1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota working on improved Prius Plug-in as part of the next generation Prius platform

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Electric Charge, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Scorpion

Scorpion Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  2. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I actually thought it was a brilliant idea...and actually told Reed Hastings so, at a DVD conference back before DVDs launched...I was working on DVD software back then.

Ha. It is my opinion as I've said many times. And how do you provide evidence for the future?

Here's a prediction...In 5 years there will be zero public wireless charger except maybe a handful of demonstration installations. In 10 years there will be no more than one dry cleaner with a wireless charger.

Mike

3. Scorpion

Scorpion Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What's funny here is that 10 years ago....even 5 years ago......there were many, many people - even EV enthusiasts - who would say the exact same thing about the possibility of a Model S or Supercharger network existing in 2013.

They were equally bold in online forums..... anyone who mentioned a potential Model S/Supercharger -which you so roundly endorse as 'the future'- would have been shot down in flames.

Anyhow, I clearly said I envision wireless charging taking off post-2025. That's just my best guess based on reading about technical advancements today, and extrapolating from there, giving time for commercialization.

4. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In 10-12 years 100-200 mile batteries will be cheap enough that new car buyers won't need the idea of getting an extra mile or two when they make a quick stop to get them to buy, IMO.

Mike