1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota's Business Plan Requires Additional 89,300 Deaths in US

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by PriusCamper, Jun 8, 2023.

1. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "Health Benefits of Zero-Emission Cars and Electricity report states that by 2050, there could be 89,300 fewer premature deaths and 2.2 million fewer asthma attacks, resulting in 10.7 million fewer lost workdays."

From: Move to electric vehicles could save nearly 90,000 lives in US by 2050, study says
    Move to electric vehicles could save nearly 90,000 lives in US by 2050, study says - EHN

donbright likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and would help reduce forest fires eventually

PriusCamper likes this.
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota is pro-wildfire air pollution because it helps them prove that hybrid cars don't pollute as much as other stuff...

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Brought to you by the good folks at:
    Nissan.

AND to think, some say you can't "trust the $cience" ;)

5. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sorry but I view the OP in this instance much the same as a rabble-rouser like most politically oriented posts are these days. Nowhere does the study look at the gradual incremental lowering of deaths resulting from a switch from gas guzzling vehicles less polluting hybrid fleets. Toyota's business plan is nowhere referred to in the study, subsequent article OR the OP. Where does it come from then, that Toyota is REQUIRING an additional 89,300 deaths? Additional deaths from fully hybrid fleets logically will be more than all-electric fleets but I would venture a guess that it's a lot less than the number cited which studied based on fully ICE vehicles.

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're supposed to look at the headlines!!!

---NOT examine the data.

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    From about 2005, I remember seeing a set of charts from Toyota from the 1990s that discussed:
    • high efficiency engines - too difficult to always run efficiently
    • hybrids - efficient engine with small buffer battery
    • battery powered vehicles - too expensive in 1990s
    My understanding at the time was these charts led to the Prius project. In the 1990s, it was the right decision. But the charts were never updated. I don't remember those charts discussing hydrogen.

Every company deserves the freedom to choose their future direction. Just as every potential customer deserves the freedom to buy the products they want. As Deming said, "It's not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory."

There are situations where electricity cost and charger availability makes a plug-in hybrid a better answer. So In 2016, I bought a BMW i3-REx which nicely bypassed the worst of the CCS-1 world. At one time, I wondered if CCS-1 was a trick to sell more gas cars. But I've always known ignorance and cruelty often look exactly the same ... a toddler pulling the wings off a butterfly.

Just I hate to see deliberately misleading and false claims like Jeremy Clarkson said about our Prius and their Tesla stunt. Rowan Atkinson is just the latest example but he has plenty of company.

Bob Wilson