1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Transmission fuild in my brake fluid, is this bad?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Groger, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Groger

Groger Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi

Yes yes, I know, I'm am an idiot. Brake fluid was low but for some reason I thought it was the power steering fluid. Went to Toyota Parts department, told them I had a 2011 Toyota Prius and needed power steering fluid. They sold me Transmission fluid. Went home, waited until car was cold. Purred in the transmission fluid in the brake fluid reservoir. It looked strange, the fluid in the reservoir was clear brown and the fluid I had was pink. Right after I poured it, I checked the book, and yup, brake reservoir. I thought I had already checked it, I guess I was wrong.

So, can I drive about 6 miles to the garage to get it changed? or should I get it towed?

Thanks

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Do not drive it or open the drivers doors. Have the reservoir suctioned out ASAP. Refill with brake fluid and repeat suction and refill. For ultimate peace of mind then have the system fully flushed; probably due anyway.

Good luck

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Groger

Groger Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That is what I am thinking, I am going to have it towed and have a full fluid change.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you have not driven it since the mix-up, I would DEFINITELY follow @fotomoto 's advice first. Take a taxi or whatever to get some DOT 3 brake fluid, at least one pint, preferably Toyota. Then, baste out as much as you can, refill, baste, refill, as many times as possible.

Note that there is a sort of basket inside the reservoir, not that deep, with just a narrow slot through which you can get a skinny tube down deeper. And then, yeah, get it towed to dealership, tell them the whole story, ask for a thorough brake fluid change.

FWIW, if a brake system is not leaking, and it shouldn't be: the brake fluid should NEVER need a top up. It's natural for the level to drop.

5. slewinson

slewinson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Adding mineral oil to a brake system will destroy the seals, and I would replace every last one of them before driving the car. Even a minute amount will cause the seals to swell and eventually fail.

Replaceing all the bits will be expensive!

Simon

MrMischief likes this.
  6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you have some basic diy tools, you can remove the reservoir pretty easily. Use a baster and take out as much as possible and remove the reservoir and clean it out with brake fluid.

Then take it to a garage a do a brake fluid flush out, make sure everything comes out.

7. Groger

Groger Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks everyone, garage fixed it, they flushed it out. All good now. I was lucky, only cost $65. Also, thank you to CAA for the free tow.

Bluegrassman and Mendel Leisk like this.
  8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Wow. Lucky, I hope. Only time will tell. But it sounds like you're ok. Just for your info. the master brake cylinder in the Prius is pretty expensive, due to its dual nature of regen/friction braking.

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    $65 what a deal

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, go and sin no more. And say ten "invalid mode" procedures, as penance:

set parking brake
    without foot on brake, press start button twice
    foot on brake, shift to Neutral
    press brake 8 times in 5 seconds
    push park button
    foot on brake, shift to Neutral
    push park button
    (car should exhibit blinking brake symbol, indicating in "invalid mode", for brake bleeding without techstream)

11. slewinson

slewinson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would refuse to drive it till the master cylinder was rebuilt or replaced. Expensive? Yep, but I value my life. One droplet of oil that was missed could cause a brake failure.

Simon

12. Eastside

Eastside Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    $65, Wow . . . Any chance that your mechanic wants to move south for the Winter ?

13. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would really like to hear a follow up to this in a month. Everything I think I know about brake systems and mineral oil is that the gaskets will swell and you will lose your brakes, starting with the master cylinder. And it should happen quickly.

If your mechanic says OK... well.... he knows better than I do so I don't mean to scare you but I would really like to know if it's still fine after a month.

slewinson and Mendel Leisk like this.