1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Unveils Fuel-saving Technologies for New Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by usbseawolf2000, Oct 25, 2015.

1. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    [​IMG]

Toyota Motor Corp disclosed the details of the fuel saving technologies used for the gasoline engine of the new (fourth-generation) Prius, which it announced in Japan, Oct 13, 2015.

Its maximum thermal efficiency is 40%, which is 1.5 points higher than that of the previous engine (38.5%). The efficiency is as high as that of diesel engines and considered to be the world's highest as the efficiency of an gasoline engine for a mass-produced vehicle.

To increase thermal efficiency, Toyota improved fuel efficiency first. The new Prius is a hybrid vehicle (HEV), and, therefore, drives its engine in a high (efficient) torque range. However, this is also a high-load range in which combustion temperature tends to be high and fuel is self-ignited, causing knocking (abnormal combustion).

To solve this problem, an exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system is used to lower the temperature of part of exhaust gas, and, then, the gas is sent to the combustion chamber. Toyota increased the amount of the input exhaust gas by 150% to prevent knocking.

On the other hand, when the amount of input exhaust gas is increased, combustion speed is decreased, lowering thermal efficiency. To prevent this, Toyota formed a "high tumble suction port." The company changed the shape of the suction port from a curved shape to a linear shape and reduced the diameter of the port in the aim of increasing the flow velocity of air-fuel mixture and enabling to make stronger (more) tumble flows in the cylinder.

Specifically, Toyota increased the number of tumble flows made for each cycle by 250%. The inflow resistance increased due to the higher flow velocity was reduced by employing the linear suction port.

Toyota also reduced the mechanical loss of the entire gasoline engine by 14%. First, its frictional resistance was reduced by using a sliding bearing covered with a low-friction-coefficient resin film for the sliding part of the crankshaft.

Moreover, the company employed a conical coil spring, instead of a cylindrical type, for the engine's the valve train (for intake and exhaust) so that the diameter of the spring becomes smaller at its upper part, which moves more than the lower part. As a result, the mechanical loss of the moving part was reduced.

Furthermore, Toyota smoothed the sliding part of the piston. It applied microdimple treatment to form small concavities that retain engine oil. Compared with a conventional piston with a streak pattern, the frictional resistance of the new piston's sliding part is smaller. The company used a low-viscosity engine oil.

To prevent knocking and reduce frictional resistance at the same time, a water jacket spacer equipped with "Expad" is used. It is a plate that is installed in a water jacket formed outside the cylinder block to control the flow of cooling water.

It leads cooling water fed by a water pump to the upper part of the bore. By cooling the upper part of the bore, combustion temperature is lowered, prevening knocking.

On the other hand, the temperature of the middle and lower part of the bore is kept at a constant level. For this purpose, a heat-resistant foam elastomer called Expad was inserted between the plate and a part in contact with the cylinder. It functions as a heat insulator and keeps the temperature of the sliding part in which the piston moves. As a result, the viscosity of engine oil can be reduced, lowering frictional resistance.

Toyota Unveils Fuel-saving Technologies for New Prius (1) - Nikkei Technology Online

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow.
    Sounds like a lot of significant changes at the very heart of the vehicle...the engine.

I suppose my only concern would be wondering how many of these changes have been road tested over a long period of time in other formats or vehicles? In other words, being such a new engine, embracing so many changes, how reliable may it be or not be over a long period of time?

But I'm not seeding the clouds for problems. It really sounds like Toyota pushed the envelope in trying to improve the engine. Hopefully they got it right. Glad to see the groundbreaking. It's better than standing still.

3. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    One of the virtues of Atkinson cycle, assume this could not be possible with standard Otto cycle without dramatically increasing pumping losses.

usbseawolf2000 likes this.
  4. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The intake manifold is composite (high density polymer) (not magnesium or aluminum. Pretty common in engines now.

Why does it still have a crank pulley? Doesn't drive anything.

5. HGS

HGS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Perhaps this engine is going to be used in other applications. My 2013 Prius has a pulley that's not used for anything.

6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    And if so, it might be calculated weight for harmonic balancing.

HGS likes this.
  7. dandeman

dandeman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Agree most likely IS a harmonic balancer.. Most folks don't know how critical this can be to the life of the crankshaft. e.g. to damp torsional resonances in the crankshaft that can occur at certain engine speeds.

8. TCW1184

TCW1184 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting. I can't stand a knocking engine. Hopefully Toyota gets that right.

iPad ?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when my engine knocks, i let it in. problem solved.

10. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I was wondering the same thing.

11. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Balance?

12. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    As posted above, it's a harmonic balancer. To make a different one for the Prius is just silly. The same engine design is used in many other Toyota models, so they just reached into the parts bins and grabbed the one they already make. It just happens to have a pulley on it. If it ever got too tight in the engine compartment for that pulley, I suppose they would have to remove it, requiring them to stock one more part. But for now, it's more efficient to use the same part on many models engines.

13. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As David says 1.8 engine is used in Corollas and Scions. I'll bet the part # is the same as in other applications.

14. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I should have remembered that's what a pulley that doesn't "pull" anything was for. I'm almost 60. sigh.

Not all engines have had harmonic balancers.
    The D15Z1 engine in both of my 92 Honda Civic VXs had only a pulley - no harmonic balancer. Later models included the balancer. My second Civic VX made it to 238K miles without a balancer incorporated within it. It was solid metal - no rubber isolator or "fluid filling".

I know this because I had a special method of removing the pulley from the crankshaft when replacing the timing belts. Honda had an SST that you could buy/rent to hold this crank pulley while loosening the bolt. I made my own special service tool.

upload_2015-10-26_19-25-53.png

15. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Gen3 ICE had the same. Chief engineer said the same.

16. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks again for the custom PIDs for the Gen 2, usbseawolf2000.

Just installed Torque on another android phone with a larger screen and faster processor. Now Torque
    loads and exits much more quickly.

usbseawolf2000 likes this.
  17. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    So, with all this friction reduction, what happens when the fourth gen descends a mountain pass? "B" is not going to be as effective (it was not enough in GII or GIII already). Are we going to smoke the brakes? The battery gets "fully charged" and regen. quits after one to two km.

Something to wonder about. I wonder if Toyota have tested it?

18. MrBillTulsa

MrBillTulsa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    (Briefly Stated)
    Selecting "B" on the shift lever does not rely on engine friction to invoke deceleration. Engine braking in "B" utilizes pumping losses of the ICE whereby the excess momentum of the mass of the vehicle is driven into the ICE without fuel for combustion. Forcing engine rotation without fuel, piston movement is slowed by the compression and vacuum forces within the cylinder. This braking force is variable by modulating the ratio of ICE RPM to MPH by the CVT.

:eek:

#18 MrBillTulsa, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
    bwilson4web, energyandair and giora like this.
  19. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    plus it is 20% lighter ;)

20. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model: