1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Toyota to Unveil GR HV SPORTS concept at Tokyo Motor Show 2017

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bhtooefr, Oct 6, 2017.

1. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    001.jpg

Toyota to Unveil GR HV SPORTS concept at Tokyo Motor Show 2017 | TOYOTA Global Newsroom

So, I'm not sure what hybrid system this actually has - the "THS-R" designation has been used on:
    • A racing-modified GS 450h, complete with the stock L110 power split device
    • A racing-modified Supra with a rear axle motor and two front wheel motors
    • Toyota's LMP1 hybrids with a motor sandwiched between the engine and 6/7-speed sequential manual transmission, and (except for the TS030) a front axle motor.
    There's also been the apr racing Prius GT300, which at least in the Gen 3-based car had the motor on the back side of the 6-speed sequential manual transmission's input shaft (same effect as being sandwiched, but with worse weight distribution), and the Gen 4 likely has the same effect but with the motor in a different place, and the Yaris Hybrid-R concept, which had a sandwiched front motor and two rear wheel motors, but I don't believe those got the THS-R designation (because Toyota themselves didn't do the apr cars' hybrid systems, and the Yaris Hybrid-R was never raced).

However, the fact that they actually put a fake manual shifter on this thing makes me suspect it's a sandwiched motor on a 6-speed automatic. It might be the L210, though, from the IS/RC/GS 300h, with software to get the fake gears.

#1 bhtooefr, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    pilotgrrl, telmo744 and godzillaismad like this.
  2. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope it's simple, fun and not expensive :D

If this gets into production then I bet the design will be something similar to normal Toyota hybrids, maybe similar to LC 500h multi stage hybrid just a smaller engine in lighter car. How does that gear changes work in multi stage hybrid, does it feel fake or real? If I remember correctly there are 4 physical gears and out comes 10 simulated, GR HV would maybe need only 3 physical and out comes 6 simulated gears.

#2 GasperG, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    pilotgrrl likes this.