1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyotas failure

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by andyprius, Aug 12, 2010.

1. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The following is from the repair manual (bold/italics mine):

When the auxiliary battery is replaced or the cable is disconnected from its negative (-) battery terminal, the ISC (Idle Speed Control) learning value will be initialized and symptoms as a noise from the hybrid vehicle transaxle assembly may occur until ISC learning is performed.

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks, that seems to explain what I observed.

3. mainerinexile

mainerinexile No longer in exile!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What if there are two regular drivers of a Prius? My wife and I drive very differently (e.g. she hotdogs to red lights, I coast in; she gets 45 mpg, I get 55). Are we creating a schizophrenic Prius computer?!?!

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Good question and I think the answer is a big no. The car adapts to things such as altitude, temperature, octane of the fuel, etc. It adjusts ignition timing, fuel mixture, injector timing and a few other parameters.

It doesn't even know about the difference in drivers and couldn't adjust for that anyway. All drivers will occasionally need full throttle, all drivers will drive on the freeway, and all drivers will chug around town. The car needs to be ready to meet the demands of any driver at any time to the best of its ability rather that be maximum acceleration to enter the freeway or going for maximum mileage.

5. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    tumbleweed gave an accurate answer. However, (humor only), you might be onto the true cause of all the unintended acceleration events......