1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Toyota Update // RAV4 Prime, RAV4 Hybrid, Venza, Sales and more

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Marine Ray, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Marine Ray

Marine Ray Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Just published and very informative 10 min video with VP, Toyota Canada about "electrified" Toyota cars. Couple take aways for me - (1) Toyota goal of 40% electrified Toyota vehicles by 2025 and (2) important battery chemistry changes around the corner. PP mentioned at 2:48 mark.

#1 Marine Ray, Jul 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is this the anti bev guy?

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Toyota is making a serious effort to phaseout traditional vehicles. Any automaker can rollout token vehicles to exploit tax-credits and garnish praise. That does virtually nothing to actually change the status quo, even if it does provide a BEV model. So, taking a stance out of context isn't helping anyone. In fact, it can be counter-productive as an enabler.

That target of 40% electrification for 2025 is looking realistic. It sets the stage for easy transition to plug-in offerings. The resistance we are seeing from dealers now will fade away as they witness firsthand how well the first phase went. Key to that is making the choice of hybrid effortless. With Sienna & Venza, that strategy is undeniable, since they will be hybrid only. With RAV4, sales in June reached a tipping point... a tiny bit over 50% were hybrid. As the spread continues across the fleet, the sustainability becomes undeniable.

Far too often, we see impatience blind people from logic. The economics of change is challenging. Taking a bottom-up approach, as Toyota continues to do, makes it easy to draw incorrect conclusions. Think about battery supply. The unexpected surge in popularity for RAV4 hybrid was met without any recognition. So what if that cause a ramp-up of RAV4 Prime to take longer? It was an opportunity for Toyota to take advantage of... so they did.

In other words, stop with the label attempts. Otherwise, posts with clarification will continue to be posted. It serves no purpose to single out a person anyway. The bigger picture involves worldwide production & distribution for a very wide variety of vehicles. No amount of cherry-picking will change that.

Prashanta and Marine Ray like this.
  4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This sounds like a better direction:
    The common problem are Southeast Toyota Region and Gulf Coast Region. Their past practices raise serious doubts that they will join the party. I wish it were otherwise but I live in Southeast Toyota Region.

BTW, I was reading about the latest TSS-P (called something else now.) If it had been available in 2016 in the ECO Prius, I might not have gotten the BMW i3-REx. Now I know too much.

Bob Wilson

austingreen likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just wondering if he's the anti bev guy or not. i think words speak for themselves

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Remember what Toyota calls "electrfied" cars. They did a series of commercials telling their audience, "our electric cars are self charging". The more honest description - translating the Toyota doublespeak would be calling a hybridized gasser - a hybrid. Bottom line - No gas in a hybrid, means no electricity for its electric motor(s) . Deciphering the 40% electrified fleet - most likely means 40% hybrids sometime down the road.

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    hill and Marine Ray like this.
  8. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    And TSS 2.5 has been announced in the coming Camry.

I buy outside of the SET region for reasons of economy, I save money and get better delivery times and no hassle. But only if local dealers are offering the same vehicle as that way I can get service here.

bwilson4web likes this.
  9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'll wait for TSSP-2.5 to show up at the SouthEast Toyota Region, Bill Penny Toyota before going to visit them ... in my Tesla Model 3 with AutoPilot and FSD.

Bob Wilson

hill likes this.
  10. Prashanta

Prashanta Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    Is Bisco the anti Toyota guy?

See, it's easy to label someone but it's not particularly useful.

john1701a likes this.
  11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    might be a hard label to stick - being an owner & all

bisco and bwilson4web like this.
  12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The problem is, you didn't post any. You're that guy who never includes the text he is commenting about. No only is that poor forum etiquette, it contributes to misleading. People simply have no idea what you are referring to. So, I called you out... again. Please start including quotes.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    too much trouble to go back and find who said what. it was just a vague memory.

i didn't realize how offensive it would be to some.

please direct me to the priuschat etiquette rules, i will read and observe.

Trollbait likes this.
  14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The OP posted a video, not text. Now I wouldn't have necessarily listen to the video but for the fact - it sounds like the Toyota guy must have something important to say? Around 7 minutes into the video, after being asked the question in so many words, (there IS no text to quote) why can't Toyotas get more EV's range (seemingly in reference - even to the longer range RAV4 plug-in).
    Rather than simply say what Toyota has already said .... namely Toyota didn't anticipate demands regarding available battery inventories ... (even though many manufacturers are already delivering all electrics, not to mention Tesla having already sold over 1 million Electrics) - instead, the head toyota-honcho went on about Toyota re-establishing relationships with Panasonic (well ya, of course they had to re-establish because they tossed them aside pretty much - even as other manufacturers were ordering up) then the Toyota head switches it up - saying in essence well you know it looks like in a couple years there will be new battery chemistry's blah blah blah, down the road so yeah, that's another reason we don't want to buy into today's chemistry's.
    That line of excuse doesn't really fly. On the one hand, Toyota wants to say we want to be cautious when it comes to Electrics. On the other hand Toyota wants to say we want to get that newest latest and greatest that might be just around the corner in a few years (I think the Toyota guy is anticipating between 2 to 4 years).
    So - yeah he does seem like an anti BEV guy ... but if you are the mouthpiece for Toyota, and Toyota has been anti Bev for quite some time, what more would you expect. It's PLENTY clear when our members ask, "isn't he anti Bev?" Nothing wrong with making 40% or even 100% of a manufacturer's Fleet all hybrids - if they think that's going to work "best". Economically, with more moving parts to break? It certainly will keep the service centers profitable to include the ICE in every purchase. Keeps the gas stations raking in the dough also, as well as the smog check stations and a whole bunch of other Industries. The Toyota mouthpiece doesn't have to say it, or put it in writing.

#14 hill, Jul 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    bisco likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks for the synopsis. i don't usually watch video's, it takes way too much time to get to a nugget or two that you can scan a written article for in a few minutes.