1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Unveils Fuel-saving Technologies for New Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by usbseawolf2000, Oct 25, 2015.

1. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I have changed below the values I have added in post #93 to the correct values per the source below (page 6).
    My original numbers (73 and 115) were from memory as I couldn't find the source! Sorry for this.

96554_Lower_Engine_Speed.png
    The same source (reporting the press conference held in Japan) reports (page 3) engine compression ratio of 13.1 as compared to 13.0 in Gen 3. Not a big difference that may have resulted from changes in piston surface to enhance burning rate?

Source

2. Pale Fox

Pale Fox New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Side note: The Prius Gen4 "Eco" weights less than 1310 kg (I think
    ken1784 mentioned this in one of his postings).

Why is this important?

The Japanese JC08 fuel-economy cycle is performed on a stationary "small chassis dynamometer". You can find a nice schematic picture how the dyno designed for the JC08 cylce works at page page 15 of the regulatory document at
    http://www.eccj.or.jp/top_runner/pdf/tr_passenger_vehicles_dec2011.pdf

In the JC08 cycle all cars are classified in IW categories (IW = Equivalent Inertia Weight) . On page 4 of the former mentioned document you can see that a vehicle like the Prius Gen4 "Eco" with a weight of exact 1,310kg has an "equivalend inertia weight" of 1,360kg. A car with a total weight of just 1kg more, like 1311kg, has an "equivalent inertia weight" of 1,470kg.

The fuel-economy test cylce JC08 is performed on a dyno where a flyweel simulates the car inertia weight (the force of accelerating or decelerating the car) on the "stationary dyno". The energy to accelerate a car is direct proportional to its weight. The dyno run with an "equivalent inertia weight" of 1,470kg uses roughly about 8% more energy during acceleration and deceleration compared to a dyno run with an "equivalent inertia weight" of 1,360kg (1470/1360 = 1,08 = 108% = 8% more).

So for a car with the weight of just 1,310kg there is a small advantage over a car with just a few kilos more. It uses less energy to "speed up" and "slow down" on the stationary dyno run, resulting in a slighty better fuel economy number when run on a dyno specified for the JC08 cycle.

This is just a tiny detail, but in my opinion worth mentioning. The goal of a fuel economy of 40km/l (equals to 94 mpg) messured using the JC08 cycle might only be met by the Prius Gen4 "Eco" model.

Best regards,
    Pale Fox

3. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    This was already discussed briefly in another thread, thank you for the detailed explanation and link.
    BTW Toyota did that in Gen 3 as well - the L model for Japan weigh also 1310 kg and achieves 23.6 km/l on JC08 while the other models weigh 1350 kg with 30.4 km/l on same cycle.

#103 giora, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
    Pale Fox likes this.
  4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So the non-Eco model's fuel efficiency is understated?

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Or the ECO model's improved mpg rating is due in large part to it's lower weight, putting it in a more favourable test category. Seems pretty cynical. :(

6. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

it is combination of both, JC08 is stupidly unrealistic, nobody is going to get 95mpg nor they got 80 mpg before... we know its gonna be 10% improvement on more realistic epa cycle, so we already know those numbers.

austingreen likes this.
  7. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    We also know it is going to be ~18% improvement on (unrealistic) NEDC cycle...

8. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Like every other car which weighs below the middle weight of its category...

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This testing varying of testing regimen varying by weight category, it doesn't apply in North America?

10. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I -think- when either the GII or GIII is above the "engine stop speed", but the HSD wants to turn the engine to limit MG1 RPMs, it does so with the throttle closed and no fuel injected. This minimizes pumping losses. Yup, some loss is still there, but it's minimized. BUT, in "B", the throttle is opened (with no fuel), to -maximize- pumping losses. At least, that's what I would do if I were the engineer(s). ;)

This has implications for the EGR problems the GIII has. If the engine is running without fuel, any oil that finds its way into the combustion chamber (there is always some) will NOT be burned. Instead it goes out the exhaust port. Some will find its way into the EGR path, partially burning there when the engine gets hot enough, as well as combining with the crud already there. What a surprise the EGR tube gets plugged up! This also implies there is no "problem" to be fixed. It is expected. Some form of design change -might- be possible to reduce this issue. I wonder if the new engine EGR design was changed to reduce this as well as improve the EGR functioning.

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The EGR issue is actually bugging the hell out of me; I kinda hate inevitable disasters. The latest victim posting, with a bit over 200,000 miles on odometer, finally extracted the component right at the exhaust manifold, draining the coolant in the process, and THEN he can't clean it. It's so fully clogged and baked in, he's electing to replace the component with a salvage part that's in better shape.

Not just another p0401.. PICS! | PriusChat

Cagey Toyota, from the Canadian warranty:

Emission components covered against defect for 36 months 60,000 km or
    24 months 40,000 km for performance

EXHAUST GAS RECIRCULAT ION ( EGR ) SYSTEM

• EGR Valve
    • EGR Gas Temperature Sensor
    • Associated Parts

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well there is the '1,000 mile on one tank' club. <grins>

Bob Wilson

Pale Fox likes this.
  13. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

even better, from Autobild test drive together with Mirai, we know it is going to get 3.1l/100km on NEDC (vs 3.9l for regular model before), as well as be around €30k which is more than before in Europe, but with more equipment standard (again in Europe, for instance Safety Sense P).

14. chinna

chinna Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Despite increased EGR percentage in Gen 4, I think it will be lesser issue than Gen 3(assuming all other things equal). Mainly the reason is, engine is shutting down completely during deceleration in Gen 4 even at higher speeds. So, unlike Gen 3, no exhaust gasses are recirculated back into cylinder when there is no fuel injected(when there is no ignition) because engine is not rotating when decelerating(Except in "B" mode). So lesser of chance of unburnt oil mixed air is sent to EGR valve. Of course usual soot will still be there, but less of this oil residue, reduces chances of choking early.

15. HGS

HGS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What about the minority of long distance drivers that are putting up to 100,000 miles/year on their Prius'. I've heard of some owners going 300,000 miles in 3 to 5 years without major maintenance issues. Does long distance highway driving not coke up the EGR the way more typical driving could?

16. HGS

HGS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How much does a new EGR cost? Are there any after market suppliers (China?) making this part?

17. chinna

chinna Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Generally idle control valve is open even when decelerating. Not only that, there is always overlap in valve timing, esp Atkinson cycle. So it is going to suck decent amount of air, at least as much as idle speed, probably more if RPM is more. Only way to reduce pumping losses is to very minimal, completely close both intake and exhaust valves. This can be achieved by Valve control system like BMW Valvetronics (which does not need throttle plate all, only there as fail safe), or Honda cylinder deactivation mechanism, or possibly Toyota CVVLT(Corolla Eco uses this).

Honda Mechanism still needs throttle plate (as it is currently implemented in 2015 vehicles, not sure about 2016), as it is much simpler/cheaper deactivation mechanism(simple pin slide mechanism to lock rocker arm).

#117 chinna, Nov 5, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    HGS likes this.
  19. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well I for one would not be unhappy if the EGR took its feed AFTER the catalytic converter. The reduced 'load' would improve EGR valve life more than enough to pay for the extra pipe.

Bob Wilson

20. HGS

HGS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. So if I need to replace all these parts at the 200,000 mile mark, it works out to about 14 cents a gallon of fuel. I don't want to spend $600 and several hours replacing the EGR system, but now every time I fill up I will be thinking about that increased cost of ownership.

That 200,000 mile mark is a guess, it could be sooner.