1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Toyota's next EV is...the Aygo?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by telmo744, Oct 12, 2016.

1. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    New Toyota Aygo to become standalone electric car? | Auto Express

(...) Toyota’s European President & CEO Johan van Zyl has suggested that while his company is targeting hybrid vehicles in every area of the market where it is present, the smallest class of car - the A-segment where the Aygo competes - could require a different solution.

Very well!

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm interesting. Toyota is still sitting with the "EV = city car" mentality.

3. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It may be a hard task, to build a low priced EV. Very difficult, indeed.
    I strongly believe there is a market for these small cars, because of air quality issues, but tag price is detrimental.
    Up to now Toyota came up with some miracles [first hybrid, first FCV] this one is just another one, making a affordable BEV.

RCO likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    after seeing prime pricing, it might not be so difficult, if decent tax incentives are in place.

RCO likes this.
  5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    thankyou - for reminding Toyota why THIS puny range'ed micro POS was such a fail;

[​IMG]

Toyota seemed to understand at one time, that the lower the range, the lower the sales volume. So true, that Toyota realized they could only unload these rollerskates as leased cars. Maybe they work in japan - but not in the US. I snapped this shot at our local train station. The local University just 5 or 6 miles away probably got the entire fleet of them before they were discontinued. And I can't figure why this vehicle isn't simply just called the Scion that the Aygo pretty much is.

#5 hill, Oct 13, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Well, they are in Japan and more focused on that market, and from what I learned about Japanese home electric supplies with the Prime, many there might be able to take advantage of a longer range BEV because of charging issues.

In Europe, ICE cars could end up banned from some city sections. The less than 50 miles range of the eQ isn't enough, but the small size is better for the narrower streets and parking.
    The Spark EV has been out for a few years already, and starts at $26k, including delivery, with a range of 82 miles.

Jeff N and Tideland Prius like this.
  7. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Production of the Scion iQ EV (Toyota eQ in Japan) was to be limited to 100 units for special fleet use in Japan and carsharing demonstration projects in the U.S.[7][8] Deliveries of the all-electric version with a range of 80 km (50 mi) began in the U.S. in March 2013.

(in Toyota iQ - Wikipedia)

It was never meant to be sold, just a demo.

Many reviewers praised iQ for its road handling, engines and overall praticality, regarding the ICE versions, of course. My wife was very impressed with a test drive once, unfortunately I didn't had the chance to.

#7 telmo744, Oct 13, 2016
    orenji likes this.
  8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Toyota's wiki spins a different 'after-the-fact' tale though, when read against several of Toyota's pre-release statements - such as this one;
    Toyota shortcircuits electric iQ The Globe and Mail | Electric Cars and Hybrid Vehicle - Green energy

Even the gasser has/had little chance with the micro car offerings already being pretty much over saturated by other manufacturers. If Toyota's idea is to reinforce the notion that "we tried - but no one wants 'em" . . . all they'll prove is few buyers want low range micro ev's. The Eygo as a 'standalone' ? I hope Toyota steps it up - a whole lot.

#8 hill, Oct 13, 2016
    Trollbait likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    does it get the $7,500. credit off that, and what are global sales?

10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That and whatever state incentive there is.
    It is available in South Korea, where it is built, California, Oregon, Maryland, and 'limited markets in Europe'. So any global sales figures are going to be poor. It has sold 2719 in the US up through September, though.:rolleyes:woohoo. It might be the best selling plug in with limited availability.

It got positive reviews in the auto press. If the CAFE rules had gotten rid of the foreign and domestic distinction for car fleets a few years ago, the Spark EV might have gone nationwide. With the arrival of the Bolt, GM might quietly phase the Spark EV out. Silver and white are the only color options on the car's Chevy site right now.

The smart ED is around $20k before incentives, but only has a range of 60-something miles. BEVs are already low cost to make compared to anything with an ICE without the battery, and the battery costs are improving. This Aygo EV should have a lower price than the Spark EV considering the battery prices should be lower. With it being a small A-class car, and the talk about city use, I don't expect it to break 100 miles in range though.

bisco likes this.
  11. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    One thing worth noting is that GM dealers are under extremely strict orders to not allow out of state buyers to buy the Spark EV new.

That tells me that they're selling it at a loss to meet ZEV mandates.

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Wirh each manufacturer federally limited to 200,000 units before their $7,500 irs credit phases out - i'd think gm would want to hold as many back anyway - just to give a bigger share to the Bolt.

13. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Is it a loss if it saves the manufacturer money elsewhere?

Toyota also limited out of state Rav4 EV sales near the end. These are/were both compliance cars for the ZEV program. GM had plans of expanding the Spark EV availability if expected rules changes to CAFE had panned out. Then they may have sold it at or even below cost for CAFE credits.

Battery costs have dropped since it was introduced. The Bolt is a larger car with nearly three times the range of the Spark EV. The price is $11k more, which is less than going from the 70 to 90 kWh pack on a Tesla S.

We'll likely never know if GM is selling the Spark EV at a loss, or if they just wanted to make sure they got ZEV credits for them. It is a good price with incentives for those that want one.

I just don't think it will take Toyota for us to get an affordable BEV. Technology and production is already moving towards that, and there are other players that have shown a stronger commitment to BEVs.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what do you mean by an affordable bev? with all shapes and sizes, how can that be defined? isn't the bolt affordable?

15. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You'll have to ask Telmo744, who I should have quoted along with you in my first post.

There are some affordable BEVs now, and more coming. The price is still on the high side, and incentives are needed, but battery costs are still going down.

A BEV that is affordable without incentives won't be because of Toyota. It will be because of Tesla, Nissan, and even GM with their battery company partners.

#15 Trollbait, Oct 13, 2016
    RCO likes this.
  16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The positive that I see in this news is that maybe one day, we'll see a Prius EV supplement the Prius Prime.

hill, RCO and Prius Maximus like this.
  17. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The ICE'd Aygo is priced at about 10k euros. Can you find an equivalent price BEV for sale now? Or even a 15k euro one (currently the price for a Yaris HSD)?
    Toyota Automobile | Alle Neuwagen Modelle im Überblick

I haven't seen Tesla, Nissan, GM exploring this city segment BEV market.
    Yes, Mitsubishi and even the VW group are already in, but starting from...
    26900euros (e-Up!)...Start < Volkswagen up! Immer mittendrin. < Volkswagen Modelle - alle VW Modelle auf einen Blick
    23790euros (i-MiEV)...
    Mitsubishi Electric Vehicle

Still on the high side... :ROFLMAO:

giora and bisco like this.
  18. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    And let's hope it gives the Model 3 (even the Bolt) a major run for it's money !!
    ;)

Tideland Prius likes this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    okay, i get it. affordable meaning at the very low end of all car pricing. but is that necessary? maybe in europe, i have no idea. in the u.s.? i think were getting pretty close, and should keep getting closer.

Trollbait likes this.
  20. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Keeping in mind the popularity of cars like the Aygo as city cars (what they're optimized for), and the fact that cities will ban ICE first, yes, it's necessary for there to be a BEV option.

And, because it is a city car that's mediocre on long trips anyway, a BEV need not be long range.