1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota's long term sucess with prius will be short lived.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by jeremy wayne wilson, May 16, 2008.

1. jeremy wayne wilson

jeremy wayne wilson New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    All I was stressing is I thought the prius would be worthless when gasoline prices go high enough that even driving a prius would cost the same as driving a big suv in total cost.
    like 10 bucks a gallon in 2010 and you spend 130 bucks to fill it up and probably spend about 400 a month. Toyota knows the ev is the way of the future and will make them for us. I know the prius fits the bill right now on savings, its just the savings wont last when gas doubles in price and it is rising every day and will never drop below 4 bucks again, them days are long gone. Emerging markets in China and India will see to increased demand and super high prices from now on. Fun Fact: Drilling in Anwar off Alaska, guess what the US is in contract obligation to Japan to sell all oil from that region thats why they really dont want to drill there. There is nothing in it for the people in the USA. We are in Debt to Communist China for our stimulus checks and the war in Iraq. WE Owe China 3 Trillion to Date. How very depressing. I just hope we can get off oil completely with our cars, no matter how much you love your Prius, its just makes things even harder to depart from big oil. Depression of our Economy is coming soon.

2. Son of Gloin

Son of Gloin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    maybe it's the "new math" or something, but the following is what i come up with ...

cost of new Prius / Pkg 3 ... approx. $27,500 ... including taxes-n-such
    cost of "big suv" ... approx. $34,000 ... NOT including taxes-n-such

Gals of gas to drive 15,000 miles / yr for a Prius @ 46 mpg ... 325
    Gals of gas to drive 15,000 miles / yr in "big suv" @ 27 mpg ... 555

Annual cost at $10/gal ... Prius ... $3,250
    Annual cost at $10/gal ... "big suv" ... $5,550

Edit Follows ... an additional and purely hypothetical (???) thought ....

Trade-in value of Prius after 3 years / 45,000 miles / gas @ $10 per gallon ... $20,400
    ( VERY likely .... )
    Trade-in value of "big suv" after 3 years / 45,000 miles / gas @ $10 per gallon ... $11,333
    ( IF "you're" lucky .... )

... sooo ... my question is this: WHEN is it / HOW is it that the Prius is going to "cost the same as driving a big suv in total cost"?????

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hi Jeremy,
    Chill out my friend, these are just the ordinary challenges we face everyday. Buck up your courage and turn your intellect on to figuring out how to find your safe path to the future.

There is a story about a couple of boys over in Jackson County who saved enough money to go on a lion hunt in Africa. On their very first hunt, they had a little GI problem and had to duck behind some bushes to relieve themselves. Just at that moment, a lion jumped out and started chasing them as they were trying to pull up their pants.

One boy turned to the other and said, "Why are we running so hard? Man can not out run a lion."

The other said, "I'm just out running you."

So think of it this way, the Prius owners are just out running you.

Bob Wilson

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well said Bob, very well said.

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Guess what? Under NAFTA Canada is actually obligated to sell oil to the US no matter what, even if that incurs steep taxpayer funded losses for Canada

Maude Barlow, U.S tops up with Canadian Oil

NRDC Press Archive: New Report Finds U.S. Demand for Canadian Oil and Gas Is Destroying Canadian Environment

Hence the enormous subsidies run through Crown Corporations, that are fully exempt from audit, reporting, disclosure, etc.

Misdirected spending: Groups demand investigation into billions in federal subsidies to Canada's booming oil and gas industry — Ecojustice Canada

The Catholic Register - Big Oil gets big subsidies

I fail to understand why Canadian taxpayers are subsidizing YOUR energy needs. Obama hinted at tearing up NAFTA, I say good, let him. Break Canada out of that Draconian thing and let us freely sell our resources on the world market, at top dollar, not at subsidized bargain-basement pricing