1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Unveils Advanced Prius Tech

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Jeff N, Oct 13, 2015.

1. HGS

HGS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    All of this is bathed in transaxle fluid? I thought I read that in other posts about the transaxle. The electric motors are not dry?

2. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Right. The transaxle fluid helps cool the motor winding.

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Active could likely be to distinguished it from traditional brake boosters. In them, the boost for the power brakes is powered by the vacuum produced in the air manifold of a spark engine. This vacuum also produced inefficiencies to engine operation known as 'pumping loses'. The vacuum is an area of low pressure made behind a partially opened throttle plate. While engineers have tapped this vacuum for boosting brakes and operating other accessories, it sucks back on the descending cylinders while the injection valves are open. It's like breathing through a stuffy nose.

Reducing pumping losses will increase the overall fuel efficiency of the engine, but you can end up without enough vacuum to boost the hydraulic brakes. Diesels, which have no throttle plate, thus no vacuum, simply use a vacuum pump, which then can power all the other vacuum powered subsystems developed for gasoline cars, like the EGR. Whether because the engine isn't always running to make vacuum(hybrid), or it simply doesn't produce enough vacuum pressure(tiny, turbochared ICE), a hydraulic pump like Bob describes is used to boost the brakes.

These are commonly called accumulators, because they store(accumulate) hydraulic pressure built up from a smaller pump. I guess a larger pump could replace the entire system, but it is less efficient and/or costs more, and the accumulator can provide brake boost for some brake applications in the event that the pump fails.

This on a larger scale is how hydraulic hybrids capture brake energy.

The limits on regen brake capture is on the electrical side of the driven train. In regards to hybrids, it is mostly limited by battery size and chemistry. Pumping energy into the pack produces heat because of the cells internal resistance, and too much will damage it.

4. KrPtNk

KrPtNk Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    improve brake feel and control while reducing noise reduction, the all-new Prius utilizes a newly-developed active hydraulic booster for its regenerative brakes.

Thank you for the explanation. I figured that the Prius didn't have the kind of brake booster that I have been used to, but I thought it was because the ice isn't on all the time. It interesting to think about "pumping losses" and their effect on efficiency.

The more one learns about its engineering, the more exciting this car becomes.

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Well, it is because the engine isn't running all the time.;) But I also know my Sonic with the 1.4L turbo has some type of active booster. Like electric steering, we'll start seeing active brake boosters, and other once hybrid only tech, on more cars as more efficiency is squeezed out of the ICE.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's 70km/h and 100km/h respectively, actually.

Or, if we take the PiP as the half-generation improvement, it's 100km/h to 110km/h :) I know, it doesn't sound as impressive. It could also hint at the capabilities of the PiP since (it's safe to assume?) it'll use similar hardware to the Gen 4.

Yeah it's about 7mph (11km/h actually). It depends on how hard you brake. If you brake close to max regen, the change over is imperceptible. If you brake lightly all the way down to 11km/h, you'll feel the brakes grab. It's an improvement over the Gen 2 where you'll feel the transition which, one hand, made it easy to tell if you've braked too hard (because Gen 2 owners had no "CHG" indicator).

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    At the local EV club the other day, we had an extensive discussion about tweaks Nissan did to Leaf over the years. The 2015 drives much better & further than the 2012, despite being the same generation. Engineers were allowed to release an array of updates along the way.

It's quite realistic for us to see a collection of performance improvements with the next Prius PHV. Toyota never stopped research & development, despite what the naysayers spin.

Too bad so many people get hung up on maximum ratings. As a result, they totally overlook actual utilization. Put simplistically, what is the point of a 60kW rated electric-motor when you only have a battery-pack delivering 38kW of electricity? Making the two better match is an optimization easily not recognized. Yet, things like that are what contribute to overall improvement.

We already know the engine has been improved, delivering a 9% gain in the winter. That's a big deal. Some will complain anyway, focusing on the fact that the engine still runs at times... even though the resulting efficiency is noticeably better. It's a well thought out, versatile design. Both the regular model and plug-in will benefit.

We have many things to look forward to.

8. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    BIGGER, more powerful, 0-60 etc. are so 20th century...

KrPtNk likes this.
  9. HGS

HGS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Installing electric motors rated higher than needed contributes to the reliability of the Prius. If a less powerful motor was constantly being pushed to its maximum output the failure rate would be much higher.

Look at boat and small aircraft engines. They are constantly used near maximum power, and they require rebuilding after 1000 - 2000 hours of use. That same boat engine used in a car will have a much easier and longer life. Jet aircraft will many times have high output engines that are derated. Some of these engines will last 12,000 hours and more.

I'm not disagreeing with your post, just adding reasons why Toyota uses high output motors.

10. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    I completely agree with that, although power-splitting with the gas engine running needs around 60 kW in some conditions which is largely why they chose that specification of 60 kW in the first place.

Next time around will be interesting. Many people speculate that Toyota may roughly double the battery pack to be around 8.8 kWh for 20-25 miles of EV range. In that case, the battery output limit may be around twice the old limit of 38.

So now you have a battery capable of around 76 kW of output but an MG2 inherited from the non-plug Prius that is rated for a maximum of 53 kW. That seems odd. Does this imply that the next Prius PHV battery is more likely to be around 1.5 times the old battery to more closely match the MG2 power rating and to avoid cabin area space intrusion? Or does it imply that the 53 kW specifications for the non-plug Prius are overly conservative and can be increased for the PHV without any transaxle hardware change? Or will the PHV use a modified transaxle?

If Toyota added a passive one-way clutch to the input engine axle (similar to the gen 2 Volt) it would allow them to have a dual-motor EV mode in which they could leverage MG1 and its inverter circuits together with MG2. That would raise the combined EV motor output capability high enough to match any battery size they are likely to use for the next PHV without needing to increase the motor or inverter specs. It might also allow them to potentially optimize efficiency by taking advantage of the the slightly different MG1 and MG2 gear ratios with respect to the wheels to use one or both together at different vehicle speeds and torque demands.

I'm interested to see what they will do.

MERGED

The reason why Toyota rates the larger electric motor (MG2) beyond the output power of the battery is because they combine battery power with additional electricity generated by the gas engine and the smaller motor generator (MG1). So, they probably actually do utilize the maximum 53 kW rating on the MG2 motor on the road in some realistic driving conditions.

#70 Jeff N, Oct 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2015
    breakfast, Pale Fox, fuzzy1 and 3 others like this.
  11. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I doubt it, Maybe in very rare and extreme circumstances, 53 kW is a lot and you have an engine.
    I think HGS meant continuously used.

#71 giora, Oct 17, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  12. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    I would expect to see close to this during brisk acceleration but also while climbing mountain roads and for some people that's part of their daily commute.

Maybe someone with OBD-II data an speak to this question.

13. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, when you need all system power..I think HGS meant continuous use.
    For me: I have never floored the pedal.

14. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Off the technical subject:
    I've been looking at the head and tail lights of other 2015 Toyota vehicles, as well as the competition. While I really do not care for the head and tail lights on the new Prius, I can see that is one area to personalize the design. So many cars today have the same profile. If you were to remove the badges from many vehicles, it would be difficult for the casual observed to tell them apart. Head and tail lights are one area where they can "make a statement" that differs from others.

I consider Toyota's design different; distinctive but not necessarily youthful and or sporty.

15. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's all about right sizing. Interestingly, the hybrid Camry's MG2 is rated at 105 kW. That's not far from Volt's two-motor config rated at 111 kW.

bwilson4web likes this.
  16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've always wondered about that. I guess it allows more power to be multiplied and sent through MG2 instead of the engine powering the wheels directly? I'm not sure.

The Gen 2 put out about 100.7hp on the dyno (and as low as 92.91hp) and about 103-115lb-ft of torque. 3 runs are at 103-105 lb-ft, the 110 & 115 runs had a spike in torque around 4,350-4,400rpm.

Also, for those that know torque curves, the Gen 2's torque curve is a torque line. It's max torque to the wheels all the way to 5,000rpm (redline for the Gen 2).

The Gen 3's hp on a dyno ranged from 103.93hp to 113.86hp, running about 10-13hp more than the Gen 2 even though it's advertised at 24hp more. (134 net hp vs. 110 net hp).

Toyota claims the Gen 3 runs to 60 in 9.8 secs, half a sec faster than the Gen 2. I've yet to see someone run under 10 secs on the Gen 3. Most are in the 10.3-10.5 range. The Gen 2 runs in the 10.5 to high 10 sec range. It would be nice to see the torque output of the Gen 3 but the PriusChat user (Sorry, I forgot who it was) that posted the dyno only had hp numbers. Interestingly, one of the runs saw a spike in hp after the car hit 80mph. (130km/h). In a Toyota literature, that's when the engine switches into a "power" mode (you'll see your Eco light on the Hybrid System Indicator disappear) and the engine management is now focussed on horsepower delivery rather than mpg.

17. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When climbing the Eisenhower tunnel approach, I'll floor the pedal continuously for about 7 minutes. Vail pass is longer.

18. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

II am thinking the "rumored" reduced max power of 122hp might be due to them changing the way the combined output on paper? Since battery output (nimh) did not change at all, there should be no less battery output either. In current documents on G4, they ofter specify stronger acceleration but they dont specifically say it is faster. There is a diagram there that shows faster acceleration of G4 vs G3 as well.

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Or the Gen 3's hp was overstated and the drop in hp isn't 134hp to 122hp but maybe 125hp to 122hp.

20. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

thats what i meant as well... altough other manufacturers also simply add max battery output to max engine output.

Tideland Prius likes this.