1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Will Offer a Plug-In Hybrid Vehicle by 2010

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jkash, Jan 13, 2008.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    yes, A/C is an option

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you've gotten some bad information. While the Insight sold in the US before the Prius, the Prius was the first commercially manufactured hybrid, as John pointed out, by a solid 2 years. Further, their design is much different than the Honda hybrid design and is, indeed, quite innovative.
    While all big companies run the chance of falling off their pace and allowing others to catch up, I'm not convinced that there is any evidence that this is happening to Toyota. They continue to refine their transaxle design, software functionality, reduce the size of the electric motors and the size and efficiency of their inverters is all well ahead of any competition.

I think the future will be a lot of fun, very interesting, and ultimately to the benefit of all of us as the competition sharpens. But I certainly wouldn't start digging the hole for Toyota any time soon.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Also, Honda only sold the Insight in a handfull of states, very limited production ... which is expected, when you only build a 2 seater. Moot, anyway, as it has gon by the wayside.

4. fruzzetti

fruzzetti Customization-Obsessed

California (Pulled over 6x, ticketed 2x for tint)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd like to stress your very important point just a bit more, if that's ok.

In marketing-ese, the word could means don't. So when GM says it could have a working lipo battery for the car by whenever, they mean they don't have a working lipo battery.

Second,

Isn't this one of the definitions of innovation? What did Edison really invent? Not much. What did Edison improve upon? Almost everything his company ever touched.

And you must really understand the central tenet of Japanese engineering to see the difference between what I think you're calling "innovation" and what really makes innovation. American style innovation relies upon "next-generation" concept stuff. To use (I think) Michael Chrichton's analogy (which is elegant and fitting), American engineers swing as hard as they can every time, hoping for a home run (and occasionally they hit one); Japanese engineers are content with base-hit after base-hit, slowly improving upon a good starting point until it's matured and ready without the desperate attempt to leapfrog anything.

It really is part cultural.

~ dan ~

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    so true so true.

edison did not invent the light bulb, he only made one that would last longer than a few days...