1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Will Replace Engine Control Module

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by priusrust, Jan 9, 2021.

1. priusrust

priusrust Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    stumbled across this thread. I've been doing a deep dive into Toyota 'customer service campaigns'. Toyota will replace gen 2 prius engine control module before 12/1/21 if you vehicle has under 150K miles. Amazingly, my 2004 is still eligible. They will replace if faulty- no preemptively replacing a functioning one. Since this is a computer- my question would be what are the symptoms of failure?? My ::guess:: is that it could appear to be unrelated issues. In other words, bad computer was erroneously telling you you had actuator problem.... BUT, I really don't know -just ill-informed speculation.

2. priusrust

priusrust Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Attached Files:

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That particular CSP came about as a settlement of this lawsuit.

In essence, a bunch of plaintiffs came together and said "you Toyota idiots built a bunch of cars that go nuts and unintendedly accelerate, we're sure it's your fault, an obvious unmistakable defect in, let's see, hmm, maybe the cruise control switch or the accelerator pedal or the stop lamp switch or the throttle body or the ECM, you incompetents, you!" And Toyota said "nuh uh." And both sides said "why don't we just settle this instead of doing the whole evidence-in-a-court thing and finding out who's actually right."

So that case ended without anybody ever proving that there is or isn't anything actually wrong with the cruise control switch or the accelerator pedal or the stop lamp switch or the throttle body or the ECM, but just Toyota's lawyers saying "fine, we promise to replace anybody's cruise control switch or accelerator pedal or stop lamp switch or throttle body or ECM if it ever conks out because of a defect we're not saying it has."

That probably means there's not much way at all of finding out in advance whether your thing does or doesn't have such a never-really-specified defect.

priusrust likes this.
  4. priusrust

priusrust Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good info, thanks. Yeh, I'm amazed that my ECM would be covered (16 year old vehicle) --snuck under gate with low miles. The brake actuator is another story. There IS an internal problem with it (internal seal breach leads to early death)- they had a service campaign that expired in 2017. Unfortunately, mine just died- the "Toyota customer experience center" suggested Toyota Corporate might extend the service campaign date for me- no dice (did not have high hopes). Toyota wants $2,806 to install a new actuator. Having it towed elsewhere.