1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota voiding warranty for changing wheels/tires!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by AF-Vette, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Econ

Econ Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    First, $60 is a fair price to pay to have them install four tires on new rims along with the TPIs. Remember that the dealer will be responsible for any damage to the rims and tires. It also would be about the same cost as a season exchange from summer to winter tires which includes balancing. ( that is what I pay at Lexus service.) It is easy to damage rims and perhaps the bead of the new tires. $60 is fair and some peace of mind. If the bead leaks for fail the is the installers problem. etc.

Second: I don't think the warranty would be void because you install the exact specs on both the new rims and tires as used by the manufacture. Make sure that the static measurements are exactly as used by Toyota. Other than that, it is like you changing your oil and filter?

2. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm guessing the only warranty voided would be on the TPMS sensors if they didn't replace the tires. I had one break on a Ford, but fortunately it broke while they were changing and pitting on snow tires for me during a service visit.

3. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sorry I didn't see your post. Hopefully you are already enjoying a 2010. I don't have snow tires yet but will be getting them soon. Last search I did it appearded it's not a difficult size to find, but they will be a little pricy. I have a third car that is coming off lease and if I buy it I may just drive it this winter and park the Prius. It's a 4x4 so I've been putting off the snow tires.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This may have been the problem. The service manual has a rather involved process for registering TPS sensors. I suspect the problem was the 3d party TPS system.

Bob Wilson

5. tam85

tam85 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    I
    can you change size of a car tire? how? to be honest, i want to change my tire size to increased performance and have a new look. i want to use wider tires to put more rubber on the road but i dont know how. thanks in advance.

6. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Call tirerack and give them your credit card #, very easy to do.

7. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's basically what the law says, but in reality that is only true if you believe the court system is infallible.

If you don't agree with the dealer what the dealer deems, then you can go up the Toyota food chain, or go to arbitration or courts to make your case. At the go to court level, money and luck have an awful lot to do with the outcome.

In the exact topic at hand, substituting another brand tire and wheel of the same size, it is highly unlikely that even the most boneheaded dealer would try to use the tires and wheels as an excuse. But, lets not give people the impression the MM is a guarantee of results.