accelerator pedal will be reconfigured to address the risk of floor mat entrapment, even when an older-design all-weather floor mat or other inappropriate floor mat is improperly attached, or is placed on top of another floor mat. For the ES350, Camry, and Avalon models involved, the shape of the floor surface underneath will also be reconfigured to increase the space between the accelerator pedal and the floor.
    2. Vehicles with any genuine Toyota or Lexus accessory all-weather floor mat will be provided with newly-designed replacement driver- and front passenger-side all-weather floor mats.
    Full press release:

Toyota Announces Details of Remedy to Address Potential Accelerator Pedal Entrapment

Torrance, Calif., November 25, 2009 - - Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. (TMS) announced today details of the vehicle-based remedy to address the root cause of the potential risk for floor mat entrapment of accelerator pedals in certain Toyota and Lexus models. Toyota issued a consumer safety advisory on September 29 on this issue and has, as an interim measure, commenced the mailing of safety notices to certain Toyota and Lexus owners on October 30.

The models involved are: 2007 to 2010 MY (model year) Camry, 2005 to 2010 MY Avalon, 2004 to 2009 MY Prius, 2005 to 2010 MY Tacoma, 2007 to 2010 MY Tundra, 2007 to 2010 MY ES350, 2006 to 2010 MY IS250, and 2006 to 2010 MY IS 350.

The specific measures of the vehicle-based remedy are as follows:

In addition, as a separate measure independent of the vehicle-based remedy, Toyota will install a brake override system onto the involved Camry, Avalon, and Lexus ES 350, IS350 and IS 250 models as an extra measure of confidence. This system cuts engine power in case of simultaneous application of both the accelerator and brake pedals.

Toyota is in the process of completing development of these actions and for the ES350, Camry, and Avalon will start notifying owners of the involved vehicles via first-class mail by the end of this year. The remedy process regarding the other five models will occur on a rolling schedule during 2010.

Dealers will be trained and equipped to make the necessary modifications to these models starting at the beginning of 2010. Initially, dealers will be instructed on how to reshape the accelerator pedal for the repair. As replacement parts with the same shape as the modified pedal become available, they will be made available to dealers for the repair, beginning around April 2010. Customers who have had the remedy completed will have the opportunity to receive a new pedal if they desire.

In the meantime, owners of the involved vehicles are asked to take out any removable driver’s floor mat and not replace it with any other floor mat until they are notified of the vehicle-based remedy, as notified in the consumer safety advisory and the interim notice.

The brake override system will be made standard equipment throughout the Toyota and Lexus product lines starting with January 2010 production of ES350 and Camry and is scheduled to be incorporated into new production of most models by the end of 2010.

The safety of our owners and the public is our utmost concern and Toyota has and will continue to thoroughly investigate and take appropriate measures to address any defect trends that are identified.

Owners who have further questions are asked to visit www.toyota.com or www.lexus.com or contact the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 1-800-331-4331 or Lexus Customer Assistance at 1-800-295-3987.

###

The latest news about Toyota's consumer safety advisory for potential floor mat interference with the accelerator pedal in certain Toyota and Lexus vehicles:

Unintended Acceleration: Toyota Addresses the Issues (Nov. 6, 2009)

Toyota's Statement Regarding NHTSA News Release (Nov. 4, 2009)

Toyota USA Update on Safety Advisory - Video (Nov. 2, 2009/Updated Nov. 5, 2009)

Toyota Begins Interim Notification to Owners Regarding Future Voluntary Safety Recall Related to Floor Mats (Nov. 2, 2009)

NHTSA report (Nov. 2, 2009)

Toyota owner letter (Nov. 2, 2009)

Toyota Consumer Safety Advisory: Potential Floor Mat Interference with Accelerator Pedal (Sept. 29, 2009)

Toyota/Carpeted/All-Weather Floor Mat Inspection, Application & Installation Instructions (Sept. 29, 2009)

Toyota Carpet Floor Mat Application Information Chart (Sept. 29, 2009)

Toyota All-Weather Floor Mat Quick Reference Chart (Sept. 29, 2009)

13. PortlandPrius

PortlandPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Toyota recalls 3.8 million vehicles

Toyota recalls 3.8 million vehicles to replace gas pedals. Includes 2004-2009 Prius.

14. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Googling
    toyota "gas pedal" recall
    does not yet turn up any images of the replacement pedals. I imagine they will be an inch or two shorter than the originals. Perhaps they'll include a carpet deflector, or a feature that causes a creeping carpet to push the pedal up instead of down?

15. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius

Toyota to change gas pedal as part of huge recall | Special Coverage | Reuters
    My question is if it is just a shape change and I don't have such floormat problem then why bother going to the dealer and risking the possibility that they screw up the changeover?

16. Radiant

Radiant New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, here you go. I picked my car up at the dealership (bought off the lot) 11 days ago. The clips are in place and the floor mat appears to be far enough away from the accelorator.

DSCN0443.JPG

17. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Toyota to replace 4M gas pedals that could jam - Yahoo! News

I feel the same way -- why bother to fix something that I think ain't broke?

But I think I will get it "fixed" when the time comes.

I don't think even my lousy dealer would screw it up.

And more importantly, if I ever sell it, buyers are going to want to have had the recall done.

18. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Not just the Prius, but almost every new vehicle - no matter what the brand - has a by-wire accelerator pedal control. For example, my FJ Cruiser has a by-wire gas pedal, and electric assist brakes

When I still had my Prius, I did try the stunt at highway speeds of flooring the gas pedal with my right foot, and tromping the brake pedal with my left foot. The car stopped fairly quickly, though not as quickly as if I had put both feet on the brake pedal

With my FJ, the same stunt and you slow down, but I could see how you could easily cook the brakes. Obviously, the best approach to a loss of accelerator pedal control is to shift into neutral. Every modern electronically controlled car will rev limit the motor so it shouldn't blow up

Consumer Reports also did a test using a Toyota Venza and a VW Golf. The German's have a different philosophy regarding priority for gas vs brake, the Golf quickly stopped. The Venza didn't, until they shifted into Neutral

The "brake override" should be a software flash only

19. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Resale, a dealer will look to see that all recalls have been carried out.

20. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Listen to the engine note when Carolyn brakes. It drops right down to idle. As she presses and releases the accelerator with the brake pedal pressed, MG1's speed changes a bit but it doesn't otherwise do anything.

Luscious Garage's shop car has had a PHEV conversion, but I'm not sure if this is that car. It looks like the monitor visible on the right of the video is connected to the DLC3 connector (under the steering column), but I'm not sure if CAN-View would normally be permanently installed. This car has the high-res screen which is not supported by CAN-View so you need a separate monitor.