1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Tracking Vehicle Useage Surreptitiously?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by jrb451, Mar 1, 2012.

1. jrb451

jrb451 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sorry, originally posted in the wrong forum. PS, one person has already told me to take of my tin foil hat. :)

A couple of months ago, while out of town on a trip, my odometer passed the 30,000 mile mark. That afternoon I got a call from my Toyota dealership reminding me to make an appointment for my 30,000 check up. Strange I thought. How did they know this? Coincidence I guess.

Then, today, I get and e-mail from them that states in part: "Our records indicate that your 2010 Prius (1.8L) with 33,869 miles may be due for the following service: 40,000 Mile or 48 Month Maintenance maintenance visit."

They are within 250 miles of what's on my odometer. How do they know this stuff? What else are they collecting about my driving that I'm not aware of? Are they going to start alerting the local police department if I exceed the speed limit so they can send me a ticket?

Anyone else have this experience with Toyota?

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    They extrapolated based on average miles driven per year.

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^ Concur.

You have a LOT more to worry about with Google than you do with the folks in Aichi, and even THEN I don't think I would try the aluminum foil hat trick. It just isn't worth worrying about.
    I think they just extrapolated.

1 person likes this.
  4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Reverse the question: if Toyota *was* keeping really close tabs on you, would they make it so obvious ?

5. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My Aunt gets these notices from GM dealer for a car she totaled in Dec. 2002. She's been gone since 2006. I will note that Onstar sends this kind data to GM. It's part of the service you signed up for. I would expect TToyota/Lexus safety connect to do the same, it's what we payed for.