1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota uses open-source software in new approach to in-car tech

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Sooner Al, May 31, 2017.

1. Sooner Al

Sooner Al Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    RCO likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    does this affect consumers in any way? the headline seems deceiving. i'm not smart enough to understand the tech, but it sounds like we're getting screwed again.

3. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure why you think that. To me, it sounds like a step in the right direction to enable smartphone integration into the car and that's no bad thing considering T's feeble efforts to keep up with IT fashion. One thing I notice is the remark at the end, manufacturers like to keep control of the hardware and this, allegedly, proves difficult when using other's proprietary software. Not sure when, if ever it will arrive on the forecourt.

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you just made my case, but perhaps it's because i don't understand linux.:p

RCO likes this.
  5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Instead of giving up control to Apple and Alphabet (Google), this allows Toyota to use Linux-based software (which is open-sourced) and customise it to their own liking. This allows the user (owner) of the vehicle to have something that's familiar and Toyota still retains control over the type of GUI and applications it wants.

Note that Android is based on Linux and essentially it's similar in the sense that HTC and Samsung customise the Android OS to their ecosystem.

6. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Linux is very UNIX-like. I used to work as a UNIX systems administrator. I remember one OS bug that got a lot of administrators mad. After nearly a year, the server would run out of memory and needed to be rebooted. This killed the uptime numbers for those reliable servers.
    I believe Microsoft pushing their early beta quality software everywhere has cause a majority of IT and other computer issues. Unfortunately, they have bought their way into the top market position, much like some other vendors.
    IMHO Microsoft software is nowhere near the quality and reliability needed by enterprises,

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how does any of this gobbledegook help the consumer?

8. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the industry properly licenses the open source software they use, their expenses would be reduced and we would benefit from any modifications they make to the open source software.

Unfortunately, what usually happens is they pirate the open source software and do not release the changes to others, violating the license agreements.

bwilson4web likes this.
  9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It could reduce the cost of the systems in the cars. Multiple car companies are involved in this. Sharing one source makes it easier for them and their part suppliers to build systems to their liking. UNIX underpins the phone operating systems, so compatiability should be better.

But, "Toyota aims to have the flexibility to customise its software, while it would also keep user data that could otherwise be captured by CarPlay from Apple Inc or Android Auto from Alphabet Inc's Google." This means its more about what is good for the car company than what is good for the customer.

edit: I have no power over the cost of these systems. Full disclosure, I don't even own a car with such a system. My friends were shocked when I got a smart phone. Which was after I got the newest car.

#9 Trollbait, Jun 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    bisco likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's what i thought.