1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota's Next Prius: Hybrid X Concept Unveiled

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by KMO, Mar 7, 2007.

1. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Most automakers start to think a little outside the box when it comes to concepts, not Toyota. The Hybrid X debuted this morning at the Geneva Motor Show and is meant to be a look at the future of Toyota hybrid vehicles.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2007/03/new_prius.html

[​IMG]

2. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Wow!!

I'll take it.

3. KV55

KV55 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Oh yes. And 100mpg please.

4. Essayons

Essayons Essayons

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Looks very nice. It looks like a concept vehicle, lots of cosmetic stuff that won't work on a production car. Not so sure about the glass roof, it will make it feel larger. I wonder what the power plant will be (plug in?)

5. texassalsa04

texassalsa04 New Member

Uhmmm...I love my current Prius and all, but the Hybrid X is, imho, very ugly. Ok, hideous is another word. I guess one man's trash is another man's treasure...or beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

My taste in car designs lean more towards new cars like the Civic coupe or sedan...even the new Camry is good looking...

6. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

7. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Outstanding!
    Lets see,,,,,add leather, Bose stereo, yep, sign me up!

8. Jerry P

Jerry P Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Beautiful! Lots of design cues from the Yaris hatchback. The headlights will need to be a bit more conventional but the design will sell. Nice to know that after I have 200,000 mi. on mine, there will be a nice vehicle to replace it.

9. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yes, i'll take a Barcelona Red Hybrid X please!!! (I would so buy this car in my current prius car color)... I have yet to see a car that didnt look good in Barcelona Red... The rav4, camry, yaris and prius all look great in it!

10. razzledazzlebee

razzledazzlebee New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(texassalsa04 @ Mar 7 2007, 08:16 AM) [snapback]401562[/snapback]</div>
    I agree. It looks like an ugly space car IMO. I think the Yaris looks like a cartoon car with how bulbous it is, and this is even more bulbous. I guess we're in the minority.

From the front, it looks like a dog barring its teeth.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bgdrewsif @ Mar 7 2007, 07:40 PM) [snapback]402039[/snapback]</div>
    Yaris comes in Absolutely Red, not Barcelona Red.

i love the wheels on this concept.

12. NineToez

NineToez New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill60546 @ Mar 7 2007, 08:06 AM) [snapback]401620[/snapback]</div>
    Toyota uses JBL as their audio vendor of choice.<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Mar 7 2007, 08:54 PM) [snapback]402054[/snapback]</div>
    Sadly, I think those wheels are just horrible on a radically pleasant designed car.

13. toyotablackbox

toyotablackbox New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I like the integration of the headlamps and front windshield as a design feature. After studying the many large pictures of the hybrid x I decided that it was not too bulbous, in fact it appears less so than the current Prius as the slab sides meet abruptly with some interesting rear curve/fin body panels that vertically separate the rear of the car. It will improve the Prius shape aerodynamically without sacrificing cargo space. It would be nice if the LED headlights and interior illumination also make production, the new LS460h hybrid has them, so why not the new 2010 Prius? I'm guessing the 'x' might also stand for 10 as in 2010 besides the x shape of the roof/windows. The interior although very futuristic looks as if it were designed for production, with some obvious show car tricks added, it looks like a natural progression of Prius interior design. No mention of powertrain indicates Toyota may still be debating how efficient they want to make the new Prius and what technologies will head into production such as plug-in capabilities, Li-Ion or LiP batteries, and ultracapacitors. Hopefully consumer demand will result in 100mpg PHEV with less focus on performance and more on fuel economy. I like where the Prius is headed, and also how Toyota has changed the focus of the Prius from the environmentalist's car to the car for every American.

14. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NineToez @ Mar 8 2007, 12:48 AM) [snapback]402083[/snapback]</div>
    I have a JBL in my 04 BC9 and find it unacceptable. If we can change our driving habits and methods of propulsion, Toyota can change audio suppliers from JBL/Levinson to Bose.

15. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

I'm calling fugly on this car.

I'm also calling unsafe in an accident. who in the right minds wants a glass roof over their head? I heard something a while back about automakers having to make their vehicles stronger in the roof section in the case of a roll over. ... all I can say is I wouldn't buy this thing.

16. nfschlaack

nfschlaack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(texassalsa04 @ Mar 7 2007, 07:16 AM) [snapback]401562[/snapback]</div>
    Yea, I'm with you on this one. I don't like it at all. But as you said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have a feeling though that it won't look anything like this for two reasons. One - it's still a concept car, and two - we all know that Toyota is a bit conservative when it comes to exterior design. Stay tuned....

On the other hand, if it looks like this..

[​IMG]

Sign me up!!!! :wub:

17. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PC-12 Fan @ Mar 8 2007, 11:53 AM) [snapback]402371[/snapback]</div>

I really like the "Euro" version of the Prius that you have in your posting (which was also the topic of discussion in a thread earlier this year). The picture of the Prius in this particular thread "Hybrid X Concept" looks like it was designed by a 5 year old child. In my not so humble opinion, I absolutely would not buy it.

(I really hope that the next production version looks like the Euro version as I'm seriously planning on buying the next version of the Prius when it is released.)

Keith :unsure:

18. ozerdem

ozerdem Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't like the way the back doors open. It looks like I would have to help the kids open and close them. I also do not like all of that sun that would be coming down through that glass top. It gives me an insecure feeling. <_<

19. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PC-12 Fan @ Mar 8 2007, 02:53 PM) [snapback]402371[/snapback]</div>
    Now, I don't like that at all. While it's similar to the Prius the small bits that are changed are not changed for the better IMO. If that is the 2009 Prius, I'm keeping my 2005.

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill60546 @ Mar 8 2007, 04:07 AM) [snapback]402158[/snapback]</div>
    While I agree that BOSE has great sound, it is mostly artificially created. Take a "test drive" of the ML system in the LS460 or the GS430.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(parrot_lady @ Mar 8 2007, 06:17 AM) [snapback]402191[/snapback]</div>
    Er.. ok. What about the Scion tC or MB E-Class or ES350 and to a lesser extent the MINI, RX330 and Pontiac G6??