1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota tops Consumers Reports’ 2014 car-brand perception survey

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, Feb 6, 2014.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Toyota tops Consumers Reports’ 2014 car-brand perception survey - Yahoo Autos

2. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)Glad to see Toyota number one. Surprised to see Honda at number three, behind Ford. Scion was a surprise at number seventeen. My Prius is my second Toyota. Chances are, I'll add another Toyota soon.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Actually, the 17 isn't a position, it's a score.

4. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Looked at the CR site for the more detailed story. Interesting that this CR survey does not include "comfort" as a major category, and that Toyota and Honda don't make the top 5 in "design/style" (so true). Toyota led in Quality, Value and Fuel Economy perceptions. Tesla led in tech, though I'm not sure they do anything different there, other than their giant 17" touchpad. Tech is of least importance to people, and the focus on email etc is not moving people. They want practical tech like blind spot tech and better nav systems.

Overall, I think this survey is probably badly designed and conducted. How else explain lexus not making the top 10 in overall brand perception, or Scion being in the bottom 10?

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The surveyees could see Lexus as overpriced Toyotas, and Scions as cheaply made ones. For the first, Toyota is good, but paying more for that goodness will take off the shine some. For the second, cheaply made infers lower quality.

I find it surprising the Scion is so low though. Perhaps it's from used models. The brand is targeted to younger drivers. Who might not take the best care of it. The sportiness and customability also attracts modders. I remember it was possible to get early Scions without paint, just primer. Seeing such cars a few years down the road might leave a negative impression.

6. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    More understandable when you take into the full name of the category.
    It isn't 'technology' it is "technology and innovation".

This is also perceptions. People don't see lane assist, and blind spot detection isn't something most people think of.

A car that uses no gas and can go coast to coast at no fueling cost is innovative. A large sedan that has the storage capacity of a small SUV, goes 250 miles a day, and has performance that will shame any other large sedan and many sports cars is innovative.

I applaud Toyota getting the first place overall. Please don't belittle Tesla's achievements.

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd be very happy if I was Toyota.
    The accomplishment is all the more impressive when you think back to all the recalls and negative publicity Toyota had to weather.
    The perception of Quality is important when it comes to selling vehicles. The reality of quality is important in creating that perception. If you don't have one you won't have the other for very long.

Zythryn likes this.
  8. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    To maintain their position in the face of improving competition, Toyota must improve their dealer network.

9. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Using no gas for traveling hardly is innovative at all. How quick one forgets history. The Baker Electric was one of the first BEV @ early 1900's. The advent of the gasoline powered car, quickly over took the Baker.:)
    DBCassidy

10. dbcassidy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota and Ford are ahead of Chevrolet. What surprised me is Cadillac is even lower on the chart.o_O

DBCassidy

11. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    How many of those surveyed know about the Baker, or even that electrics were around at the turn of the century?

telmo744 and Silver bullit like this.
  12. dbcassidy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Innovation started when the BEV was introduced by the Baker to the motoring public. One can not call the BEV today as being innovative. (post #6) They can call it re-incarnation / refinement / reintroduction of the BEV.

DBCassidy

telmo744 likes this.
  13. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They can if they don't know about the Baker, and the survey is about perceptions of a company's technology and innovation.

Did Baker install a quick charger network?
    What was its range?
    Was his car designed with fire safety in mind?
    Did it have retractable door handles?
    Did it have doors? A roof?

If bringing out a BEV with wide availability isn't innovative because it was done over a hundred years ago, then neither is turning headlights or improving ICE efficiency and performance. The survey is about the brand's perception not their individual products. Tesla has a car with many of the techy gizmos and doodads. It is also a BEV that comes close to being a replacement for an ICE one. They are the only company doing BEV only, and Nissan is the only one making a large investment in them. The others are dabbling in case or really don't want to bother.

14. dbcassidy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Who the heck cares. The Baker has made its' mark in the automotive history book, and it stands.

DBCassidy

15. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You seem too by claiming Tesla isn't an innovative company because it existed.

16. dbcassidy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Those words are yours, not mine. Don't make that a nasty habit, les that is your intent. Anyway about Tesla - they will beat the pants off GM and Chevrolet - no question there.

DBCassidy

17. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid