1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Updating Prius On-Screen Display Interface

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by benbethel, Jul 8, 2004.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Considering the lengths some folks go to, to get the maximum possible mpg or distance on a tank, I'm not so sure of that.

2. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Indeed... don't you think those corporate lawyers might want the car to have some way to indicate "upshift now" when it doesn't include a tach? Unless you think they'd enjoy the idea of the engine being ruined and the manufacturer being dragged to court because they didn't provide any sort way to tell.

3. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The few cars I've driven that had upshift indicators wanted a shift way too soon. The engine would be barely above lugging and have no power if I shifted when the light went on.

4. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You wouldn't think that talking on a cellphone would be a distraction either, but I see drivers all the time with this blank stare while they hold their phone with one hand and steer with the other one.

Lets assume that a graphic display could be designed so that a driver would only have to glance at it, or better yet, see it with their peripheral vision. There is still one basic problem, I don't think that such a system could work because of a lack of data.

There are many variables that would be necessary to determine the instantaneous fuel consumption of a vehicle. Unfortunately, not all of these are monitored by the Prius. It does monitor vehicle speed, fuel flow, temperature, air density, ICE/MG1/MG2 RPMs, MG1/MG2 power flow, battery charge, and probably a few others. But how about some of the other factors like tire pressure, relative wind speed and direction, road grade and condition, and gross vehicle weight?

5. plusaf

plusaf plusaf

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    engine monitors and upshift indicators....

amen! you've already got an indicator in the car to tell you what to do to keep your gas mileage high at any speed.... it's the instantaneous mpg indicator bar on the right side of that screen. it'll tell you, for whatever speed you're going, whether you're killing your mpg's or enhancing them.

the upshift lights were also put in to help people get anywhere within a few miles of the EPA ratings for their cars, since shifting at lower rpms usually boosts gas mileage and revving the whee out of the engine doesn't. corvette came (comes?) with a gizmo that nudges the floor shift into something like fourth gear on the 6-speed when you shift it out of first at certain speeds and throttle openings. same deal: upshift further and sooner and you get better mpgs. most corvette drivers seek out ways to defeat that little puppy asap.

in the drive-by-wire Prius, so little of the power train is under your direct control (how about: none of it), that all these gimmicks seem to me to be more of a safety hazard and distraction than a benefit.

and i do agree with all of you: the user interface on the display is one of the worst i've ever seen. i still have not figured out how to enter a destination into saved memory, and i ain't no dummy. the guys who designed the interface know/knew very little about how humans respond to this kind of interface, and what a "logical process flow" would look like for it. you start with the process flow and THEN design the interface FROM THE process flow; it looks to me as if they went the other way, and it really shows.... :pukeright: :pukeright:

6. dvandelay

dvandelay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How is the on-screen interface updated? Is there an automatic way (like Tivo calling in nightly) or would each owner need to go to a dealership? Is there a fee? Has the interface been updated in the past (besides just when a new model is introduced)?

7. InTheWASide

InTheWASide New Member

Ever go to the diagnostic menus? You can see all kinds of crazy crap on em

8. InTheWASide

InTheWASide New Member

When you zoom in to the:

150ft view: LARGE buildings, malls, colleges, hospitals etc can be viewed at an outline

75ft view: (the magnifying glass with a + is replaced with a t shaped intersection button) You can see the outlines of EVERYTHING unless it is new or very recent construction. The house 2 up from my grandma's that has a detached garage behind and to the left of the rest of the property... perfect detail

9. InTheWASide

InTheWASide New Member

Re: Display Improvements

MODE button on your steering wheel is super easy. You can also toggle your 6 presets from the steering wheel

Distance to empty on a guage that to date is completely inaccurate? do not know about that one...

If you set your route guidance with voice directions to the left you will see a small box that tells miles left and time remaining...

10. InTheWASide

InTheWASide New Member

Prob dealership

Most def. a fee unless a recall was in effect

Brian's Nav version is 1 higher than mine and he got his car 3 months later...
    I don't have it in front of me but the difference was like... (THESE NUMBERS ARE EXAMPLES)

2.5.2 vs 2.5.3

11. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My daughter saw my new car for the first time last night. She is a graphic designer. She wants the display totaly redesigned. Does not meet her design standard. She thinks the consumption display looks like "a bad power point presentation" She is going to write Toyota a letter offering her services. Who knows they might listen she already does work for Honda.

12. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Tempus,
    Assuming we're working with the same NAV version, shouldn't we all be able to reproduce your building outlines? Where, specifically, are you seeing them? I would like to see what you see.

13. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You only get them for a few cities. I think Chicago is on the very short list. Olympia is not on the list or Seattle, or Portland or anywhere else I would want to drive to, but then I like rural areas better than any city. Basically 99% of the US area is out. Population wise I have no idea. Detroit is in. Wonder if it shows all the burnt out buildings?

14. hclyatt

hclyatt New Member

Here is a quote from the Navigation Manual, page 58.

It also states that when you zoom into 150 feet and a foot map is available, that the magnifying glass button with the + (zoom in) on it will change to another graphic (looks something like a intersection).

I notice Tempus is in DC, I was wondering if he is seeing the Foot print map in DC. If he is then there must be a newer ver of the DVD that also includes parts of DC. I work near DC and have a month old Prius with a possibly newer version of the Navi DVD so when I get a chance i'll give it a try.

Hank

15. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There is no update for the screen. A dealer told one owner that there would be, but such reports are notoriously unreliable. If there was an update, you'd have to go to the dealer for it. If it's a safety issue or a defect issue, it would be free.

There have been two reprogramming service campaigns, to address software issues, and the updates were free. Owners were notified by mail, so if yours was affected, you'd have gotten a letter. There is also a service campaign to install an additional hood seal on certain cars. Again, youll get a letter if yours is affected. The service is free.

16. InTheWASide

InTheWASide New Member

Don't be so sure Daniel. I called 1-800-GO-TOYOTA a couple times today to find out more about the new fuel gauge TSB and he said "You know, this VIN # also shows yours was eligible for the recall. Did you have that done already?"

Never knew about a recall ("#40" or something like that), never got a letter, never had anything volunteered when I was at the service dept. for something else...

LACK OF A LETTER, DOES NOT MEAN LACK OF AN ADDRESSABLE ISSUE

17. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Now you are talking about the case of a defect that is not considered a safety issue. So if you complain about the "guess" gauge, and if your car is affected, they'll fix it for free. You are right that you have to complain to get the fix.

But the programming SSC notices went out to all affected owners.

And if they decide to change the display for aesthetic reasons, or to provide additional information that customers have said they wanted, this is not a defect. And if it's not a defect there will not be a fix available free to prior customers.

18. macreative

macreative New Member

Please make it prettier

Please please let them update the screen with more beautiful Graphical Displays. The current display, whilst effective, seems conservative kind of, no?

Maybe they can give it a software facelift - like the Aqua/Carbonized icons in Mac OS X :) :)

19. pjm877

pjm877 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I want data, lots of data, not some fancy pantsy GUI.. with beautiful grafts, what we have now is good.. could have more data though..

If I want lots of slow beautiful Graphical Display, I go and use MicroSoft window, and I get bugs, worms, viruses for free ;)

The wish list:
    fuel used
    Est fuel range left on tank
    Avg MPH
    Trip Time

To name a few...

just my $.05 worth

20. macreative

macreative New Member

I simply hope that they make the GUI more like Mac OS X not Microsoft - eww. Just because it is beautiful doesn't mean it has to be slow. C'mon, you must agree - although the display is very effective, it would be nice to have it asthetically pleasing too.